Twin headlight conversion kit wanted for 1998 FZS6

Chephren

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

As most of you with a 1998 FZS600 will know that while driving at night you can barely see anything!

I've fitted a super bright bulb but it doesn't make any difference that I can notice.

I'm disabled and riding with one arm so I'm extra keen to get the light sorted to make things that little bit safer for me.

I've looked on eBay for the twin headlight conversion kit but it's nearly £60 and I haven't got that kind of money at the moment but with winter fast approaching I'm trying to find a second hand set.

If anyone has a twin headlight conversion for a 1998 FZS600 for sale at a reasonable price please get in touch either by Email: [email protected] or by phone on 07874855003 it'll be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

As most of you with a 1998 FZS600 will know that while driving at night you can barely see anything!

I've fitted a super bright bulb but it doesn't make any difference that I can notice.

I'm disabled and riding with one arm so I'm extra keen to get the light sorted to make things that little bit safer for me.

I've looked on eBay for the twin headlight conversion kit but it's nearly £60 and I haven't got that kind of money at the moment but with winter fast approaching I'm trying to find a second hand set.

If anyone has a twin headlight conversion for a 1998 FZS600 for sale at a reasonable price please get in touch either by Email: [email protected] or by phone on 07874855003 it'll be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi Dave! I Googled your bike and that year FZS600 is a really nice looking bike. I really like the lines. Your headlamp assembly and light design may be much like the S1 and S2 FZ6 where one headlamp on one side works and the other side is just a high beam lamp. On the FZ6 headlamp design (Faired Version) the high beam lamp was actually a dual filament lamp but they never used the low beam filament. Because of this you could actuate the low beam filament but had to modify the circuit to shut off the low beam filament when the high beam was used. There was also the issue of reflector design for that lamp assembly being designed for high beam only. Although the additional low beam helped with seeing and being seen it would have been even better with a properly designed reflector for low and high beam. I don't think it would have been that much of a stretch to produce a dual headlamp assembly with both High and Low beams. I have a Suzuki SV1000s with dual headlamps and that's how they designed it. Still even my SV had a lot to be desired and I tried better halogen bulbs. I was still dissatisfied with the output. I tried some new designed Cree LED lamps and they put out many more lumin than the halogen but again I had to play with aiming the height to get the best results.
The other very important science on having good visibility is how your eye works and where light isn't being aimed. I noticed with the LED l get more washing of light on the ground right in front of the bike. This is not good for the fact that it dilates your pupils. When your pupil are dilated from the ground washed light right in front of you it kind of negates the idea of having more light output projected forward because your eye is now less efficient for seeing in the distance. In other words most of what we see we don't see but instead we see light that is reflected off the the object. These designs are really important to our safety when it comes to seeing at night. I think the very best upgrade that eliminates the lack of of safe headlamp design from the factory of other mods is going to HID projectors with a high and low beam function. There is a person on our forum that used to do this mod on the FZ6 models and I'm betting this mod could also be done on your bike.

Chephren

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Motogiro cheers for your reply.

I was thinking about modifying it and as you said, one side has duel filament bulb but only one is used, You made a good point about the reflectors I'll have to take the headlamp assembly apart and see if I can even do it without the beam being all over the place, could end up with issues with power too, if it's designed for one bulb I doubt it'll have the juice to power 2 bulbs without some kind of mod but I'm about as good as a beached whale when it comes to electrics so it's going to take further investigation.
I've got a dodgy neutral switch at the moment which is going to take priority but once that's done i'll be back on the twin headlamps.

If/when I find a solution I'll post back and update, I'll search the forum again because this topic must have come up before so I'll see if I can pick up a few hints and tips from previous posts, hopefully it'll be easy enough for me to do myself, I've only got one arm and not much will stop me but wiring and connecting wires may need some help from brother.. Fingers crossed... :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Motogiro cheers for your reply.

I was thinking about modifying it and as you said, one side has duel filament bulb but only one is used, You made a good point about the reflectors I'll have to take the headlamp assembly apart and see if I can even do it without the beam being all over the place, could end up with issues with power too, if it's designed for one bulb I doubt it'll have the juice to power 2 bulbs without some kind of mod but I'm about as good as a beached whale when it comes to electrics so it's going to take further investigation.
I've got a dodgy neutral switch at the moment which is going to take priority but once that's done i'll be back on the twin headlamps.

If/when I find a solution I'll post back and update, I'll search the forum again because this topic must have come up before so I'll see if I can pick up a few hints and tips from previous posts, hopefully it'll be easy enough for me to do myself, I've only got one arm and not much will stop me but wiring and connecting wires may need some help from brother.. Fingers crossed... :)

I'm going to PM you a link that might help... :)

Chephren

Reaction score
Visit site
Top man, received with thanks.. now the electrician in me is going be tested, as I was a bricklayer before my accident my sparky skills ain't too good but my dad did buy me a multi meter about two weeks ago, I think it'll come in very handy with this project.

Weather has been awful so I haven't been able to do anything to the bike yet but as soon as we get a dry day I'll give it a try, fingers crossed I don't wreck it lol