Having trouble finding a FZ6

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at what the motorcycle world has to offer, I've decided that an FZ6 would be a perfect choice for my first motorcycle. However, there's one hang up- I cant seem to find a suitable offer that fits within my preferences! Because of this, I have decided to consult the members of this form for a little help on where to look. Ive been keeping my eye on Craigslist and eBay for some time now, and have missed one opportunity that might have been the one, but most others have had something that doesn't fit in my list of specifications. If you have any advice, please don't hold back, the market for FZ6's seems pretty limited and I would be grateful for any advice. Also, please tell me if my expectations are unreasonable.

My preferences:
-Within 100 miles of 32825 (Orlando, FL) This is because I dont own a truck and would rather not ride the bike further than this to get it back. I also would like to stay away from renting a truck.
-Less than 12k miles
-Fair condition (Some scratches are ok, but nothing too beat up)
-Clean crash record and mechanically sound
-Service of motorcycle is kept up to date(No bald tires, stretched chains, worn out wheel bearings, etc.)
-Digital Speedometer(Not sure what year they started this)
-Priced reasonably(Looking at a nothing higher than $3500)
-Mostly stock(Nothing flashy, including but not limited to- extended swing-arm, flashy paint schemes, etc.)
-Not the "r" model
-2003 and up model

Thanks for your help!

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
really, you should be able to find a bike with those requirements. I got my 06 for 3000. Out got all of your requirements except for miles. It wa a little higher, but these bikes will go forever. I would put alot more focus on how out was maintained versus how many miles....sometimes a higher milage can just show how much the owner loved the bike

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick feedback!
BH322893, unfortunately those bikes wont work for me:(
The red one is over my price range.
I already contacted the seller of the black one, at which point he told me that there was 35K miles on it! I would rather not purchase anything that is over 12k if i can help it, Ive learned my lesson w/ high miles on my current vehicle haha!

ph0xx

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the first year they were made was 2004, but that's just a technicality...

It shouldn't be a problem to find one in your price range that meets your criteria. The main thing to remember is to be patient. The right one will come along. If you think you "missed one opportunity that might have been the one", then that wasn't the one. Just keep an eye out and check back frequently, because the good deals obviously are the first to go. You have to be ready to jump on it right away if something comes up. Good luck!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick feedback!
BH322893, unfortunately those bikes wont work for me:(
The red one is over my price range.
I already contacted the seller of the black one, at which point he told me that there was 35K miles on it! I would rather not purchase anything that is over 12k if i can help it, Ive learned my lesson w/ high miles on my current vehicle haha!

Thats a common missconception 35000 miles is not bad at all for a bike that just ment that the owner rode it instead of letting it sit in his garage. As long as it was well maintained. Just because there are many bikes for sale with under 10000 people seem to get that thing in their head that 10 miles on a bike = 100 on a car. There are plenty of bikes out there with well over 100,000 miles you just dont see them for sale because the owners dont get rid of them. Anyways basicly all im saying is dont be scared of a bike just because it has x amount of mile because the bike with only 500 miles on it could leave you on the side of the road just as easy...a little bit of maintence will go a long way...

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
Eh, i would still like a lower mileage bike just to be safe, however I'll keep what you said in mind. At this point, im more curious about where else i could look for available bikes that i haven't looked already (Craigs list, cycle trader, ebay).

Monstro

Reaction score
Visit site
wtf happened to your engine??!!

would like to know as well!

He held it on the rev limiter for 10 minutes doing a burnout :BLAA:
Just kidding I have no idea, but 14k is really low for a bad motor.

Was stationary at traffic lights thinking that the old ford transit truck on right of me sounded like crap, pulled away and realised it was me making a good awful noise, stopped straight away but cam belt had gone.

Was no consolation that both the recovery tuck driver and bike shop mechanic said they'd never seen a FZ6 engine screwed so young.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a common missconception 35000 miles is not bad at all for a bike that just ment that the owner rode it instead of letting it sit in his garage. As long as it was well maintained. Just because there are many bikes for sale with under 10000 people seem to get that thing in their head that 10 miles on a bike = 100 on a car. There are plenty of bikes out there with well over 100,000 miles you just dont see them for sale because the owners dont get rid of them. Anyways basicly all im saying is dont be scared of a bike just because it has x amount of mile because the bike with only 500 miles on it could leave you on the side of the road just as easy...a little bit of maintence will go a long way...

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Agreed. The worst bike purchase I made had 11k. I was the third owner and the prior ones just didn't do maintenance. And sitting too much is bad for a bike. It wasn't TOO bad though, and the low miles was part of why. I found this a while back for a friend:

http://sportbike.natkd.com/used_motorcycle.htm

Might make considering higher mileage bikes safer.

As far as the FZ6 for a first bike goes, I wouldn't do it unless you've got some experience riding on the street. I've got a link for that, too:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=983

-- A lot of people have done it though, and most are walking around OK still with all of their skin intact. Might want to consider a leather suit and crash bars. Good boots, too. And take the MSF course ASAP if you haven't and get to a track day as soon as you can. My $0.02...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, I have 72k on mine. And the only issue I have had with the engine was my Cam Chain Tensioner, which failed which cause my Crankshaft Pickup assembly to fail.