Fz8

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I saw my first Fz8 today at the dealer while I was getting my front tire replaced.

Well there on the floor was the black streetfighter fz8 going for $7,500 - which is almost what I paid 3 years ago for the fz6 brand new. Well now, 24,000 miles later, I'm having my first questionable moment where I am contemplating trading up the fz6 and dropping a down payment on the fz8.

I'm super excited and can't stop thinking about this, and its haunting me at just the thought of getting rid of the fz6. I've put a lot of time and work into her, not to mention money. But this 800 has got me enthralled. I've always known I wanted the Fz1 one day, but didn't want to jump straight to the 1000cc without learning on a 600 first. But now with the Fz8 throwin into the mix, my dream bike now feels to be shifting from the Fz1 to the Fz8.

---------------------------2008 Fz6----------2010 Fz8----------2010 Fz1---------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Power:--------------------96.55 HP----------104.73 HP--------147.91 HP-------
Torque:-------------------46.5 ft.lbs---------60.5 ft.lbs--------78.2 ft.lbs-------
Dry weight:--------------407.9 lbs-----------465.2 lbs---------458 lbs----------
Power/weight ratio:-----0.47 Hp/Kg-------0.4964 HP/kg----0.7470 HP/kg----
Fuel capacity:------------5.13 gallons-------4.49 gallons-----5.55 gallons----
Fuel economy:-----------45 mpg-------------39.8 mpg---------36 mpg---------

*All specifications are taken from bikez.com under their review section.

I arranged this small table of relevant specifications for my own personal comparison. After laying out the data, I really am not terribly impressed with the horsepower and power/weight ratio difference between the fz6 and the fz8. Getting the fz1 over the fz8 would gain you nearly 43hp (over the 8hp gain of fz6 to fz8) with a whopping .25 hp/kg power to weight gain (over the .02 gain of fz6 to fz8)

The weight of the fz1 and fz8 seem to be the same, with no terrible difference in fuel consumption, just with drastically less horsepower and torque, therefore drastically lessens the fz8's power to weight. For what, only $1,000 or 2 more, I'm wondering if the fz1 IS still my upgrade.

The fz8 is so terribly sexy, but the fz1's specs would make me feel like the fz8 was a waste of money for what you're getting.

What do you guys think?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever i see an FZ1 i'm kinda like "eh", but when i see an fz8 on a showroom floor i'm like "that's a cool looking bike"...the 8 definitely is more unique looking than most bikes out there, but if it rides like crap, why bother (not saying that it does)...i'd see if you can find a dealer with a demo model of each and see which one you like better, if you can.

I dunno which i'd pick, would probably have to drive them before i could decide but that 8 is a good looking bike!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What's with that small gas tank on the FZ8?

That is one big turnoff for me, I hate looking for fuel when I go on road trips.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 for me. If the FZ8 is a sleeved down FZ1 type engine and the FZ1 has a better tunable suspension, it's not hard for me to decide what I'd buy between the two. For me it's also what's going on in the turns and I'm not sure (don't know all the specs.) but I think the FZ1 has the edge on suspenders.

C

CoolATIGuy

Didn't realize the FZ8 had that little performance improvement over the FZ6! Or that the FZ1 was that much more powerful (and a bigger fuel tank!)

I do like the FZ8 looks though...

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
The fz8 is huge to me for some reason. I sat on it and felt like an ant lol. But im also only 5'6". Never sat on an fz1 though