Codes 33 34 bike starts runs 10 seconds then stops

ecotree

Reaction score
Visit site
Hoping someone can help me out. 06 fz6 that is running not so well. Sounded good on the initial startup but quickly started to sound off seconds into idling proceeded by the check engine light coming on, and then the engine stalling. Attempted to restart the bike and it struggled to do so. Check engine light on. When I turn the key on (not starting the engine), error code 33 is displayed. Turning off and on again, error 34 is displayed. The cycle repeats if you keep turning on and off. I took it apart to check the ignition coil assembly (in reference to codes 33 & 34) and everything is within spec (primary, secondary, and spark plug cap). Reconnected everything to see if the error codes are still present which they are with the added bonus of killswitch misfunctioning and needing to be replaced/bypassed for the time being (you can hear the Starting circuit cut-off relay clicking on and off as the killswitch tries to figure out what the heck it wants to do). Engine stalling after startup is probably linked to killswitch but, to the best of my knowledge, is not related to the error codes. I also rarely use the kill switch as I know these bikes are notorious for having kill switch issues.

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated !!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Code 33 is an open circuit in the primary lead of the ignition coil for cylinders 1 & 4. Code 34 for is the same for cylinders 2 & 3. It is highly unlikely that both coils failed at the same time. I would start with the engine harness, specifically the ones that attach to the ECU. Disconnect the connectors and claen both mating surfaces with contact cleaner. Before reconnecting I would use dielectric grease to ensure that rust or corrosion doesn't reappear.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not clear on the kill switch. Have you now bypassed it? The kill switch supplies power directly to the positive lead on each coil pack as well as the positive coil winding on the starter interrupt relay. Make sure a rodent didn't chew a wire.

ecotree

Reaction score
Visit site
Cleaned all the electrical connectors and added dielectric grease as Gary suggested and runs as it did before throwing the codes. Check engine light and codes are gone. Thank you! Disassembled kill switch, cleaned and added some dielectric grease to it and it seems to be working fine now too. Adding kill-switch maintenance to my annual maintenance check-list. Thank you both :)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whether a car or motorcycle, it’s common when reviewing codes to only see the symptoms (the code) and not the cause. That causes people to throw useless parts at the problem. Luckily you threw two codes at the same time that made this one easy to figure out…but I would have given the same advice anyway. Good for you for taking the time to fix it correctly.