Clicking feeling under left foot

fz6ns2rick

Reaction score
Visit site
hi,

it was only the front sprocket that was worn in this manner, the sprocket was worn on the outer side (kerb facing not engine facing).it was a good 1/4mm deep and perfected matched the chain. the rear sprocket had the slightest wear but only to the teeth not to either side. the chain had a bad link which caused the initial clicking/tapping under my left foot. so i replaced both sprockets and the chain, i bought them together in a kit not seperately. i cleaned and lubed ,greased ,and torqued everything as per manufacturers instructions being careful to hold this to the letter. i gently rode the bike for the first 50 or so miles and then went back to normal riding (nothing harsh).

it did not bang or slip or clunk into being quiet, it just stopped. i gave the bike an oil and filter change just less than a month ago, all levels were correct at time and at subsequent checks after. it looks clean and free from debris on the change over.

it changes gear ok , the obvious clunk into first and then from first to second, but after that fine.

the only thing i find wrong now is the clutch whine which is nowhere near as bad as the whine i had from the thing before. but i would like to get rid of that too if possible.and the weird spin out of the clutch when i rev with the clutch depressed in first or second whilst coasting. dont have a clue what that is , feels like when on a push bike coasting and then you go to peddle but nothing happen for a sec and then you feel the rear sprocket catch on itself to start pushing the bike forward.

other than those two little things the bike goes really well and handles lovely.
took me a little to do the string alignment thing but i have it down now. spare bricks to hold the string and im away .:thumbup:

so other than what i have told you all i have no idea (as youve probably guessed).

but again thanks for the info and really quick responses, and if anyone does know what the whine is on the clutch or what to do about the catch up thing then please let me know , i will always listen to advice from this forum as your all well up on this.
:D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hi,

it was only the front sprocket that was worn in this manner, the sprocket was worn on the outer side (kerb facing not engine facing).it was a good 1/4mm deep and perfected matched the chain. the rear sprocket had the slightest wear but only to the teeth not to either side. the chain had a bad link which caused the initial clicking/tapping under my left foot. so i replaced both sprockets and the chain, i bought them together in a kit not separately. i cleaned and lubed ,greased ,and torqued everything as per manufacturers instructions being careful to hold this to the letter. i gently rode the bike for the first 50 or so miles and then went back to normal riding (nothing harsh).

it did not bang or slip or clunk into being quiet, it just stopped. i gave the bike an oil and filter change just less than a month ago, all levels were correct at time and at subsequent checks after. it looks clean and free from debris on the change over.

it changes gear ok , the obvious clunk into first and then from first to second, but after that fine.

the only thing i find wrong now is the clutch whine which is nowhere near as bad as the whine i had from the thing before. but i would like to get rid of that too if possible.and the weird spin out of the clutch when i rev with the clutch depressed in first or second whilst coasting. dont have a clue what that is , feels like when on a push bike coasting and then you go to peddle but nothing happen for a sec and then you feel the rear sprocket catch on itself to start pushing the bike forward.

other than those two little things the bike goes really well and handles lovely.
took me a little to do the string alignment thing but i have it down now. spare bricks to hold the string and im away .:thumbup:

so other than what i have told you all i have no idea (as youve probably guessed).

but again thanks for the info and really quick responses, and if anyone does know what the whine is on the clutch or what to do about the catch up thing then please let me know , i will always listen to advice from this forum as your all well up on this.
:D
I agree with the forum advice, everything I know about my bike has come from here. Even with a manual to read. You can't beat getting advice from someone who has physically carried out the work themselves.
I don't know why your clutch is whining? Doe's it fully engage or is the sound likely to be caused by drag. The FZ6 clutch cable takes as nearly as much maintenance as the chain.
I would be interested to find out what's causing it.
Neil

fz6ns2rick

Reaction score
Visit site
hi,

well i dont know if its drag as such , as i said itsounds like when you r clutch release bearing starts to go in a car , not sure if the same applies without studying up but it engages and disengages fine , doesnt slip on upper gears so the clutch seems ok i think. i will have a go at adjusting the clutch cable and do a bit of maintanence tonight after work and see if it makes a differnce whether the clutch bite is at the start of the travel or the end and if it changes the effect.

i have no doubt it will all come good in the end as my bike seems to right itself anyway , i will just keep feeding her fuel and lube and keeping her tarted up and im sure just like a high maintanence girl she will be happy, for a while anyway .
:noworries:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hi,

well i dont know if its drag as such , as i said itsounds like when you r clutch release bearing starts to go in a car , not sure if the same applies without studying up but it engages and disengages fine , doesnt slip on upper gears so the clutch seems ok i think. i will have a go at adjusting the clutch cable and do a bit of maintanence tonight after work and see if it makes a differnce whether the clutch bite is at the start of the travel or the end and if it changes the effect.

i have no doubt it will all come good in the end as my bike seems to right itself anyway , i will just keep feeding her fuel and lube and keeping her tarted up and im sure just like a high maintanence girl she will be happy, for a while anyway .
:noworries:

I'm pretty sure you're going to find that all Yama'rs are noisy with the clutch in. It unloads the gear train and the gears all being straight cut gears clatter as they mesh while coasting.

Basically you have six gear sets (for gear changing) and only one set is engaged pulling the load to propel the bike forward when in gear clutch out. All others are basically floating on their shafts unloaded but in contact with the gear opposing them. Because each gear set has "lash" or free play between the teeth they appear to get louder under NO load. This is pretty normal. I'm having a hard time explaining this, but having another ride your bike is not a bad option. Think of it being quieter because the lash is being removed from the equation when the clutch is out.

As Scott stated several times; these bike are very sensitive to chain tension and sound better running on the LOOSE side of the limit so find a way to get it up on a stand and check the tension the same way every time.

PS - as best I've found riding in rain/fairly dust free environments, the three different chain lubes I've on the bike go about 4 to 500 miles before cleaning and reapplying is required. 400 is preferred as I hear the chain starting to get noisy as its basically dry rollers.

PS - call me a n a l but I spin each roller by hand when cleaning to make certain I catch a fault before it becomes a problem.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a thread about adjusting (checking adjustment) of the chain on FZ's WITHOUT THE CENTERSTAND.

As I re-call, it was checked basically the same way but on the ground, same #'s, etc...

I don't recall if it was on the side stand or held upright by a buddy. On the side stand would give more of a "droop" calculation of the play... You still need to find the taughtest part of the chain.

Being its not at full droop (as if on a centerstand) I would lean towards setting the adjustment on the loose end of spec's

A search, on this forum, would shed some light, I believe it was a Non US bike...

A sizzor jack and a 2x4 under the header, and a VERY TRUSTED FRIEND could get the rear wheel off the ground to check the amount of play in the chain and take out the guesswork..

I found mine rarely needs adjustment as long as its maintained...

IMHO, just for maintainance purposes, a rear, "Pit Bull" or other brand name rear lift would be extremly handy if you don't have a centerstand.

Better yet, find a bike getting parted out and purchase the entire centerstand assembly.. Well worth the $ and lack of headaches... Your chain will like you for it as well...

Last edited:

fz6ns2rick

Reaction score
Visit site
all good advice ,

i will however just say that the noise im hearing isnt when i have the clutch in, its when the clutch is in (free wheeling) that the whine stops . like i said its like a clutch release bearing on a car , it then comes back when i let the clutch out.

im going to find a centre stand assembly and fit that cause it seems to be a good start . and then i can check if it turns the back wheel on start up , heard that that can be a symptom of things not being adjusted right . but i could be wrong , will have to find the article and read again. rode it home last night and then went out again to see what it was like on a run, did 100 mile and she is fine apart from the clutch whine, which like i said is much quieter than the other noise i had.

cheers.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
all good advice ,

i will however just say that the noise im hearing isnt when i have the clutch in, its when the clutch is in (free wheeling) that the whine stops . like i said its like a clutch release bearing on a car , it then comes back when i let the clutch out.

im going to find a centre stand assembly and fit that cause it seems to be a good start . and then i can check if it turns the back wheel on start up , heard that that can be a symptom of things not being adjusted right . but i could be wrong , will have to find the article and read again. rode it home last night and then went out again to see what it was like on a run, did 100 mile and she is fine apart from the clutch whine, which like i said is much quieter than the other noise i had.

cheers.

Its normal for the rear wheel to turn in neutral some due to drag in the gear box. Seeing it turn slightly with the engine running doesn't mean anything, good or bad.. I'd be surprised if it didn't turn slightly.

As an FYI, with the clutch lever released, ALL the transmission shafts are turning together (except when in neutral).

The outer clutch basket gear is spun directly off the crankshaft spins ALL the time (and the transmission shaft its bolted to) while the the engine is running.

The inner clutch basket is connected to the second, output sprocket shaft, and spins all the time as well, again, UNLESS in Neutral or the clutch pulled in (the clutch disconnects the two shafts per say) When in neutral, both shafts are NOT meshing.

When you pull in the clutch, your basically disconnecting both shafts from each other so you can safely shift into gear (without slamming gears together).

As stated previously, the clutch, when PULLED in, disconnects the link between both shafts. That's why a sticky clutch, one not releasing fully, misadjusted, etc, will causing clunky shifts...

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
PS - call me a n a l but I spin each roller by hand when cleaning to make certain I catch a fault before it becomes a problem.
Anal :D(sorry was thinking aloud lol) sometimes it's attention to detail that makes all the difference.
Neil:thumbup:

fz6ns2rick

Reaction score
Visit site
update ........

i have been in heaven for the last month. i made a pact with my bike that i would treat her right and sort all her little issues out.
i am pleased to tell all who tried to help me with my little issues that i have no noises or imperfections with her anymore.
i totally stripped down the rear end and i went through cleaning it all , getting to know her and then took care to put her back together with love, i followed all advice and all text i could find. i tightened , greased, and lubed her and then i gave her new presents of new tyres and alignment, i sorted all the brakes and cleaned them through.

she purrs and rides like she has to get somewhere even if i aint trying. she is full of fun and ready to run and i love her dear my friends.

so thanks for the advice , priceless as usual. i will endevour to treat her like my life depends on it.

:thumbup: