Front wheel has shifted left

Josh1466

Reaction score
Visit site
I took off the front wheel and changed my tire today, now when I put the wheel on, the whole thing is shifted about 1/4'' to the left if you're in front of the bike looking head on. Nothing is bent, as the wheel is closer to the left fork than the right, and the caliper bracket on the left hits the outside of the brake rotor and the bracket on the right hits the inside. I switched the spacers to the opposite sides and my wheel is in the exact same spot. I torqued the axle to spec, thinking maybe that would help, but it did not. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Shoot, I had searched on this and didn't find anything, but I just did some more searching and found this: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/24961-front-wheel-install-help.html

I bet that is what is going on, I had no idea the front wheel was directional. Looks like I'm headed back to the garage to check.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And if your tire rotation doesn't match the casting arrow rotation you'll have to re mount the tire in correct rotation.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I took off the front wheel and changed my tire today, now when I put the wheel on, the whole thing is shifted about 1/4'' to the left if you're in front of the bike looking head on. Nothing is bent, as the wheel is closer to the left fork than the right, and the caliper bracket on the left hits the outside of the brake rotor and the bracket on the right hits the inside. I switched the spacers to the opposite sides and my wheel is in the exact same spot. I torqued the axle to spec, thinking maybe that would help, but it did not. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Shoot, I had searched on this and didn't find anything, but I just did some more searching and found this: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/24961-front-wheel-install-help.html

I bet that is what is going on, I had no idea the front wheel was directional. Looks like I'm headed back to the garage to check.

Unbolt your front forks and let everything settle in the trees. You might just have something twisted up.

Josh1466

Reaction score
Visit site
Tire rotation was incorrect. I actually thought about if the wheel was directional before I mounted the tire. Then I thought "nah, the rotors are the same, they're not directional, so with a brake on each side, shouldn't matter which way the wheel spins..." I paid for my assumptions haha. The tire and wheel rotations did not match, but I pulled the tire off and flipped it on the rim. Guess I just got extra practice mounting tires. It did go smoother the more I did it. So lessons learned:

1. Don't assume anything, even if it makes sense at the time.

2. Don't forget to loosen the pinch bolt before you try to loosen the front axle.

3. If the tire isn't going on pretty easy, don't force it, just work a smaller piece.

4. If you get impatient and do force it, black nail polish matches the color of an fz rim really well :)

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did my tires today! Michelin Pilot Road 3 sweet. The front rim got scratched up removing it with out reading all the instructions. Must be a guy thing. I will try the nail polish. :thumbup: thanks,

Josh1466

Reaction score
Visit site
Just make sure your scratches are clean and dry before you go painting them up! I tried flat black touch up paint, and that was TOO flat, and the gloss black looked too shiny to me. The black nail polish was a nice in between and I rode 125 miles today, and it held up well. Hope it works for you too!