God Bless America

H

HavBlue

Thanks to our friends from the United Kingdom somebody wrote God Save Our Queen. In 1918, a Russian Jewish immigrant to these United States wrote lyrics and adapted them to that famed English tune. Unfortunately he didn't like them and when finished place them in a drawer. Fast forward 20 years to 1938 when an evil lurked on the European shores. Kate Smith, a famous female singer of the 30's asked this man if he had anything she could sing to celebrate the 4th of July and lift the spirits of the American people. Sadly the man said no. He then thought about it and opened the drawer containing that song he put lyrics to 20 years before. He showed the song to Kate and she said it was beautiful and would make him lots of money. He said he didn't like the song. When Kate asked why he said, it assumes God has blessed America and that America is beautiful. Kate replied by saying it is to both and wanted to sing the song.. He later said he could never take any money for it. Kate then asked what he would do with the money if he did. He thought about it and this later became a huge influx of financial resources for The Boy Scouts of America. The song was titled "God Bless America" and Kate did sing it for the 1938 Independence celebration. The writer's name you may know as Irving Berlin.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26_CSzk3Xw"]YouTube - God Bless America By Kate Smith[/ame]

So, God Bless America on this 4th of July and all that serve or have served her so well.

Charlie

Semper Fi.... OOH-RAH

W

wrightme43

Instant goosebumbs everytime I hear that song. I dont know why but thats just what happens.

This one too.

[nomedia="http://youtube.com/watch?v=RssIN3ustUw"]YouTube - Lee Greenwood - God Bless The USA[/nomedia]

W

wrightme43

As much as I think Toby Kieth is a pretensious douche this is a moving tribrute as well.

[nomedia]http://youtube.com/watch?v=vXustWc3xPM&feature=related[/nomedia]

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In 1918, a Russian Jewish immigrant to these United States wrote lyrics and adapted them to that famed English tune

Sorry guys I'm puzzled. I know the song but not the history until now, but I have tried to fit that to the tune of God save the queen and failed. I know that My country tis of thee was written to that tune. Did Berlin change some of the lyrics?

Help!!:confused:

H

HavBlue

Sorry guys I'm puzzled. I know the song but not the history until now, but I have tried to fit that to the tune of God save the queen and failed. I know that My country tis of thee was written to that tune. Did Berlin change some of the lyrics?

Help!!:confused:

OK, I had heard the history on the radio and posted it based on that. After doing some research I found that Berlin actually composed the song as well as having written the lyrics. Interestingly the song later inspired the Woodie Guthrie tune "This Land is Your Land." Berlin originally wrote the song in 1918 while serving in the U.S. Army at Camp Upton in Yaphank, New York. The song would later become the signature song for Kate Smith on her radio show. The royalties were given to both the Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts. Also worth noting is the attempt to make this song our modern national anthem in 1943. Also, you will find a Scout song titled "God Bless My Underwear."

God Bless My Underwear Lyrics

Additionally, an earlier and much more obscure song called "God Bless America" was written by Robert Montgomery Bird and published in 1834. This is not however the same song in terms of music or lyrics.

Now, anybody for Allan Sherman and Camp Granada?

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o09hwlOn40A[/nomedia]

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If Americans sing along to the National anthem then I think God bless America would be a good anthem, but my (limited) experience of hearing it is that people just stand pespectfully silent. That being the case keep what you have as it sounds great when played by a big brass band.

I would love to change ours because although I am not really anti monarchy, I just feel that a musical prayer for one person does not really reflect a country, its' people or national pride.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I was listening to Toby Keiths song about the soldier. I started to get really teary eye'd, but something stopped me. What is Toby Keiths military record to sing about such things? Or, is he just finding an area he can profit from? I mean there are a lot of ignorant flag waving americans willing to drop lots of money on his records and he is playing to that emotion. I started to get pissed about it. I would love to see if he served anywhere though. Would change my mind a good bit. For the record I served in the us navy during the first gulf war, I could sing a song like that and actually know what it means to sacrifice for my country.

Rant off

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was listening to Toby Keiths song about the soldier. I started to get really teary eye'd, but something stopped me. What is Toby Keiths military record to sing about such things? Or, is he just finding an area he can profit from? I mean there are a lot of ignorant flag waving americans willing to drop lots of money on his records and he is playing to that emotion. I started to get pissed about it. I would love to see if he served anywhere though. Would change my mind a good bit. For the record I served in the us navy during the first gulf war, I could sing a song like that and actually know what it means to sacrifice for my country.

Rant off

I am currently in Iraq and Toby Keith did i tour here a month or so back. A few friends and myself went to the concert since we didnt have a mission and it was a good change of pace. Back to my point he talked about this song and he said he wrote it after on of his USO tours to Iraq a few years back. He saw the sacrifices that the soldiers give and wrote it in honor.

*off soap box*

SPC Downs

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If Americans sing along to the National anthem then I think God bless America would be a good anthem, but my (limited) experience of hearing it is that people just stand pespectfully silent. That being the case keep what you have as it sounds great when played by a big brass band.

I would love to change ours because although I am not really anti monarchy, I just feel that a musical prayer for one person does not really reflect a country, its' people or national pride.
Same as mate,
Land of hope and Glory would be good.