Header
Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Home Gallery Forum Classified Ads Chat Links Reviews Memberships Games Site Info Shop

Go Back   Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum > New Riders > Wannabes

Wannabes If you are thinking about learning to ride and need advice on training or schools, this is the best place to start!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Shinn

Bike: 2007 FZ6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shinn is just really niceShinn is just really niceShinn is just really niceShinn is just really niceShinn is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beginner Bike for Small Girl

Hi ladies and gents. My fiance has just passed her motorcycle training course, and she had the chance to ride many bikes but all small. She hates cruiser style (god I love her) but she is really tiny. About 5'2 and weighs 110 soaking wet in full gear. The ninja 250 was a little tall but not too bad, though she didn't feel fully comfortable on it. What does the forum suggest would be a good beginner bike? Keep in mind in Canada we have a VERY limited selection. She also wants something that can do 110km/hr comfortably. Thanks everyone!
2007 Blue FZ6 - Black Rizoma Handlebar, blue sportline grips and black bar ends, HEL Translucent Blue Front and Rear SS Lines, EBC HH front and rear pads, 1.0kg/mm Race Tech Front Fork Spring, Ricor Intiminators, BT021 Tires
Shinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinn For This Useful Post:
tomari (05-04-2010)
Old 04-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
sxty8goats

Bike: 2006 FZ6
sxty8goats has a reputation beyond reputesxty8goats has a reputation beyond reputesxty8goats has a reputation beyond reputesxty8goats has a reputation beyond reputesxty8goats has a reputation beyond reputesxty8goats has a reputation beyond reputesxty8goats has a reputation beyond reputesxty8goats has a reputation beyond reputesxty8goats has a reputation beyond reputesxty8goats has a reputation beyond reputesxty8goats has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner Bike for Small Girl

There are a bunch of newer low cc bikes around now. I was surprised by the variety.

But the Ninja 250 would be my first sugestion. Do they have lower seats? I know Buell used to offer two seats for their intro bike, the Blast. Gone now. The Ninja 500R is another good choice for a smart rider. But Kwaker may have a low seat option for shorter riders on the Ninja and that may help her fit.

There is a Korean brand Hosung I think, that has a 'sport' bike in the 150cc range.

Suziki has a 250 that look like a 1970s Standard. I don't know if that is up her ally but I love it. But my first bike was a 1980 CB750. It does have a drum rear break, not a positive.

If that is up her ally, think about a used bike. Some of the older Honda CB400's have serious 'classic' cool appeal and can be found pretty cheep if you look around. A 20 or 30 year old bike can often be found fairly cheep in good condition with 10K miles or so.

Previous Bikes:1980 CB750 Honda, SV650s Suzi, 1993 VT1100 Shadow Honda

In love with my UJM
sxty8goats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
FrankieOC82

Bike: 2005 FZ6
FrankieOC82 has a spectacular aura aboutFrankieOC82 has a spectacular aura about

Hey,
If she was only uncomfortable on the ninja because of the height but liked everything else, I know that there are a lot of lowering link kits, or dog bones, on the market that seem fairly straightforward to install. Here's just one of the many links for example:

Kawasaki Lowering Links

looks like depending on the year, you could lower an older year model up to 2 inches and a newer one as much as 4.5"! (Some other kits available for the 500r also). Dunno how that drastic a drop like that would affect handling, but it's apparently possible! just install a radio on it and constantly play "Low Rider" and it should magically be ok!

Good luck to you and your girl! always great to hear of another new member of the two-wheeled club!
FrankieOC82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankieOC82 For This Useful Post:
Motogiro (04-01-2010), tomari (05-04-2010)
Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Stumbles06

Bike: 2004 FZ6S
Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,191 Posts
Stumbles06 has a reputation beyond reputeStumbles06 has a reputation beyond reputeStumbles06 has a reputation beyond reputeStumbles06 has a reputation beyond reputeStumbles06 has a reputation beyond reputeStumbles06 has a reputation beyond reputeStumbles06 has a reputation beyond reputeStumbles06 has a reputation beyond reputeStumbles06 has a reputation beyond reputeStumbles06 has a reputation beyond reputeStumbles06 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Stumbles06 Send a message via Yahoo to Stumbles06

Another vote for the 250 Ninja. Would have to be one of the best "learner" bikes on the market.
As mentioned, the Hyosungs are not a bad bike these days, they're much better than the korean stuff from a few years ago.

User ID# - 1886
Stumbles06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
nimzotech
1st Photo Contest Winner

Bike: Blue '07 FZ6
nimzotech is a glorious beacon of lightnimzotech is a glorious beacon of lightnimzotech is a glorious beacon of lightnimzotech is a glorious beacon of lightnimzotech is a glorious beacon of lightnimzotech is a glorious beacon of light

I agree Ninja 250 is a good starter bike. The Suzuki GS500F might be an option as well. Let her sit on both and decide what feels best.

When you seek it your eye cannot see it and your hand cannot reach it; when you no longer seek it, it will always be with you.
-Old Zen Proverb

My Mods

Fazer PhotoSynthesized
nimzotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
nextfriday

Bike: 2008 FZ6 Cobalt Blue
nextfriday is on a distinguished road

+2 on the ninja 250. They are right on with the new style too. I believe they do make a lowering kit for it.
nextfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
FrankieOC82

Bike: 2005 FZ6
FrankieOC82 has a spectacular aura aboutFrankieOC82 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextfriday View Post
+2 on the ninja 250. They are right on with the new style too. I believe they do make a lowering kit for it.
Yeah, the new body is sooooo much better than the 20 year old body style they had before! there's a bunch of lowering kits out there.
Here's another tip, also. I would suggest getting one of the adjustable kits, as they have three or so different height settings and you can choose which one suits her better through trial and error.

On a side note, I've seen a couple of Hyosung 250R's around also. they look pretty hot! Good call
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyosung-gt250rb-small.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	26383   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008ninja250blue.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	26384  
FrankieOC82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
discgolfdude

Bike: 2006 FZ6, shift red
discgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant future

Kymco 2010 Quannon 150 Motorcycles

Kawasaki 2010 Ninja® 250R Motorcycles

Mods:
BD43's Dual Headlight
Rox Speed FX 2" pivoting bar risers
center stand from fzme as a pay-it-forward
HVMP bar ends
GIVI Touring Screen
Oxford Heated Grips
FZ1 handle bar
Barkbuster hand guards
killernoodle's Clutch Slave Lever

soon to be added
Rizoma Zero 11 Turn Signals
HID headlight
discgolfdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
dean owens
Hippopotomonstrosesquiped

Bike: Blue '06 FZ6
dean owens has a brilliant futuredean owens has a brilliant futuredean owens has a brilliant futuredean owens has a brilliant futuredean owens has a brilliant futuredean owens has a brilliant futuredean owens has a brilliant futuredean owens has a brilliant futuredean owens has a brilliant futuredean owens has a brilliant futuredean owens has a brilliant future

i don't have a bike suggestion... but another forum i hang out on has a ladies lounge and one of the ladies posted up something for short riders. might be something your gf would want to check out.

SBL FAQ
Mods: Lowered ~ an inch, SW-MOTECH Engine Guard, MFW Master Grip Highway Pegs, 1 Up/1 Back Risers, Grip Puppies, Powermadd Handguards, Crampbuster, Yamaha Touring Windshield (for colder months), Givi FZ351 Top Rack and T351 Soft Saddlebag Holders, Givi E52 Top Case, Top Saddlery Seat, Amber Pod Lights (wired as running lights & turn signals), Bi-Xenon HID Angel Eye Projectors

Wish List: Acumen Voltmeter/Gear Indicator

dean owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Kazza
Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar

Bike: 08 FZ6N Competition White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 9,355 Times in 4,682 Posts
Kazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

My pick - Honda CBF250 (don't know what your equivalent is) - it's what I learnt on.

Naked, so IF it was ever dropped, no damage.

Very light, easy to ride and did the top speed limit here - 110km's - with no problems.

Ninja 250 - great little bike but with fairings - costly if dropped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	347.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	26385  

Scorpion CF Cans; Ohlins rear shock; Ottimoto rear sets; Powerbronze belly pan; CF heel plates; Woodcraft sliders; Radguard; Clear indicators/tail-light; Red anodised oil cap, clutch adjuster & piston style valve caps; D3-Components FE; Yamaha dark smoke screen & Topbox; Rizoma black bars, red rear fluid reservoir, & bar ends; Pazzo std levers; Oxford heated grips; 15T sprocket; 12V power outlet; Healtech gear indicator & speedo healer; PCIII

#58 RIP Sic
Kazza is offline   Reply With Quote