Another new member from NJ

njdevils1990

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, just a little bit about myself. My names Mike, I live in Hunterdon County, NJ. I have been riding motorcycles since 2010 and bought my first bike (a 2003 Buell XB9R) in March of 2011. Shortly after, around May 20th, I managed to wreck going over a hill around 60~ MPH and high sided, I didnt have proper gear, tho I did have a helmet, gloves and several layers on my torso. Walked away with some bad road rash on my right shoulder and minor rash on my outer wrists and knees. I ended up selling the bike in July. In June however, I found a second bike, a 2009 Buell 1125CR. Picked it up with only 4k on the odo and rode the hell out of it until this past October. I ended up selling it with 22,7xx miles. I miss riding it and it was an amazing bike, despite the electrical issues. Rode to Florida and back in 10 days, did about 3,600 miles and rode from Daytona to home in one day, it was horrible. So since spring is closing in, I am getting bike fever and will be looking at a new to me bike. I just would like to get some more info on the FZ6, are there any common issues? How do they handle long distance riding (1000 in a day?) Are they reliable? I want to be able to get more than 20k out of my next bike. My price range is from $3,000-$4,500. Can I get a good FZ6 for that? I appreciate your help and can't wait to get a new bike, hopefully soon!

Welcome to the forum!!

i have had my fz6 since 05 and there is about 22k miles on it now. the only problems i have had have been 1 battery change since owning it!! I regularly do 300-400 mile days when i am off camping with the bike. It'll be able to take what you can throw at it!! All i can say is that mine has been out of this world reliability!!! For your price range, you can get one of the s2 versions of the bike (2006 or 07 - now). Little better brake calipers and a little better throttle map. otherwise its mostly the same great bike.

good luck!!

Hi everyone, just a little bit about myself. My names Mike, I live in Hunterdon County, NJ. I have been riding motorcycles since 2010 and bought my first bike (a 2003 Buell XB9R) in March of 2011. Shortly after, around May 20th, I managed to wreck going over a hill around 60~ MPH and high sided, I didnt have proper gear, tho I did have a helmet, gloves and several layers on my torso. Walked away with some bad road rash on my right shoulder and minor rash on my outer wrists and knees. I ended up selling the bike in July. In June however, I found a second bike, a 2009 Buell 1125CR. Picked it up with only 4k on the odo and rode the hell out of it until this past October. I ended up selling it with 22,7xx miles. I miss riding it and it was an amazing bike, despite the electrical issues. Rode to Florida and back in 10 days, did about 3,600 miles and rode from Daytona to home in one day, it was horrible. So since spring is closing in, I am getting bike fever and will be looking at a new to me bike. I just would like to get some more info on the FZ6,

Welcome and this is a great bike to be looking at! Let me answer some of your questions. I've had my 2006 FZ6 since the beginning of 2007! Loved it then and still love it!

are there any common issues? The 2004-2005 models had a TPS problem that was involved in a recall. Steering head bearings can go bad on some of them especially if the bike was stored outdoors in high humidity year round. Mine have never gone bad. otherwise these are rock solid bikes with very few complaints

How do they handle long distance riding (1000 in a day?) The most I've done was 600 miles in a day and that was rough but I'm also in my mid 30's. If you are younger I'm sure you can do it. It's a lot more comfortable than a Buell for long distance due to the nice upright position. If you want to do serious distance on the FZ6 get yourself a nice comfy aftermarket seat! Also frame sliders are nice because you can rest your feet or legs on them to stretch out on long highway stints.

Are they reliable? See above. I have 20,000 miles on mine. Never had a single issue, original chain and sprockets, no running problems ever.

I want to be able to get more than 20k out of my next bike. A few FZ6 owners have 100K+ on theirs with very few major services if any. 50,000 miles is doable with just routine maintenance before even doing a valve adjustment.

My price range is from $3,000-$4,500. Plenty of 2006-2009 FZ6's are in that price range with 10K miles or so. I would recommend 2007-2009 models because they have slightly better fuel management and are a bit smoother on/off throttle but a lot of people prefer the older bikes fairings, myself included.

Can I get a good FZ6 for that? Yup! This is the time to buy one! The DC area has lots of them!

I appreciate your help and can't wait to get a new bike, hopefully soon!

Thank you for the info FIZZER6, I'll do a little more research and then it's just down to saving up some more cash. I'm about half way to my budget, I'm hoping to make a purchase mid summer to mid fall.

Back