Study: ABS reduces motorcycle fatalities 38%

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
A study released yesterday says that fatalities in ABS-equipped motorcycles was 38% lower than non-ABS bikes:

Antilock Brakes Could Cut Motorcycle Fatalities

This is a pretty compelling piece of information. Would be enough for me to consider upgrading to a bike that had it (don't EU models of FZ6 have ABS?). Whenever you see a statistic, it gives you no info about cause-and-effect. It could well be that there are fewer deaths because a) people concerned about safety enough to spring the extra grand for ABS ride better to start with; b) the types of bikes that have it (mostly sport-tourers?) attract a more sedate more skilled set of riders (supposition).

Two key excerpts:

"The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said Wednesday that the fatal crash rate involving motorcycles equipped with optional antilock brakes, or ABS, was 38 percent lower than the rate involving similar motorcycles without the systems.

"...Safety officials have been concerned about a steady rise in motorcycle deaths. More than 5,100 motorcyclists died in 2007, compared with 2,294 fatalities in 1998. The deaths have climbed as vehicle miles traveled have grown by more than 20 percent during the period and motorcycle registrations have surpassed 6 million, compared with 3.8 million in 1998. In the report, researchers studied eight motorcycles that offer antilock brakes as an option. They found there were 6.6 fatal crashes per 10,000 registered motorcycles without antilocks in 2005-2006. The rate for the same bikes equipped with antilocks was 4.1, or 38 percent lower, during the same period."

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking point (b) hits it on the head.
Our local paper had an article about the rise in motorcycle deaths in Utah a couple days ago; I wrote a letter and the editor called me today and said it'd been approved for publication. I'll post a link to it when it comes out.

A

Aggietaco

I'm actually suprised that more models aren't offered with ABS in the US. The wee strom was a serious consideration for me before buying the FZ because of the ABS option. I mean hell, I lock up my rear every now and then just coming to a stop at a light.

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Why is ABS only standard on cars?
like you need more safety than a big steel cage.

You'd think more motorcycle manufacturers would have ABS.

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Standard on cars? Certainly widespread, but not standard. Personally I don't want it on my car but would prefer it on the bike.

Well, most cars... almost every car commercial i see ABS is standard.
Except maybe a Kia or Hyundai.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Cruising some car mfg websites... Ok, I'm actually surprised how many models are coming standard with ABS.

Back to motorcycles, thought I heard Honda has declared they were making ABS standard on all bikes in the next few years.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
My Fazer has ABS & it's saved my arse more than once, so I don't need convincing of its merits.

However, I did read an article a while ago (can't remember where or I'd publish a link) that said the geometry of sports bikes made them unsuitable for ABS - too unstable when the ABS kicked in. Although Honda have just made in-roads into solving that problem.

The other big issue with ABS is that super skilled riders can stop quicker without ABS (e.g. Stoner, Rossi etc.). And, who is going to say "I'm such a crap rider, I need ABS"

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
My Fazer has ABS & it's saved my arse more than once, so I don't need convincing of its merits.

However, I did read an article a while ago (can't remember where or I'd publish a link) that said the geometry of sports bikes made them unsuitable for ABS - too unstable when the ABS kicked in. Although Honda have just made in-roads into solving that problem.

The other big issue with ABS is that super skilled riders can stop quicker without ABS (e.g. Stoner, Rossi etc.). And, who is going to say \"I'm such a crap rider, I need ABS\"
I Am, with the best will in the World I know If I was Braking in an emergency situation I would most probably be unable to release the brakes to prevent a lockup and steer out of trouble. ABS hopefully should take care of the brake locking allowing me some control in steering to safety.
FooFazer (crap rider):eek:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
Of those who wrecked in the study, how many had taken MSF training? I still think that is the biggest "safety" device riders can have (The stat from the "Hurt" study is something like 92% of riders in accidents were untrained).

The Hurt Study Summary - webBikeWorld

With that said it would be nice to have ABS on the rear wheel just as an added safety measure though. I tend to use very little pedal pressure back there anyway.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any good reason why you wouldn't want ABS on your car?? :confused:

Generally no but three things come to mind:
1) When towing something I would prefer not to have ABS. Under extreme loads and extreme braking situations the ABS action on the brakes is severe enough to be transferred to the load you are towing which can cause the load to become unpredicatable

2) Under certain situations I would prefer my tires to lock up as a skid can be more predictable in certains situations than ABS. However 9 times out of 10 you don't want your tires to lock up so ABS is more beneficial

3) Many people are still under the impression that you should 'pump' your brakes. Pumping your brakes on ABS actually makes it stop much worse than if your tires just locked up.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

The other big issue with ABS is that super skilled riders can stop quicker without ABS (e.g. Stoner, Rossi etc.). And, who is going to say "I'm such a crap rider, I need ABS"
Me mate......lol. Crap but alive.

Nelly

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
2) Under certain situations I would prefer my tires to lock up as a skid can be more predictable in certains situations than ABS.

Why???? How can a car be less predictable with ABS? It's whole concept is that you can still steer while braking hard. I had non-abs cars and abs cars for years and I can't really see your point. Unless you are driving in gravel roads. My bike is also ABS equipped and I wouldn't take it elsewise.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why???? How can a car be less predictable with ABS? It's whole concept is that you can still steer while braking hard. I had non-abs cars and abs cars for years and I can't really see your point. Unless you are driving in gravel roads. My bike is also ABS equipped and I wouldn't take it elsewise.

Example that's happened to me.

Winding road just starting uphill.

Very powerful car, ease on the pedal.

Ice, slide, 100mph, trees everywhere.

Fishtailing, can't retrieve it, see a gap in the trees.

As soon as car is sliding the right direction.....lock up....straight through gap and stop in grassy meadow.......Jump out and water a tree with relief.....LMAO.

Won't happen every day but I'm glad i didn't have ABS then.
Cheers
Mike

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Example that's happened to me.

Winding road just starting uphill.

Very powerful car, ease on the pedal.

Ice, slide, 100mph, trees everywhere.

Fishtailing, can't retrieve it, see a gap in the trees.

As soon as car is sliding the right direction.....lock up....straight through gap and stop in grassy meadow.......Jump out and water a tree with relief.....LMAO.

Won't happen every day but I'm glad i didn't have ABS then.
Cheers
Mike

Heh...ok, I'll agree there. But seriously 100mph, power + ice don't go together...abs or not :spank:

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any good reason why you wouldn't want ABS on your car?? :confused:

Ok, but probably only good reasons to me! Primarily, I don't feel the cost benefit is worth it. I tend to keep my cars for a long time and perform almost all of my own maintenance. I view ABS as another complex item that will break down. After 8 years of winter driving in Colorado, I've not missed it.

Originally I was hesitant to have it on a bike for the same reasons, but after seeing youtube videos of bikes with ABS, it's very convincing. Lock the wheels on a car, well, release and go at it again. Lock wheels on a bike, you may not get another chance. Very different cost/benefit results.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site

Its kind of all ready been covered but when you lock the wheels of a car the path is pretty predictable... it is going in the direction of its momentum. This is most apparent in a slide situation (ie gravel or ice). With ABS it is much harder to predict what will happen if you brake hard and turn the wheels.

I'm not an ABS hater. I would prefer a car with ABS over no ABS. I was just trying to prove cases where you may not want ABS. It may be an extreme case but if you are in a slide you are going to hate ABS as it can make the slide even worse.