Fz6 to Ducati 848 to Fz6

dhcg86

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my first bike in May of 06--- I hopped on the freeway the next day ( scariest moment of my life) and rode 180 miles a couple of days later.

I loved my fz6. she was the greatest.

All my friends have r6s and r1's. I was different.

Then I started to see how upright I looked, and I hated the look.

And I thought that buying a racier bike would make me a better rider.

So after a couple of months of research, I got a Kawi Zx6r.

But I never took delivery, and because my gf cosigned, it was going to be 300 a month to insure it.

So I returned or cancelled that purchase.

I went to Hattar Motorsports in Marin Co, and was thisclose ( see that space inbetween.... thats how close) to buying a red triumph 675. Like we had the bike and loan went through..... until I saw the 2008 Ducati 848.

And I was in love.

Nevermind it was 17.5 after it was all said and done.

It was a ducati.

I got it.

And a couple of weeks ago I crashed her.

I love my duc. It is faboulous. I rode my Fz6 once since I bought it in the middle of Jan.

And now I'm back with my Fz6.

I realize my duc isnt worth 17.5 and $300 a month.

To be a better rider, I need to learn to RIDE again.

So I'm back.

And I'm ready.

But this bike needs a few adjustments---- brakes , the clutch and POWER.

I had a 134hp 849cc V twin. OWWWWWWWWWW!

Help me out guys!~

I wear full gear (all dainese), am into mods, and recently ordered pazzo levers. I like top notch ****!

Whatcha got for me?
I dont wanna spend hella money but it's important for me to love my bike again!

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Back Bro.
What good is 134horses at17.5G's if it's only gonna get you
OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW crasheddddddddddd.
Stick with the FZ and you won't regret it, ton's of mods to make it your own
And screw what your friends ride.. R6, Duc, Vespa.
Who the F**K cares, as per my MSF instructor.
Ride your Ride.
That's all that matters, as long as YOU'RE happy.
If your riding for image, then your in for the wrong reasons.
Get out early before you hurt yourself and maybe others,
OR be yourself and just enjoy whatever you choose because YOU chose it.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
get a set of pipes, cat elim pipe, do the airbox mod, K&N Filter, PCIII, cheange the sprockets to bring in the low end torque that the duc had. That is the easy stuff, if you really get into it you can start changing the internals of the engine to the R6 parts (Cams, ect...)

dhcg86

Reaction score
Visit site
"get a set of pipes, cat elim pipe, do the airbox mod, K&N Filter, PCIII, cheange the sprockets to bring in the low end torque that the duc had"

Purrrrrrfect.

I know I need to ride better- thats one reason I'm back on the Fz.

But dont diss the duc- those bikes are sweet.

If you ever get a chance, just ride one for a sec. Totally worth it.

Looks like alot of people like the two brothers exhaust...... hmmmm

Pc III?
Sounds like a no brainer.

Thanks guys!

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
"get a set of pipes, cat elim pipe, do the airbox mod, K&N Filter, PCIII, cheange the sprockets to bring in the low end torque that the duc had"

Purrrrrrfect.

I know I need to ride better- thats one reason I'm back on the Fz.

But dont diss the duc- those bikes are sweet.

If you ever get a chance, just ride one for a sec. Totally worth it.

Looks like alot of people like the two brothers exhaust...... hmmmm

Pc III?
Sounds like a no brainer.

Thanks guys!

The Ducati 848 in White is one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen. If only...

Anyways enough dreaming, I've got the 2 brothers exhaust on my bike and I love it. It's loud and deep, definitely turns heads, and completely drowns out my friends stock 2007 R6 exhaust. :Flip: I havent added a PCIII yet but it's in the works so I'll have to comment on added power later.

And dont worry about how you look, its how you ride. I rode with 2 R6s and a CBR600RR last weekend and I was with them the whole time (lets just say we weren't exactly doing the speed limit), the FZ6 definitely has enough power to keep up if you ride it correctly. :Sport:

P.S.

Glad that you were okay after your wreck. What happened? Any pics of the duc after?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
How long have youn been riding? Perhaps what you need is to attend a riding a riding school at a race track such as Reg Pridmore"s Class or keith Code's superbike school before you pour more money into the bike. Yes the mods wil help a little but if you really want to get the most out of your 6 become a better rider. A day on the track will take you to another complete level as a rider.
A set of pipes will add to the cool factor but won't make you a better rider, crashing is not good as you know.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I realize my duc isnt worth 17.5 and $300 a month.

QUOTE]

Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean you no malice what-so-ever. If you can not appreciate this bike, you are not ready for it. As other have said get on the track, learn to ride hard, fast and safe, then you'll be ready for the Duc and fully appreciate what it offers. Granted it is expensive and it sounds as if you bit off more than you can crew financially but that doesn't mean the Duc isn't worth it, you were not ready for it yet.

Glad to see you are still wanting to ride and are back on an FZ.

dhcg86

Reaction score
Visit site
Track day for sure- I have some pictures of the bike, but they're not the greatest ( camera phones and such).

Accident wasn't a big deal for me as I had all my gear on ( lowsided around 30 after I took a turn too fast- I didnt think I could hold it so I went onto the turn out- highway 1 around stinson) ( and if I hadnt of went down the people behind me would have; we were all going too fast)

Been riding for a year (maybe a year today actually.... hmm )

I've always thought about Superbike school- it's just a chunk of change for one day- however , it may be quite the investment in riding performance.

Thanks!

Si7878

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree the 848 is sex on wheels in white.. damn what a pretty girl..

and i'd buy one if i could in a heartbeat... its an artwork.. but i know i wouldn't enjoy it as much as my FZ, just coz i'd be too worried about scratching it..

and i agree it is all about how you ride.. i ride with all sorts.. an R1, Aprilia RSV Mille, and my bro has an old TRX850, i keep up with em, the big bikes power out better, but i can carry more corner speed, so it ends up about even.. funny thing is my bro with his TRX has the least power and oldest bike but hes the quickest, better rider than the rest of us...

one thing i'll say is get the best rubber you can, it makes a world of difference..

i have just ordered some custom bits for my naked fz.. got pipes already, clear indicators and tail light, fender eliminator, rear seat cowl.. and i dont feel i need more power but want her to look prettier and i prefer a more sporty position, i used to have a GSXR750, chose the FZ coz i was needing a chiropractor after a days ride.. lol.. but want it to be somewhere in between that and the upright position of fz..

so mods im doing:
belly pan
clipons
billet frame sliders
bar end mirrors
bought a second top triple clamp- grinding off the nubs for a smoother look- hope it doesnt weaken it.. dunno, we'll see i guess..
planning on moving instrument cluster back a little onto triple clamp as its the 04 model, sticks out and f***ks up the lines..

will post pics when done.. will look shweeeeet