Bike retrieval video

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this video which shows a method of bringing a bike up a stairways.

This method is also used when a bike needs retrieval (froma crash, down a hill, etc). I thought it was pretty slick..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhpI6sG12Q&feature=player_embedded]Z-drag, pulling a motorcycle to the second floor at RideWest BMW - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bike retieval vedeo

pretty cool.... nothing new, just using pulleys like they were meant to be used, but it was a good demonstration.

that guy thought he was a comedian.

That's pretty awesome. I may do that to get my 500# gun safe into the house. The hard part is finding an anchor point.

pretty cool.... nothing new, just using pulleys like they were meant to be used, but it was a good demonstration.

that guy thought he was a comedian.

The use of the prussic knots was great. I never would have thought to do that.

Thats very good, two questions though?
What's a Honda doing at a BMW dealer?
Can some one give me the names of the pulleys? I couldn't quite get it from the audio. I have needed that system about 5-6 times in my riding career.

Cheers
Nelly

Can some one give me the names of the pulleys? I couldn't quite get it from the audio. I have needed that system about 5-6 times in my riding career.

Cheers
Nelly

I thought he said "split pulleys".

The Honda is probably a tow bike for broken BMW's :)

Heck, a 2x4 across the door jamb would have worked if they didn't have a staircase.

Cheers
Nelly

I believe he said a split pulley. Basically, it has 2 outer plates so that you can put the pulley anywhere on the line without having to thread it through.

I thought he said "split pulleys".

The Honda is probably a tow bike for broken BMW's :)

Heck, a 2x4 across the door jamb would have worked if they didn't have a staircase.
Cheers mate,
I was thinking about using a good old bit of wood as an anchor.
Those Honda's are great recovery vehicles.

Nelly

Couldn't see close enough but something in that setup had a ratchet lock didn't it? So he could let go and have no load on the pulling rope?

only used a single block for hauling busted Chevi's and Jeeps from the woods, never a 3:1. . . hopefully I never have too!

Couldn't see close enough but something in that setup had a ratchet lock didn't it? So he could let go and have no load on the pulling rope?

only used a single block for hauling busted Chevi's and Jeeps from the woods, never a 3:1. . . hopefully I never have too!

Nope, he made 2 slidding knots, one at each end that worked as a safety. Watch it agian, he messed up tieing them initially (I couldn't do it)... If the pulling end is released, the rope/knot/safety, stops it, very slick...

I've seen that 3:1 done with a light duty winch and a 1-ton truck that was buried in a mud pit. They nearly pulled down a 12" diameter tree on themselves doing it, but they got it out easily after lowering the anchor point.

In the Fire/Rescue world that is called a "Z-rig". If you have the resources you can easily duplicate that system over and over giving you a higher mechanical advantage(4:1,5:1 etc...) One note is that you need to have a "Prusik Minding Pulley" as a normal pulley will let a prusik pass through with the rope.

Back