FZ6 on a diet!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, as some of you know, i have a heavily modded 06 fz6n. Now i have replaced rearsets, exhaust, pretty much gutted under the seat, and around exhaust, fitted FE, put much lighter wave discs on the front, lighter levers, etc.

The three biggest weight losses were replacing the OEM exhaust, Front Brake Discs, and replacing the OEM rearsets.

Ok took the bike to the local weighbridge today and it weighed in at 170kg, and that was with 12 litres of fuel at .72kg per litre, which brings the weight down to about 162kg dry roughly. And my bike has a centre stand and side stand...although centre stand is coming off now i have a bike lift.

This is an 18kg weight saving from the dry weight Yamaha quotes for the FZ6N in it's specs sheet, which would also include oil, so rightfully you could deduct another 1kg or so from there as well.

That's a massive weight saving, would say it would contribute to overall performance of the bike considerably, having so much less weight to lug around, not as much say as the 9hp i have gained through engine,exhaust, & tuning mods, but definitely as much as a -1 front sprocket change.

Point being.....now you know how heavy the Rear fender, brake discs, OEM exhaust, and rearsets really do make your bike.

This is something else to think about when going for a performance boost from your FZ6.

:rockon:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Dry weight likely also omits brake fluid and coolant, no? In any event, you're right, weight savings FTW!

When I've got mine in track trim with no front end or stands, my mods, and only a couple gallons in the tank, I bet it's pretty light.

How much did you save on the rotors alone? When do we get too see a full set of photos???

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dry weight likely also omits brake fluid and coolant, no? In any event, you're right, weight savings FTW!

When I've got mine in track trim with no front end or stands and only a couple gallons in the tank, I bet it's pretty light.

I must admit that when i go Sport riding i try to go with just enough fuel to get me to my next fuel stop...there is a massive difference between full, and half full in terms of handling, bike becomes very top heavy with a full tank.

Taking the centre stand, and front fairing off a S model would definitely help lots!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
18 kg seems a tad too high...

It does doesnt it, but i have taken rear fender off, all the exhaust mounting from under rear seat, put titanium pipes on...massive difference (7kg at least), replaced stock indicators with carbon mini led's, Brake discs (1/3 the weight of OEM), Rearsets (which are also a lot lot lighter than OEM), Bar ends from heavy OEM to carbon, lighter handle bars, lighter levers (only marginally)....So maybe it's a bit high, and i should take it to another weigh bridge for comparison?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree less weight is the best and more reliable way to increase performance; quicker, better handleing, better braking. If I recalled correctly in the auto world, 5lbs = 1 hp.

When I installed my exhaust the stock muffler weighted 12.1 lbs, I failed to weigh the replacement one but I saved at least 5 lbs.

When I stripped my bike for the track day I removed about 15 to 20 lbs of stuff. I'll weight it today as I've not put the bike back together yet.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The best way to improve the bike's weight: rider diet.

Seriously though, it's an FZ6, not sport bike. Weight isn't an issue unless you're racing.

If you want to improve the feel of the bike, put the stubby R6 exhaust on it, and move the weight down. That's the biggest problem with the weight of the FZ6, where the weight is located, not the actual weight itself.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

I personally don't have any extra weight to lose.

Seriously though, it's an FZ6, not sport bike. Weight isn't an issue unless you're racing.

Seriously though, you're wrong.

Weight isn't an "issue" unless you don't push the bike THAT hard, period.

We're not talking about dropping fractions of a second off our lap times, we're talking about inspiring confidence at triple digit speeds with our bodies inches off the "racing" surface. Push the bike to its limits with a full 5.1 gallons and push it to its limits on reserive and then come tell me how you feel. This is a concept you can only really speak to once you've stepped into that zone where every input counts...took me a full year of track days before I noticed how much different the bike felt with a full tank of gas....and I'm not even fast!!!

And no, the FZ6 is not a "sportbike" when compared to the razor sharp race replicas available as of late, but a lightly modded FZ6 w/ sticky rubber will blow the socks off most anything from last century. :thumbup: I dig my FZ6...I see a track only SS in my future but for now I'm very content.

That said, I don't focus on weight when riding on the street....especially not when I'm riding 2up with luggage :D

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If you want to improve the feel of the bike, put the stubby R6 exhaust on it, and move the weight down. That's the biggest problem with the weight of the FZ6, where the weight is located, not the actual weight itself.

With a set of TB Titanium pipes weighing less than 5lb's, i dont think the exhaust is an issue, and weight is an issue if you want more performance from your bike, Sportsbike, or not!

You dont have to have your head over the bars on a r6 to justify wanting more from your bike...i want sportsbike performance in a package that does not tie my worn out joints from in knots....have said that about twenty times now...ever time someone tries to tell me i should not try anfd get the best out of MY bike, and tells me it's not a Sportsbike...160 something kg, near on 100hp, decent suspenders, tyres, and brakes....makes it my Sportsbike!

A sportsbike i can take my son in comfort & safety on, a Sportsbike i can load gear on, a Sportsbike that i can commute on, a Sportsbike i can take on the back roads, and ride with confidence!

Oh and as for the rider diet...lol, i am 40, have weighed the same for fifteen years, and there is little chance of me losing any weight...period!

:thumbup: