Brakes, brakes, brakes...

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
One of members asked me via PM about upgrading master cylinder on FZ6. I've decided to post in public so other could chime in and "re-validate" my approach.

Disclaimer: I haven't put yet radial MC on my FZ6. I'm quite happy with stock MC performance, but I've did that on two other bikes ER6N (GSXR750 MC) and SV650S (R1 MC) so there might be some issues on FZ6 I haven't found yet.

When it comes to brake performance on my bikes, my routine is all the same:
1) Stainless steel brake lines
2) Quality brake fluid
3) Brake pads
4) Master cylinder

1) Stainless steel lines will help transfer pressure created in MC to pistons. If you have old, rubber lines they may develop tendency to expand before starting transfer pressure to caliper.

2) After installing SS lines, you have to put new fluid anyway :) Use some quality fluid (I'm using motul racing fluid) and put attention to bleed all the air out. I usually struggle a little to get firm lever. My first SS lines installation took 3 or 4 bleedings (because of bad technique) to get all the air out. Having bleeder screw at MC helps a lot.

I usually start with reverse bleeding - I'm opening a bleeder and pushing fluid up to master cylinder with syringe. This technique is quite controversial as if you put too much pressure, you might blow MC seals. After initial bleeding I'm doing regular bleeding.

3) Brake pads. For me brake performance is one of most important aspects of motorcycle safety. I don't think in terms of soft pads, hard pads or what rotor wear will be. I realize some pads might be harder on rotors than other, but I'm accepting this as part of cost related to this sport.

That said I'm using HH pads. However I'm not fan of EBC. Those always gave me strange, wooden (not grabby) feel, lacking initial bite. I like to think that initial bite it’s helping me to not do full hand grab in emergency situation. Just tap a lever and you can feel bike is already slowing down, then just progressively add more pressure to the spot you want. For me initial bite of pads is removing some sort of panic when you’re touching the brakes and bike doesn’t stop. Then usually people have tendency to grab it more and that could lead to locking front. (I know, I’m weirdo seeing and believing stuff...)

My personal choice for time being are DP Brakes - SDP SPORT HH+. It settle in on rotors after couple brakings, provide good performance both cold and hot. I found them usable in variety of conditions: track, street (dry&wet). Set costs me something like $60-70 but I'm getting this at friendly shop and I haven't looked elsewhere so maybe you can get them cheaper.

I haven't tried Vesrah, but those are highly recommended by people I trust.

4) So Time to talk about master cylinder. If all above haven't gave you performance you're looking for, you might want to try different M/C.

You can use almost any MC available on the market if you wish. Most important thing to remember is to use master cylinders designed to push same or more fluid. Ie. If you have 4 pistons per caliper, don't use master cylinder that came off bike with 1 piston per caliper.

Now coming back to FZ6 upgrade. As FZ6 master cylinder is pretty decent, you're most likely benefit from upgrade to radial type with larger bore piston. This will result in less force on hand to achieve higher brake pressure. However, often trade off will be little more lever travel.

You might consider getting brembo :) or used 2006+ R1 as those are quite popular, have good design (it's pretty much brembo) and quite cheap. Be really careful with GSXR M/C as those are subject to recall.

On technical side you will have to take care of is position of output port. On FZ6 master cylinder it's on the left side, while most radials (including mentioned R1) have one on the bottom. If you have enough slack in lines you can just rotate lines and mount them in 90 degree angle, but that might lead to problems with bleeding. Air might have tendency to get trapped there. Best solution is to order custom lines. On my wifes SV650 we had to mount lines up-side-down to get better angles at banjo bolts and it worked but in the end I've ordered custom lines and those are much nicer.

One thing you will have to take care on FZ6 is mounting brake fluid reservoir. I've heard about bracket called "ladybird". Looks interesting but I haven't tried it and most likely it wont work on R1's MC as it's bolts are "diving" into holes in handlebar bracket. Maybe custom spacer and bolt could help. You can also check woodcraft's universal mount bracket. But I haven't tried any of those on FZ6.

That's all I had to share about upgrading brakes on FZ6 (or actually any bike) including MC. I will probably change my FZ6 MC soon so I will update you with more details.

If you are still reading this - congratulations :) You're in minority of people who get through all of that :)

I hope some will find this useful while others will share their approache and experience.

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Comprehensive evaluation here. IMO the best investment you can do for safety and peace of mind.

With that said - the only improvements I have made on my bike are pretty tame.

-I went with Pashnit lines and DOT 4 Fluid.

Ebc organic pads work really well and I like that they won't wear the rotors.
fine for the kind riding I do... pretty conservative. I am easy on the brakes whenever possible and do very few panic brakes. On top of that I like the feel of these pads better than the stockers - better initial bite

Master cylinder? the stocker is working just fine. needs paint :rolleyes:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Specific to the MC swap, what are you gaining here?
My concern is this; the bore size, stroke, distance from pivot are all critical to pressure at calipers vs pull force at lever.
I don't oppose swaps but it seems some of the donor bikes likely have more volume at the calipers which may be offset by either longer stroke MC or larger bore MC.
I guess I'm just trying to see what the actual gain is and because it is the main brake on the bike is there any calculations being done to verify one MC being an improvement over another. Could you supply some input on the real world benefit? Tks

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Specific to the MC swap, what are you gaining here?
My concern is this; the bore size, stroke, distance from pivot are all critical to pressure at calipers vs pull force at lever.
[...]
Could you supply some input on the real world benefit? Tks

Generally you've nailed all. It's all about bore, stroke and distance.

Main gain from swapping MC for radial (usually larger bore) is more braking pressure with less effort on lever. You don't have to pull so hard to obtain same braking (in compare to small bore MC).

For me main difference is feel. It feels more progressively and more in control. It feels I have a much more braking power than I have traction. On stock SV650S and ER6N that wasn't a case. You could feel you could stop better but you just couldn't squeeze lever so much.

Sometimes it might be ergonomics/comfort. In example my wife have small hands. Changing to big bore MC allows her to brake harder than she could with stock (small bore) MC as lever moves easier.

One of the formulas I've seen one basing calculating ratio between MC piston area vs caliper pistons area. Here is article I've seen it at. It will better describe technicalities than I can probably: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/Nov2012Tech.pdf

Does it make any sense ? :)