Emergency air cooling of fz6? Please help!

rachtak

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in need of a quick response. I rode 100miles, got off Ty highway to pull into a gas station and noticed that my radiator was leaking coolant. There's no way to fix it at this current time and location.

I have 200miles left. All freeway, no traffic. Can I keep riding? Will the bike air cool itself sufficiently (70 deg and dry now) to make it?

I had not noticed the leak prior to pulling into the gas stand. I do not know when during the 100 miles it started leaking.

Where is the coolant coming from?
Radiator, hose, overflow?
Does the fan spin free and is working?

I once went about 60 miles with very little to no coolant and it had no ill effects
on the engine, this was on a 01 Kawasaki Concours.
With that being said I think if your loosing a lot of coolant 200 miles will be to much to take a chance. Its a crap shoot no matter how you look at it.

Jerry

Where are you located? Maybe another forum member get out to help you?
Remember there is a chance of loosing the motor. When there isn't sufficient coolant level you may not get proper sensor info sent to your readout and it may look okay but in fact it is not.

California, off of the highway 5 near bakersville. I'm on my way up to the Bay Area. Unless, someone can come help me replace my radiator, I don't think that there's much help that can be done for me...

The Fz is not an air cooled baby. So if your radiator is busted then you are busted.

Unless.. you get a radiator leak sealant. Sold in many gas stations. It's made to seal tiny leaks in the radiator. However I never heard such a product being used on a MC so I cannot comment on how well it will work.

Back