When to replace a tire due to age alone?

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05 purchased used in '06 with (presumably) stock Dunlops.

I knew the tires were reaching the end of their useful life, and intended to replace them with a matched pair this past summer (I was eyeing some Contis).

Apparently, the rear tire didn't have as much tread left as I thought, as it failed a NYS safety inspection at the end of '09 (surprise!), the season before I intended to replace the tires. I had the mechanic throw a Metzler Sportec M3 he had in-stock on the back so I could have my bike back, and went on my way. No research or anything, just OK'd the tire he recommended (yeah, I know) :rolleyes:.

The front looks fine; no cracks/dry rot that I can see. I know you're supposed to run the better tire in the front, not rear, but I don't really push the limits (at least not when anyone is looking) :thumbup:

However, the front could be 4-6 years old now?

When would you all replace a serviceable front tire due entirely to age? I did a search, and see that age compromises a tire's stickiness, but found no guidelines on max age.

My riding style, if it guides your responses: weekend recreational rider, no commuting any more since my office moved (so no interstates), 1-2 overnight trips a season, and riding temps down into the 50's (F) with the rare 40's when I really need a riding fix. The bike is subjected to sub-freezing temps in the off season while hibernating.

Thanks!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
best answer:
just buy new tires (front and rear).

buy some pilot road 2's. i paid $220 or so from jakewilson.com, with a coupon.
figure out how to change the tires yourself to save money.
find a guy to take your wheels to and swap the new tires in.
people tend to do this for beer.
regrease your rear shock bolt and swingarm bearings while your rear wheel is off.
then you're all set for some railing when it gets warmer.
snow.gif

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Typically, 4-5 years is max life. You'll notice with car tires, regardless of tread warranties, the most tire manufactures will warranty as far as time is concerned, is 4 years. So, if you buy some tires, and after 4 years is up, they won't honor the warranty, even if you have all of 10 miles on them. What happens is, with age and weathering, the compound hardens, well before you see any signs of them going south, like cracking.

My used FZ6 still has the stock tires as well. The front is dumpster bait, but the rear looks decent. They feel hard as a rock, and they're now pushing 5 years. Time to replace 'em!

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
There should be a manufacturing date on the sidewall. They should be replaced when 5 years old.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There should be a manufacturing date on the sidewall. They should be replaced when 5 years old.

Correct, except it's somewhat unintuitive when it comes to deciphering it. It's a 4-digit number which looks like this: 1307 which would mean the tire was made 13th week of year 2007.
Opinions seem to vary on this subject, but I've read in several places that motorcycle tires should be replaced after 3 years :don'tknow:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

Everytime you buy a "new" tire you should look for this manufacturing date then, right? Who know how long this tire has been sitting around.

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
Correct, except it's somewhat unintuitive when it comes to deciphering it. It's a 4-digit number which looks like this: 1307 which would mean the tire was made 13th week of year 2007.
Opinions seem to vary on this subject, but I've read in several places that motorcycle tires should be replaced after 3 years :don'tknow:

Erci
Howie Mandel's evil twin
Erci Mandel's evil twin is right!!!LOL:eek:

I just got a fz6 2008 4 weeks ago
With 1600 miles and now I hear that the tires are getting old:confused:
IT's funny but I was just looking at my bike in the living room
{lol there's 6" of snow out side and that's another story}
AND saw that my tires looked like they were getting flat down the
middle really fast
so that means I better get out there and use them up quick
before they rott off the bike:thumbup:
GOOD TIRES that's one reason I got the bike.
[ME thinking to myself , really good tread no need for any thing for a while]:rockon:
SO HERE I AM at the computer glued yes glued to this site no cares in the world
and find out I need to get out and ride my tires are going bad :eek:HELP!!!
THERE"S 6" of snow out there what can I do?:eek:

I

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci
Howie Mandel's evil twin
Erci Mandel's evil twin is right!!!LOL:eek:

I just got a fz6 2008 4 weeks ago
With 1600 miles and now I hear that the tires are getting old:confused:
IT's funny but I was just looking at my bike in the living room
{lol there's 6" of snow out side and that's another story}
AND saw that my tires looked like they were getting flat down the
middle really fast
so that means I better get out there and use them up quick
before they rott off the bike:thumbup:
GOOD TIRES that's one reason I got the bike.
[ME thinking to myself , really good tread no need for any thing for a while]:rockon:
SO HERE I AM at the computer glued yes glued to this site no cares in the world
and find out I need to get out and ride my tires are going bad :eek:HELP!!!
THERE"S 6" of snow out there what can I do?:eek:

I

The answer is obvious! Lay down a tarp or some old towels and change your tires! Nothing like working on a motorcycle in a nice, comfy, warm living room after all. :D