K&N Air Filter Performance Gain

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Well as you know many of us have a K&N Air Filter installed, and we all feel like it gives the FZ a littel added something, but none of us really knew what that little added something was...so, I decided to ask K&N.

My question to K&N:
Hello,

I have a 2006 Yamaha FZ6 and just installed a K&N Filter on it. I am a member of an FZ6 Forum, Yamaha FZ6 Forum Community and many of the riders on there have done the same, we all have one burning question, is there an increase in horsepower? If so, how much?

I tried to use the K&N Power Gain Search by vehicle on your website, but it did not indicate any horsepower increase.

Thank you for any info you may provide.

K&N Responded Promptly With (permission to share this on the forum was granted by Mr. Walden):
Hello,

Thank you for your interest in K&N products. K&N direct replacement filters which install into your vehicle's factory air box can provide an increase of between 1 and 4 horsepower. Results will vary depending on your application, driving habits, load on the engine, existing air system restriction, and other factors. If you have any further questions please call our Customer Support at 1(800)858-3333. Have a great day.

Thomas Walden
Technical Support &
Sports Marketing

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for doing this! I was starting to wonder if it would help at all. If you read my posts yesterday I was all excited about doing the filter mod, but I read Hellgate's post somewhere where he said it didn't help much except maybe it sounds better with the K&N. I guess the best way to find out is to get a dynotune after the filter has been installed.

Also, FWIW, I was checking on dynojets website for available maps and they have the same map for Scorpions (my exhaust) with a stock or after market air filter. I don't want to read too much in to it :(

And lastly, if not performance, we at least get an air filter that has a million miles warranty and can be reused :thumbup:

-Manas.

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
I too just received an email from K&N. See below:

"Thank you for your interest in K&N products. When installing a K&N replacement air filter or performance intake onto your motorcycle, no tuning adjustments such as re-jetting or re-mapping should be required if your bike is 100% stock. If you have added other aftermarket performance upgrades, such as slip-on mufflers or pipes, re-jetting or re-mapping of your bike’s fuel system may be required in order to achieve the correct air/fuel mixture for your operating conditions. You will not need a new computer, just a re-mapping of the original computer."

Hope this helps...it did for me.

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
I too just received an email from K&N. See below:

"Thank you for your interest in K&N products. When installing a K&N replacement air filter or performance intake onto your motorcycle, no tuning adjustments such as re-jetting or re-mapping should be required if your bike is 100% stock. If you have added other aftermarket performance upgrades, such as slip-on mufflers or pipes, re-jetting or re-mapping of your bike’s fuel system may be required in order to achieve the correct air/fuel mixture for your operating conditions. You will not need a new computer, just a re-mapping of the original computer."

Hope this helps...it did for me.

Now only if you could remap the original ECU in the bike.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First of all, I would like to say that having used K&N on my various motor vehicles for many years, it is a great product. I so much wanted to stay out of this conversation as I have been sucked into it in many other forums such as these just on this subject, but I really hate to have people have the wrong idea about what this particular product offers you.

First of all, please do NOT think adding one is going to give you “additional” HP over what you have coming out of the factory. It will, however, allow you to use “more” of what you have for a longer period than a standard air filter.

And, no, you do not need to adjust anything on your bike to use one “even” if you have aftermarket exhaust system on your bike if you are using stock fuel control system. Only time you need to start monkeying (<- yes, new technical word :)) around with air/fuel ratio is if you use force induction system on your engine and you are “pushing” additional air into your cylinders. On naturally aspired engines (such as in our bikes), engine will NOT take any more air than it is designed to do so, no matter what you do. Stock fuel control system (which is generally tuned on the rich side) that comes with the bike will handle any range of air coming into the system from “no restriction” system (such as open box, no filter) to the badly clogged system (such as pretty dirty air filter – to a point of course. If there is no air, you are SOL).

Only time you need to do anything about your fuel/air mixtures is “if” you have aftermarket fuel control system and “you” adjusted (or tuned) yours to accommodate less air coming into your engine due to your airbox/filter design and leaned it out. If you have not done anything like that, you will be just fine.

Going back to the first point about “adding” HP… HP specifications that you see from engine manufactures specify “maximum” amount you will see from that engine under “optimum” conditions. Any decent “brand new” filter will work just as good as K&N for a very limited time. The advantage you get from K&N is the fact that, while others start to restrict air flow within first few hours of the operation which will result in decreased performance from your engine, K&N will not start restricting air flow for much much, and did I say “much”, more later in time. That is why K&N is good, it is not because it “adds” anything, it is because it does not “take away” anything until much later in life of the filter.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Going back to the first point about “adding” HP… HP specifications that you see from engine manufactures specify “maximum” amount you will see from that engine under “optimum” conditions. Any decent “brand new” filter will work just as good as K&N for a very limited time. The advantage you get from K&N is the fact that, while others start to restrict air flow within first few hours of the operation which will result in decreased performance from your engine, K&N will not start restricting air flow for much much, and did I say “much”, more later in time. That is why K&N is good, it is not because it “adds” anything, it is because it does not “take away” anything until much later in life of the filter.

+1

@ manas12 : You can, there are several post here about CO adjustment.

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all, I would like to say that having used K&N on my various motor vehicles for many years, it is a great product. I so much wanted to stay out of this conversation as I have been sucked into it in many other forums such as these just on this subject, but I really hate to have people have the wrong idea about what this particular product offers you.

First of all, please do NOT think adding one is going to give you “additional” HP over what you have coming out of the factory. It will, however, allow you to use “more” of what you have for a longer period than a standard air filter.

And, no, you do not need to adjust anything on your bike to use one “even” if you have aftermarket exhaust system on your bike if you are using stock fuel control system. Only time you need to start monkeying (<- yes, new technical word :)) around with air/fuel ratio is if you use force induction system on your engine and you are “pushing” additional air into your cylinders. On naturally aspired engines (such as in our bikes), engine will NOT take any more air than it is designed to do so, no matter what you do. Stock fuel control system (which is generally tuned on the rich side) that comes with the bike will handle any range of air coming into the system from “no restriction” system (such as open box, no filter) to the badly clogged system (such as pretty dirty air filter – to a point of course. If there is no air, you are SOL).

Only time you need to do anything about your fuel/air mixtures is “if” you have aftermarket fuel control system and “you” adjusted (or tuned) yours to accommodate less air coming into your engine due to your airbox/filter design and leaned it out. If you have not done anything like that, you will be just fine.

GREAT write up. :thumbup: