Nicked caliper piston

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As I prepare to upgrade my S1 to R6 forks, I began preparing my fleabay brake calipers by disassembling and cleaning while I wait for the new caliper seals. And as luck would have it, one of the larger pistons has some surface damage:

20180811_114139.jpg

The marks are toward the top of the piston. There is some drag when I scrape a fingernail across, so I need to do something. I might just purchase new pistons for peace of mind, but I also want to hear options.

If I were to attempt a rescue, I am guessing that a sanding / polishing would be in order.

So my question is: If you were going to try to salvage this piston, what would you do?

Thanks

Replace! That said if it binds at all after clean up and costs you a set of pads early, now you're out pads and piston.

If cleaned up, its not like it will cause a catastrophic brake loss but could leak and cause other issues. Pay up and fix it right is the best choice. Especially if you're waiting on parts already.

I ordered the replacements, which was my likely choice.

But hypothetically, does anyone know of a preferred method to refurbish?

I ordered the replacements, which was my likely choice.

But hypothetically, does anyone know of a preferred method to refurbish?

+1 on replacement, no question.

Looks like someone grabbed it with a vise grip vs using air to blow the piston out. .

As for repair, You could use a fine file on the high spots down BUT you still have the low spots that will either leak or tear up your new seals..

+1 on replacement, no question.

Looks like someone grabbed it with a vise grip vs using air to blow the piston out. .

As for repair, You could use a fine file on the high spots down BUT you still have the low spots that will either leak or tear up your new seals..

My guess as well, especially after I blew mine out with air. BIG pita! Had to reinsert those that came out too far and left the others deep in the caliper. I was laughing because initially I thought if that was happening I could use my fingers to hold the loose ones in longer while I GENTLY released the air. That idea went out the window when I did my first one and realized that the caliper pistons snapped down onto my wood shim like a bear trap :).

Anyway, new stuff on order. Can't imagine reaching for the brake lever wondering if the nicks were chewing up the lower seal.

Yep, air is the only way to go with a rag opposite the piston to catch it..

When it lets loose, and your finger is there, you'll KNOW IT!

That was the hard part, re-assembly is easy peezy...

Back