F-22 Raptor

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woooo hoooo, just finished putting this baby together. I decided to stay off the bike a few days and managed to build this.....

attachment.php

Just waiting for a calm not so windy day or evening to do the maiden flight. Hopefully this winter while the bike is parked, I'll get the rest of the projects off the workbench. LOL

If anyone is interested, I got it from these guys.

YB 22

Video

Watch the video on it, that's what got me hooked. :rolleyes:

Edit: I just saw this on Youtube, video of a guy building this, if you're bored and need something to watch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lftTNi3aNo"]YouTube - Build A Yardbird RC YB-22 In 5 Minutes[/ame]

Last edited:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So the winds finally dropped today, 10kph with a temperature of 3°C. :eek: Gotta take what you can so I did the maiden flight. I picked a motor to produce just a sick amount of thrust; this thing shot out of my hand on take-off. Flew pretty good for about a minute and a half, no trim necessary, then the right aileron servo froze, thankfully in the up position. Once realizing a malfunction I harriered the jet in for a pancake landing (no damage):shakehead:. Took it in and ripped out the brand new servo.

I know, I know, this is a motorcycle forum. The LHS was open today where I bought the servo from so I jumped on the Fizzer and headed down to exchange it. Did I mention it was 3°C out? Damn, it was cold on the hands for some reason. It was a piddly 16km there and another 16 back. I kept grabbing my frame sliders at the red lights to give the hands a warm up, and when I was in the LHS, I had shoved the gloves on top of the engine head from the RHS :thumbup:. Man those felt good when I put them back on for the ride home.

Anyway, new servo installed, gonna try it again sometime next week? :rolleyes:

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like fun biker. I just got my planes out. I crashed my 40 size trainer hot dogging it. I maidened my 60 size p51 and it was a dream.:thumbup:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like fun biker. I just got my planes out. I crashed my 40 size trainer hot dogging it. I maidened my 60 size p51 and it was a dream.:thumbup:

Which kit is the P51? That's a step up, just last year you and Danny were flying trainers, weren't you?

Thats a sweet lil plane, how much was the kit? i could stand to have another in the hanger.

I think it was $50+shipping from Texas. I probably should have order it with the Dualsky or Motrolfly brushless motor but I wasn't thinking. I went with the GP Rimfire 28-26-1600 that I got locally. Bad thing with these motors is their mount is a 3 point not 4 like the others. I had to make an adapter to go 3 to 4 but it worked out at the end.

attachment.php

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Which kit is the P51? That's a step up, just last year you and Danny were flying trainers, weren't you?

I think it was $50+shipping from Texas. I probably should have order it with the Dualsky or Motrolfly brushless motor but I wasn't thinking. I went with the GP Rimfire 28-26-1600 that I got locally. Bad thing with these motors is their mount is a 3 point not 4 like the others. I had to make an adapter to go 3 to 4 but it worked out at the end.

attachment.php

Sweet set up, what are you into it for total? if you dont mind me asking.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet set up, what are you into it for total? if you dont mind me asking.

That's what I'd want to know. Assuming you already have the remote, how much was the rest of it to build? The kit for just the plane doesn't obviously come with everything. What else did you need to buy?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, what doesn't come in the package....

• Hitec HS-56 servos, 2 of them to run an elevon setup.
• Brushless motor, spec'd properly, rule of thumb for crazy vertical, go 100 watts per ounce of plane, I used the Great Planes RimFire 28-26-1600
• Lithium polymer battery, 3S cell (11.1V), 1350mAh, used the FlightPower EVO Lite V2
• 25A brushless speed controller, I used the Castle Creations Phoenix-25, sometimes referred to as a BEC
• Deans connector between battery and BEC, another one between the BEC and the brushless motor.
• APC 7x5E (electric version) propeller
• Futaba R608FS 2.4GHz FASST spread spectrum receiver
• Foam safe glue and some kicker (glue accelerator).
• Acrylic paint which I air brushed on as spray paint propellant will eat the foam.

That's what's in the plane and a compatible transmitter for the pilot. Difficult to say how much I sunk into this thing because I had most of this already salvaged from other planes. The pricing in your area could either be more or less for the parts than what I paid.

I bought the servos, motor, prop, and paint. The servos were $19 each, another $45 for the motor, $3 for the prop, and another $2 for the paint. So, I put in an additional $88 into the plane to get it in the air. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I flew it for a longer maiden flight after work today, 9 minutes to be exact. A prop turning over 12k rpm gets to be a little noisy for electric flying in the neighborhood little alone a FZ6 with Two Bro exhaust. Anyway, it flew great with almost unlimited vertical. I think it’s a winner. :thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, what doesn't come in the package....

• Hitec HS-56 servos, 2 of them to run an elevon setup.
• Brushless motor, spec'd properly, rule of thumb for crazy vertical, go 100 watts per ounce of plane, I used the Great Planes RimFire 28-26-1600
• Lithium polymer battery, 3S cell (11.1V), 1350mAh, used the FlightPower EVO Lite V2
• 25A brushless speed controller, I used the Castle Creations Phoenix-25, sometimes referred to as a BEC
• Deans connector between battery and BEC, another one between the BEC and the brushless motor.
• APC 7x5E (electric version) propeller
• Futaba R608FS 2.4GHz FASST spread spectrum receiver
• Foam safe glue and some kicker (glue accelerator).
• Acrylic paint which I air brushed on as spray paint propellant will eat the foam.

That's what's in the plane and a compatible transmitter for the pilot. Difficult to say how much I sunk into this thing because I had most of this already salvaged from other planes. The pricing in your area could either be more or less for the parts than what I paid.

I bought the servos, motor, prop, and paint. The servos were $19 each, another $45 for the motor, $3 for the prop, and another $2 for the paint. So, I put in an additional $88 into the plane to get it in the air. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I flew it for a longer maiden flight after work today, 9 minutes to be exact. A prop turning over 12k rpm gets to be a little noisy for electric flying in the neighborhood little alone a FZ6 with Two Bro exhaust. Anyway, it flew great with almost unlimited vertical. I think it’s a winner. :thumbup:

So, assuming all that I have is a remote... I'm looking at $146 for the Motrofly combo that includes the motor, prop, battery, and speed controller. What else would I need to complete the package?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, assuming all that I have is a remote... I'm looking at $146 for the Motrofly combo that includes the motor, prop, battery, and speed controller. What else would I need to complete the package?

If you can resuse the receiver that came with your remote, that would reduce cost for sure. I might add that your remote or "radio" should be at least a 4-channel and be able to program in elevon because there are only two control surfaces on this plane that control elevator and aileron. If you don't have a receiver, you need to get one that is compatible with your remote. What brand and model of remote is it? Then, all you need is 2 micro servos, foam safe glue, some paint to fancy it up, and some Deans connectors. Hmmmm, roughly $96 gets you the rest of the package.

attachment.php

Can't touch that even if you're in Tower Hobbies' Super Saver Club.

Edit: Also a LiPo charger if you don't already own one. These types of batteries require a specific charger. That's probably a deal buster right there. The first or initial upstart cost of getting setup cost the most but once you've got the staples, the next airplane is cheeper.

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
25A brushless speed controller, I used the Castle Creations Phoenix-25, sometimes referred to as a BEC
• Deans connector between battery and BEC, another one between the BEC and the brushless motor

Cool project man. Let us know how it flies.

I think you meant ESC though. A BEC is a completely differant animial.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Cool project man. Let us know how it flies.

I think you meant ESC though. A BEC is a completely differant animial.

Yah ESC too, it's actually a speed controller and a battery eliminator circuit of sorts because it takes the 11.1V from the battery and regulates it down to receiver voltage of 5 or 6 volts.

I already flew it once and it flies very well for an elevon plane similar to the Zagi and GP Slinger that I own as well, except this one has a nicer looking profile, more jet looking. The instructions call for some exponential but if your radio can't do it, just reduce the throws on the control surfaces. Also, the F-22 with everything in it including battery weighs 12.7 oz in case someone is trying to select a different motor for it. :thumbup:

Sometimes, the way I see it, if there is a descent plane out there for $50 or less, I seriously consider them because I have enough pieces floating around from retired planes. I retired the Extra Shock flier and moved all the electronics to the GP Cap 580 which I also test flew a week ago. :D

This is how I spend my winters when I can't ride the FZ. :( or mb it's :thumbup:

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, sweet plane there. I used to fly a lot RC planes back in the academy for like 4 years. I still have a pretty sweet Futaba Remote and all the servos that came with it (I think like 6). I also have the motor I had on the plane I crashed the last time... oh well.. I should pick up again on this hobby... it is pretty awesome! I noticed your Remote is Futaba as well... I love them! Mine is all digital too and programable... They just do whatever you want them to do!

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, sweet plane there. I used to fly a lot RC planes back in the academy for like 4 years. I still have a pretty sweet Futaba Remote and all the servos that came with it (I think like 6). I also have the motor I had on the plane I crashed the last time... oh well.. I should pick up again on this hobby... it is pretty awesome! I noticed your Remote is Futaba as well... I love them! Mine is all digital too and programable... They just do whatever you want them to do!

If you still have a radio that's programmable, that's half the battle. Seems like the hobby is getting cheaper and cheaper to get into. I normally fly nitro aircraft, but the electric is getting so cheap now it's so convenient to take an electric plane out to the field behind the house instead of packing everything up and driving to the airfield.

I love my Futaba's like I love my Yamaha. :thumbup: That 8AUPS was my second radio and currently has a FASST 2.4GHz module on the back which I use mainly now for the electrics. I started with the T6XA, then as the hobby progressed, bought the 9ZAP, sold it after a couple of years and now use the 14MZ as my main radio.

You should seriously consider getting back into the hobby. It's just another way to get out and relax, join a club and do what we do here. :D

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I have a five channel radio and four servos. It's not programmable though. If I wanted to get back into the hobby cheaply, what would be a good starter plane? I'd like to go with electric, as I remember gas engines creating a lot of mess and needing a lot of support equipment.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a five channel radio and four servos. It's not programmable though. If I wanted to get back into the hobby cheaply, what would be a good starter plane? I'd like to go with electric, as I remember gas engines creating a lot of mess and needing a lot of support equipment.

What make and model of radio is it? Electric is so appealing because there is no mess but the initial start can be costly depending on the route you take. There are two paths you can take with the motors, brushed or brushless. Brushed motors do not last as long and are not as efficient. For the choice of electric motor then decides the type of speed controller you need as there are brushed and brushless, each not interchangeable with each other.

Then there is the battery technology available. Two most common types are the NiCad and the LiPo cells. NiCads are heavier and have memory meaning unless charged and discharge properly will lose their capacity. LiPo’s do not have memory and are lighter but can be more dangerous if not charge properly or with the right charger. LiPo’s need special charges and usually cost more than chargers that do only NiCads. Intelligent or smart chargers can usually do both and charge up to a maximum current. LiPo’s should also be charged with a balancer to ensure equal charge on multiple cell packs.

Great Planes offer electric starter packs at a descent price. Great Planes Brushless Power System E-Perf Series
Good stuff and economical but the motor requires some consideration on the type of plane you want to use it on. Not all motors can swing any size of prop or produce the kind of power you need to pull the plane along. It’s kind of like a 250 or a 1000cc engine in the FZ6. Underpowered or overpowered.

Lastly on considering battery cell size and capacity is the weight and what it does on wing loading as well as how long do you want the battery to last in the air before a recharge. A heavily loaded winged aircraft will need to fly faster in order to stay in the air, while a lightly loaded one can fly much slower. However, the battery selection capacity size determines the overall weight also determines the flight time. The heavier they are, likely the longer you can fly. For me, 10 minutes of flight is plenty. 3 minute flights are a waste of time.

I only mention this because whatever plane you decide to fly, you need to match a motor, speed controller, and battery.

Which starter plane to get? Maybe buy one that has the motor and controller packaged in because you’ll be surprised what you can get these days.

FlyZone Cessna 182 Skylane Ready-to-Fly Electric Airplane

This one has everything in the kit. Just charge and go flying. High winged airplanes are good first planes as they tend to be more stable, especially for the beginner. Stay away from the scale war birds until you get use to the controls and that flying it away and towards you, and landing are smooth and controlled. A computer simulator also helps in getting the skills faster before actually flying which can save you on crash money.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, I get a little verbose sometimes. All you really need to know were the last couple of paragraphs. :rolleyes:

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
If you still have a radio that's programmable, that's half the battle. Seems like the hobby is getting cheaper and cheaper to get into. I normally fly nitro aircraft, but the electric is getting so cheap now it's so convenient to take an electric plane out to the field behind the house instead of packing everything up and driving to the airfield.

I love my Futaba's like I love my Yamaha. :thumbup: That 8AUPS was my second radio and currently has a FASST 2.4GHz module on the back which I use mainly now for the electrics. I started with the T6XA, then as the hobby progressed, bought the 9ZAP, sold it after a couple of years and now use the 14MZ as my main radio.

You should seriously consider getting back into the hobby. It's just another way to get out and relax, join a club and do what we do here. :D

I knonw man! There is a RC planes track here in town and I know they have a big Club and shows along the year... I need to check it out... but first I need to get a decent job since I was laid off not a long ago from my last job... yeah it sucks... oh well....