Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    colinl (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heads-up display for helmets

I'm an electrical engineering grad, and I'm a relatively new rider (been riding about three years). In my spare time, I put together a heads-up display for my own personal use. By chance, I took the helmet with me to a motorcycle show last month, and a few people I met said I ought to think about selling it.

I only have one, so I'm not actually selling it, but I thought I'd share it with the community to get some thoughts on it.

The eyepiece displays text in your field-of-view, so you can always keep your eyes on the road. It’ll display your speed, or basic GPS navigation, or both. It looks like this from the inside of the helmet:

All of the pieces are adjustable and they fit inside any helmet, so you can keep wearing the helmet that you know and like.

It works during the day, at night, and in the rain. All weather, all conditions.

As you can see, there is no frontal aerodynamic impact, because all of the pieces are tucked inside the helmet:

As far as safety is concerned, the eyepiece is made out of shatterproof glass, so even in the unlikely event that it breaks, it will hold together, just like a car windshield.

The pieces are stuck inside the helmet with an incredibly strong adhesive. Once placed, the pieces are damn near impossible to remove. You can try to yank them out, hard, and they won't budge.

Altogether, it costs $132 to make.

So, what do you guys think? Do you see yourself buying one of these, if it were available?

2. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, VEGASRIDER liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Heads-up display for helmets Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Heads-up display for helmets

I am super impressed! Regardless getting through the safety protocols and orgs that dominate approvals are always a consideration. With the right team you should be successful at getting it approved.
    to this great forum! I noticed on your profile you have your bike listed as a 13 FZ6. 09 was the last year of FZ6.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

4. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very slick..

Personally, for me, it doesn't take a split second to check my speed and I like to keep things simple (KISS).

I already have an AM/FM radio attached to my helmet (with speakers) and particularly don't want more weight (little as it is), on my noggin..

I don't think you'd have a problem selling it.

I'd probably see about a patent and sell the design for BIG BUCKS...
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

6. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work. The data is limited (as it should be for a HUD), but the concept seems sound.

$132 to make...don't forget your labor. If you are able to put together good documentation for installation and use you might have a good product. To me, the holy grail would be integration with a bluetooth communication system. Sena now has a smart helmet...and their competition is in catch-up mode. Make contact with some of the BT COM companies, get an NDA in place, and sell the technology.

My $0.02
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Senior Member Heads-up display for helmets zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a nice solution. I don't know what kind of hurdles you'd have to clear to make it pretty and get it to pass safety inspections to sell commercially, but there are a lot of DIY folks in the motorcycle community that would probably be happy to buy a kit and instructions from you in the $200 range. Consider that the competition is much more comprehensive, but always mounts outside the helmet and tends to cost $700+.

One potential problem is that it might not work for people who wear eyeglasses or sunglasses under their helmet. Also make sure that your mystery adhesive isn't going to damage the foam.

Is it easily visible in daylight with a clear visor?

10. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool.

If you want to move forward with this, shoot me a PM. I founded a tech company and a friend of mine runs of a Virtual Reality company that is perusing VR for high end worksite safety helmets. Might be a good fit for you guys to cross pollinate and work together.

12. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, Motogiro liked this post
    colinl (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    I am super impressed! Regardless getting through the safety protocols and orgs that dominate approvals are always a consideration. With the right team you should be successful at getting it approved.
    to this great forum! I noticed on your profile you have your bike listed as a 13 FZ6. 09 was the last year of FZ6.
    Ahh.....caught me red-handed. I actually have a '13 Ninja 650. I was trying to fit in...

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by zixaq View Post
    That's a nice solution. I don't know what kind of hurdles you'd have to clear to make it pretty and get it to pass safety inspections to sell commercially, but there are a lot of DIY folks in the motorcycle community that would probably be happy to buy a kit and instructions from you in the $200 range. Consider that the competition is much more comprehensive, but always mounts outside the helmet and tends to cost $700+.

One potential problem is that it might not work for people who wear eyeglasses or sunglasses under their helmet. Also make sure that your mystery adhesive isn't going to damage the foam.

Is it easily visible in daylight with a clear visor?
    Selling it as a kit is a fantastic idea. I never thought of that.

Yeah, this solution probably isn't going to work if you're wearing glasses under the helmet. As far as the adhesive goes, it's the same adhesive used for GoPros.

I tried using it with a clear visor in daylight, but it's just not bright enough. I could barely, barely see it, but it was much better with the tinted visor.

14. Likes rabernar liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colinl View Post
    Ahh.....caught me red-handed. I actually have a '13 Ninja 650. I was trying to fit in...
    On a BMW R1200R forum your profile say "Current bike: none (no money)"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colinl View Post

Thanks for the kind words.

Selling it as a kit is a fantastic idea. I never thought of that.

Yeah, this solution probably isn't going to work if you're wearing glasses under the helmet. As far as the adhesive goes, it's the same adhesive used for GoPros.

I tried using it with a clear visor in daylight, but it's just not bright enough. I could barely, barely see it, but it was much better with the tinted visor.

My .02: Wrap the idea up with the help of an experienced patent attorney with the goal of legal protection that you can easily manage into the future. Establish w/lawyer the goal of licensing your idea based on the patent.

Then do what all good Engineers do: Improve - cheaper, better, easier for the user to enjoy. Keep building on your original patent to keep your upgrades valid. Invest your time in the value of your idea, feeding your licensees the benefits for $. Let them tackle the heavy lifting of manufacturing & marketing.

Opposite of the DIYconcept, but gives you the continuous income of your own idea.

Best Wishes - keep the good ideas coming!

100K Mile Member Heads-up display for helmets VEGASRIDER's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very impressed with your technical skills. Personally, just my opinion, I think HUD is a distraction for riders, but I'm old school. Riding is much different than driving. But again, it is also very important for the rider to be keeping their head and eyes up! Rather than focusing on speed, etc, have you ever considering creating a HUD GPS? For me, I think that could be more useful since all motorcycles come equipped with information that you are providing, but when it comes to GPS, it's an accessory. Unlike looking at speed which can be done in tenths of a second, looking at a GPS requires a bit more time. But again, we do have the ability to incorporate turn by turn navigation through our bluetooth.
    VEGASRIDER...................Member # 35
    2006 Team Yamaha Blue FZ6, 2014 Ducati Multistrada ST

Link to 50,000 Miles Club

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-g...000+miles+club

Helmet: Shoei GT-Air & Qwest,
    Pants: Motoport Airmesh Kevlar
    Gloves: Motoport Race Gauntlet & Winter Gloves, First Gear Heated Gloves
    Jacket: A bunch
    Boots: Daytona Roadstar GTX, BMW Sports Dry Boots

18. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast