ECU Tuning Option - No Power Commander Required

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bumped into ECUnleased today. They offer flashed to ECUs that remove/fix limitations that are factory programmed into the ECU.

Yamaha Tune Files | Performance ECU Flashing-Remapping & Tuning Company- ECUnleashed Tuning Technology

The good thing about this is a piggy back device is not required, and the changes are direct to the ECU. In addition to fuel changes, timing changes, and restrictions are removed/fixed.

The guys who do my tuning offer this service and seemed pretty pleased with it so far. The cost is $449 is a pretty good deal considering the cost of a PC3 and a dyno session.

From what I understand the flash can be loaded and the bike can be dyno tuned and further refined. Also once the flash is created it can be reload if need be with at no additional cost.

I'm sending my FZ1 ECU to AF1 Racing to have the work done. Turn around time is about a week and half with the mail.

Here's the stuff they can tune:

ECU Modifications – (Optional per customer request and application)

* Remove Factory Timing Retard
* Remove Throttle Restrictions
* Increased Idle
* Increased Rev Limit
* Remove Speed Limiters (Gear Dependent)
* Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration
* Improved Throttle Control & Reaction
* Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration (Bye bye FCE)
* Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper)
* Improved Fuel Maps
* Improved Ignition Maps
* Injector Phasing Adjustment
* Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only)
* Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations

I would think that this would fix the crappy FZ throttle for good.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I read an article on unleash and it was all positive. If you just were to fix restrictions on timing alone it would be a great gain on these motors. :rockon:
Still would want to know how it behaves with a couple of pulls...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll post up how it turns out.

I have two ECU for my FZ1, the stock US '06, and a Euro '10. The '06 is a terrible map, fuel cut is pretty bad, not as bad as the FZ6 however. The '10 is a great map, smooth, powerful, etc.

As the acid test I'm sending in my '06 ECU for the changes, then I can compare to the '10.

The FZ1 is also a neutered bike, 1st through 3rd gears are restricted, you don't get full power until 4th gear. This new map will unrestrict the bike completely. I'll need to be even more careful with it.

I don't think I'm make any more power on top as we have that pretty well dialed in for the mods I have, but I'm hoping that the throttle quality gets even better from what we have.

I'll let you guys and gals know how it turns out.

Oh they can reflash cars too. I plan on getting my car done later this summer.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've heard these reflashes really wake the bikes up. I bet you'll be really happy with it...:rockon:

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
if you go to th Home page from the link that Hellgate posted and find the tune of the month for April that is the Dyno guy that I use. we are acutaly buddys now we have gone to a couple track days togather.He has been doing a bunch of ECUnleashed tunes and he really has gotten good results.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you go to th Home page from the link that Hellgate posted and find the tune of the month for April that is the Dyno guy that I use. we are acutaly buddys now we have gone to a couple track days togather.He has been doing a bunch of ECUnleashed tunes and he really has gotten good results.

That's great to hear. Thanks!

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

LunchBox04V

That Subaru Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting note that the FZ1 has a reduced power in 1st through 3rd. Does the FZ6 have the same thing? I'm still a little green at the FZ6 ECU. If this works out well this will be a hard choice.... Bi-Xenon Morimoto's, or this ECU reflash. Lol

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting note that the FZ1 has a reduced power in 1st through 3rd. Does the FZ6 have the same thing? I'm still a little green at the FZ6 ECU. If this works out well this will be a hard choice.... Bi-Xenon Morimoto's, or this ECU reflash. Lol

What's the bi-xenon morimoto? I've not heard of that one.

What I do like about the unleashed flash is that if AF1 Racing is offering the service it must be good. Those guys are straight up and don't sell any BS. They are the most undealer, dealer I've been to.

737driver

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see they still recommend running a piggyback power commander, be interested to know if its worth the extra money for the flash over getting a dyno tune on a stand alone power commander.

Last edited:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I am interested, must subscribe, need to know more, want to know more. What about long term effects on the engine? It would be nice to find a way to keep the bike from boggin at the line from stand still without changing the sprockets.

LunchBox04V

That Subaru Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
The bi-xenon Morimoto's are the HID retrofit kits from The Retrofit Source. I have been thinking about them for a while. Lol still no answer to the real question though. Is the FZ6 detuned if the lower gears like the FZ1? Thanks again. Lol

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, two totally different services.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's an update. This is a part of an email exchange between the AF1 guys and me this morning. I'm really looking forward to the outcome. My bike is number 550 btw.

"The guys in CA and Italy are still playing with the tune file for your ECU.....apparently you have a ECU version that is a very early one and needs a different communication process. They're excited to add this ECU version to their database.

Just giving you an update....just spent 20 mnutes on the phone with them....they said it will be MUCH better than the 2010 Euro tune you have....they said those 2010 EU ign maps could be better, and will be noticeably better on this ECU reflash."

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see they still recommend running a piggyback power commander, be interested to know if its worth the extra money for the flash over getting a dyno tune on a stand alone power commander.

Here's all of the things the reflash can update. Much, much more than a Power Commander will every do.

Specifically with the FZ1 many riders have three different piggybacks; fuel, ignition, and fuel cut. But none of those mods address gears 1 to 3 begin goverened, this fixes all of those areas. A PC will fine tune the fuel delivery that much more.

ECU Modifications – (Optional per customer request and application)

* Remove Factory Timing Retard
* Remove Throttle Restrictions
* Increased Idle
* Increased Rev Limit
* Remove Speed Limiters (Gear Dependent)
* Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration
* Improved Throttle Control & Reaction
* Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration (Bye bye FCE)
* Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper)
* Improved Fuel Maps
* Improved Ignition Maps
* Injector Phasing Adjustment
* Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only)
* Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update: The ECU is in CA, they did some soldering to attach connectio ports to the ECU itself. They pulled the raw file from the ECU and sent that to the main shop in Italy. They are currently working on the new map set. Don't have an ETA as of yet. This is the very first time they worked on this generation of FZ1 ECU.

Last edited: