Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    raj_27 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: PR4s after 20400 km

Quote Originally Posted by ozgurakman View Post
    I can't say anything certain before I see for rear tyre's condition. But in general, 20k kms are pretty enough for a tyre's age. Even it isn't wore, it gets hard as time and warm/cold cycle counts.

I didn't used any pilod road before but I can say my 2.5 years old rosso II's were extremely fine until last 6 months, now they are a bit harder than before and they perform as a normal tire. And odometer shows ~15.000 kms for the tyres.
    Looks like PR4 is good pick. My rear has still got few Ks left.

raj_27 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Paragon View Post
    Ive NEVER seen anyone wear out a front faster than a rear tire..

I always wear out rear tires faster. I don't accelerate excessively hard or anything, but its the drive tire.. its simply going to wear our faster (in most cases)
    a lot of people go through 2 rear tires to their one front (or more depending on the amount of hooligan-ism going on)
    @The_Paragon were you useing PR4s?

Quote Originally Posted by payneib View Post
    This. I've always done two rears for each front. There's absolutely no way anyone is putting more force through the front than the rear, long enough to wear it out faster. There's a reason the rears are bigger.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    @payneib Did you do two rears for each front with PR4? I can tell you I have worn my front tyre faster than rear. I have even put photos with measurements too.

Question is, is it a symptom for defect in something or normal for these tires and bikes.

100K Mile Member PR4s after 20400 km VEGASRIDER's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Paragon View Post
    Ive NEVER seen anyone wear out a front faster than a rear tire..

I always wear out rear tires faster. I don't accelerate excessively hard or anything, but its the drive tire.. its simply going to wear our faster (in most cases)
    a lot of people go through 2 rear tires to their one front (or more depending on the amount of hooligan-ism going on)

Sandy, The cupping like that is pretty much normal. From my experience, it just the way of the world.
    I've been running Michelin's for almost 100,000 miles, ever since I replaced the stock tires. And I have always wore out my fronts before my rear. Wasn't 2:1, but closer to 1:5: 1. I guess it really depends on your riding style, but none of my Michelin's were the Pilot Roads. I've also gotten almost 17,000 miles on my tires too. I have never experienced cupping on my tires. Well see if this ratio holds true on my Ducati.
    VEGASRIDER...................Member # 35
    2006 Team Yamaha Blue FZ6, 2014 Ducati Multistrada ST

Link to 50,000 Miles Club

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-g...000+miles+club

Helmet: Shoei GT-Air & Qwest,
    Pants: Motoport Airmesh Kevlar
    Gloves: Motoport Race Gauntlet & Winter Gloves, First Gear Heated Gloves
    Jacket: A bunch
    Boots: Daytona Roadstar GTX, BMW Sports Dry Boots

4. Thanks raj_27 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    Cupping on the front is a product of limited damping control (compression & rebound) as well not really shoving it into the corners.

Increased loading and slip can true them up (knocks off the highs) where slow wear over time can lead to feathering/scallops...
    I was hoping someone would say something like this. My commute is 30 km of virtually flat, straight road. In South Africa we ride on the left hand side of the road, so my exit off the highway is a 180 degree left- hander which leads into another double apex to the left. These are the only corners where I can push the bike.
    The only problem with this theory is that the cupping on the right of the tyre is deeper than the wear on the left.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raj_27 View Post

@payneib Did you do two rears for each front with PR4? I can tell you I have worn my front tyre faster than rear. I have even put photos with measurements too.
    Not quite 2:1 with the PR4s, but near enough.
    TownsendsFJR1300: Agreed 100% ^^^^^.

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Cupping on the front is a product of limited damping control (compression & rebound) as well not really shoving it into the corners.

Increased loading and slip can true them up (knocks off the highs) where slow wear over time can lead to feathering/scallops...

Quote Originally Posted by SandyN View Post
    I was hoping someone would say something like this. My commute is 30 km of virtually flat, straight road. In South Africa we ride on the left hand side of the road, so my exit off the highway is a 180 degree left- hander which leads into another double apex to the left. These are the only corners where I can push the bike.
    The only problem with this theory is that the cupping on the right of the tyre is deeper than the wear on the left.

Did you measure tread depth on both sides using the wear bars on the side?

Id guess it would be hard to tell unless, one side through the bars and the other has depth.

Don't you have to go home too?
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

Thats right, Paragon! The_Paragon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=raj_27;623330]@The_Paragon were you useing PR4s?

No I was using PR3's. I wore out the rear in about 12,000mi. I'm approaching about 16,000 on the front. and theres still plenty of tread.

Thats right, Paragon! The_Paragon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASRIDER View Post
    I've been running Michelin's for almost 100,000 miles, ever since I replaced the stock tires. And I have always wore out my fronts before my rear. Wasn't 2:1, but closer to 1:5: 1. I guess it really depends on your riding style, but none of my Michelin's were the Pilot Roads. I've also gotten almost 17,000 miles on my tires too. I have never experienced cupping on my tires. Well see if this ratio holds true on my Ducati.
    What? Really?
    I guess it really comes down to riding style and road conditions. ALOT of my riding is straight and flat. so the front tire doesn't really take too much stress. I also don't brake hard either, during my daily commute (whenever summer comes around) Is about 80mi of straight, flat highway, and when it somes to slowing down through towns I just let off, no braking needed.
    Yepp I ride like a 28 year old Grandpa!!

My PR3's rear lasted about 12k mi and my front is still on the road at about 16k.
    When I ran Dunlop (melt on the road) Q2's I'd go through 2+ rear tires to one front.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you measure tread depth on both sides using the wear bars on the side?

Id guess it would be hard to tell unless, one side through the bars and the other has depth.

Don't you have to go home too?
    Going back onto the highway from the other side involves another left usually taken under hard acceleration to get up to highway speed.

The tread depth is less on the right hand side of the right side groove than on the left of that groove, whereas the wear on the left hand grooves are equal.

Last edited by SandyN; 03-25-2016 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My PR4 isn't old enough to really show anything on the front, but the Contis I had before used to have a flat angle along the shoulder (imagine the tread and sidewall at 90 degrees to each other, then take a belt sander to the joint between them at 45 degrees, if you get my picture) on the right hand side. That's UK, riding on the left. I think it's the roundabouts (clockwise) that do it. On the Contis it lead to me changing the fronts with another 1000-2000 miles worth of tread depth on them.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    TownsendsFJR1300: Agreed 100% ^^^^^.

12. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast