Ready for the Track

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well she's ready to go!

I didn't get all of the prep work done I wanted but the most important things are done, fluid containment and retorqued everything.

Here's what I wanted to get done, I'd say I got 60% of it done.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/track-tech-riding-techniques/7428-track-day-prep.html

So here she is looking lean and mean! :thumbup:

View attachment 9309
View attachment 9310

And here's all of the stuff I took off of her. Probably 10 pounds of pavement dragging stuff.

View attachment 9311

I really need rearsets, hey Wolfman, send me yours! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, you took a lot off. Looks great. :thumbup: Did you decide to wire anything? If so, pics?

Are you going to drop the bars down as much as possible for the track?

You're gonna have to use a lot of body position to keep those pegs off the ground at pace. I can't wait to hear how it went. Are you taking any video or anthing?

Ugh...can't wait to get back out there!

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was slacking on the wire. I need a drill press and some better bits. I snapped about 3 with my hand drill, so I only ended up wiring three things. I'll get it all done eventually.

I figure it is easy to remove a few things so if she happens to go down I won't damage as much.

The bike really feels great with the new tires, very flickable, this should be a ton of fun.

I'm not sure if I'll get peg down, we'll see. The track is a new one, a year old, but is supposed to be challenging.

Kilbane83 has done a track day there and enjoyed it.

Here's the school > https://www.elitetrackdays.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Here's the track > Harris Hill Road | About Us

Pretty fancy tape job, huh???

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck buddy, looks like you have got your bike well sorted for your ride day, nice to see someone who does a bit of homework before setting off on such a mission...

and as for my rearsets...get some! they rock! just about the best mod i have done...gear shifting is now smooth as butter, etc, as i said in my review of these little beauties!

Have you thought of putting rear axle, and or fork sliders on for such shenanigans?

:Sport:

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great !

we need to see videos or at least pictures of the day,,im sure you have already thought about your fellow forummates :thumbup:

soo looks like you wont be checking your speed on the track ;)

good luck,,i'm sure it will be a lot of fun!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great !

we need to see videos or at least pictures of the day,,im sure you have already thought about your fellow forummates :thumbup:

soo looks like you wont be checking your speed on the track ;)

good luck,,i'm sure it will be a lot of fun!!

You are right about not checking the speed. One time at band camp, er...in a race back in the day...I glanced at my speed and I was going 135mph setting up for a corner. I freaked! After that practice session I pitted and totally taped over the speedo. Later that season I completely stripped the dash and ran only a small tach.

What I don't have yet is a video mount and a digital video camera. My camera is an older Mini DV tape one so I don't think it will work that well.

There is a photographer that comes to each session so hopefully he gets a few shots of yours truely. :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, you took a lot off. Looks great. :thumbup: Did you decide to wire anything? If so, pics?

Are you going to drop the bars down as much as possible for the track?

You're gonna have to use a lot of body position to keep those pegs off the ground at pace. I can't wait to hear how it went. Are you taking any video or anthing?

Ugh...can't wait to get back out there!

I've dropped the bars on notch from where I ride on the street, about 5/8ths of an inch. It I can I'll drop them one more. The problem is tank and fairing clearance. I am within 1/16th or an inch and a good tank slapper with do some damage.

Really what I need is a track bike if I decide to do this more often. The FZ is a great bike but you just can't set it up for the track without some major chopping. The FZ6 Cup Fairing would help alot, but the front of the tank is so wide.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck buddy, looks like you have got your bike well sorted for your ride day, nice to see someone who does a bit of homework before setting off on such a mission...

and as for my rearsets...get some! they rock! just about the best mod i have done...gear shifting is now smooth as butter, etc, as i said in my review of these little beauties!

Have you thought of putting rear axle, and or fork sliders on for such shenanigans?

:Sport:

Thanks Wolf! I've had too many things "pop" up at the track so I try to double check everything before hand. You run the bike so hard on the track that what is fine on the street becomes a problem at speed and on the edge.

One time at band camp, I had done two warm up laps and was getting up to speed. At the end of the straight I grabbed a huge handful of brake and the brake lever went to the grip and I was not slowing!!! :eek: I had repositioned the brake lever earlier and what worked at street speed was not cutting the mustard at 120 mph. Foretunately the straight had some run off to I kept going, went down the run off and went "dirt farming". Learned a very good leason there on bike prep!

I argee with what you've said about the rearsets, a solid connection is the best thing you can have for smooth shifting. The rubber mounts are great for the street and good comfort but not to hot for crisp shifting.

I'll need to look into a set of the rearsets. You bought the "3's" right?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yep I got the type 3's.went for a decent run today,about 200km's.good mix of tight twisties,and big open sweepers and they were just fantastic.one point of warning,on any ride that is longer than half hour you better be wearing decent boots or these solid mounted suckers will cane your feet!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yep I got the type 3's.went for a decent run today,about 200km's.good mix of tight twisties,and big open sweepers and they were just fantastic.one point of warning,on any ride that is longer than half hour you better be wearing decent boots or these solid mounted suckers will cane your feet!

Oh I bet they will! BUZZZZZZZZZZZ! They sure look nice however and I bet the shifting is great!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I bet they will! BUZZZZZZZZZZZ! They sure look nice however and I bet the shifting is great!

yes the difference is akin to the difference upgrading suspension,or fitting pciii,like night and day!

In reality by doing these things we are replacing lower spec road orientated own kit for track ready gear.