Question Split lanes with bags

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about to embark on putting bags on. I got to wondering, how will this affect my ability to split lanes? Anybody try it?
Not that I'm trying it at highway speeds, but in traffic jams, I will up to about 35 mph.
I know most V twin baggers don't.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW - I don't lane split (illegal in my state), and only have 'bags' on for longer road trips, so that's sparingly - bottom line, not sure I'm the best to definitively answer this. Here is my 2 cents - if I recall, the Givi side bags were not the issue for me (as their weight is kept low) - rather, the Givi monokey _was_, esp. if I had some weight up there. Not top-heavy, not "tail wagging the dog", but - I could tell and feel it play a role on my balance, and had to counteract a bit.

IMG_20160130_213418539.jpg

Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't concerned about weight. I was more concerned about squeeze space, if they stick out any wider than my legs would, and turning / trailing line, as the rear wheel of a vehicle usually travels a different line that the front wheel.
I'm missing a bracket to mount them anyway, so this may be considered for future reference or if helpful to someone else.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't concerned about weight. I was more concerned about squeeze space, if they stick out any wider than my legs would, and turning / trailing line, as the rear wheel of a vehicle usually travels a different line that the front wheel.
I'm missing a bracket to mount them anyway, so this may be considered for future reference or if helpful to someone else.
Got it. Sorry for not understanding. Yeah, mine _do_ stick out more/further than my legs. I'm honestly not certain when if ever there was a _need_ to lane split when on longer road trips. Maybe in more populous areas... good luck