Bridgestone 016

F

formula154

I just put my new Bridgestone 016 front tire on. I worked my self to death taking the back tire off and put a couple of marks on the rim. When it came time to take the front tire off I decided the heck with this. I got my 4 1/2 inch side grinder with a 1/8 inch masonary blade and cut the tire off. It cut pretty easy and was a heck of a lot less work. The front tire looks like the tread is pointing the wrong direction. I put the direction of rotation arrow pointing in the right direction but it looks to me like the cuts in the tire would push water toward the center of the tire instead of to the out side of the tire. I was just wondering if it matters if the front wheel was turned around (left side on the right side). Does any one know the answer to that?

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
The tires are directional and are to be mounted in the indicated direction only. The tread appears backwards, but this is how it is supposed to be. Several tire makers have started doing this. It is supposed to help prevent cupping on the tire. (IIRC)

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
The tires are to be installed w/the arrows or pointers forward. They're not to be installed backwards.

Ok, you got the tires off - what's the trick on installing the new ones on the rims?
Reason I ask is that I'll soon be doing it also!:Flash:

F

formula154

I know the tires are supposed to go in the direction indicated on the tire. I am just wondering if there is any reason that you can't flip the wheel around as long as the tire is going in the right direction. Like flip the wheel around before you put the tire on.

F

formula154

The tires are to be installed w/the arrows or pointers forward. They're not to be installed backwards.

Ok, you got the tires off - what's the trick on installing the new ones on the rims?
Reason I ask is that I'll soon be doing it also!:Flash:

There is a good article somewhere with pictures and everything. I am not sure where it is but if someone can tell you it is a good reference. Use lots of soapy water to lub the wheels tires and tire irons. I would just say don't try to go to far to fast. Just ease a little down at a time.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the tires are supposed to go in the direction indicated on the tire. I am just wondering if there is any reason that you can't flip the wheel around as long as the tire is going in the right direction. Like flip the wheel around before you put the tire on.

The wheel is directional too. I don't know if it would actually fit backwards or not, or what the implications would be if it did. I believe the rim is designed to catch air for cooling. I don't know that for a fact or anything, it's just a guess from looking at it.

F

formula154

The wheel is directional too. I don't know if it would actually fit backwards or not, or what the implications would be if it did. I believe the rim is designed to catch air for cooling. I don't know that for a fact or anything, it's just a guess from looking at it.

I was just wondering. Of course the back wheel has a sprocket on one side and a disk brake on the other. The front has a disk break on both sides. i marked the wheel to make sure I put it back on the way I took it off but I started wondering if it really mattered as long as the tire goes in the right direction. It looks like those little cuts on the tire would direct water toward the inside of the tire but the cuts probably don't direct much water anywhere. they just let you know how much tread you have, on the 016