NorCal/SoCal ride 2011

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
O.K. everyone, between the hints in other threads and the PM's I've gotten about this year's upcoming ride I thought that I'd kick off the discussion for the 2011 NorCal/SoCal ride.

I know that spring is a few months off and we're still in the dead of winter but perhaps we can start bouncing ideas off one another. There's no way we can make everyone happy but maybe with some advance planning we can make this years ride(s) be even bigger and better than last year, if that's possible. :D

Myself, Chemiker and Tailgate (and hopefully DefyInertia) plan on coming south again this year and I was thinking about maybe doing it in the late spring or early summer.

A few of you have mentioned that you'd like to come North for a ride with us which sounds great. We could certainly love to host you hooligans from SoCal for some riding up here, maybe in the Sierra's and or the Sierra Foothills later in the summer or early fall when the weather is the best.

Well there it is, the first shot fired for the 2011 get together..let the brainstorming begin!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm already contemplating rigging up the SV with bags.
Don't know any of the fun rides up there so it's all your show! :rockon:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget Sonora Pass (Wavex recommended it) in the Yosemitie area. NV state route 341 to Virginia City would be kool:
2010 Dodge Viper ACR Tackles Virginia City Hill Climb - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
From there, Lake Tahoe area could be subsequently visited via NV state route 431 over the 8,911 ft. elevation Mt. Rose summit:
Mount Rose Highway
From Tahoe, Wavex, Calirider and I did Highway 4 heading back south last summer:
http://www.scenic4.org/
Gawd, where's not to go, huh? It's like being in a candy store.

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got VEGAS' photo CD and I'm all jacked up to go on another ride. Let's do North and South!

For the North trip, do we want to do a one day trip, or a multi-day trip with camping?

For the So Cal trip, as long as it includes Montezuma HWY I'm good :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got VEGAS' photo CD and I'm all jacked up to go on another ride. Let's do North and South!

For the North trip, do we want to do a one day trip, or a multi-day trip with camping?

Goop and I will be on Monty tomorrow! :Flip: :D

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I like the idea of a multi-day trip up here in the North, however my idea of roughing it is stay at Motel 6. :D

As for the Montezuma Hwy, oh yeah, count me in for that one too. Calling Officer Peterson.......:spank:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, well you're probably not the only one. Think of how much more range a multi-day trip would give us...

I think a multi-day ride is an awesome idea Travis. It would give us a chance to ride some of those roads up here that we've (I've) never had the chance to ride. :thumbup:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex and I are planning a massive motorcycle tour through Europe this spring and that is going to eat up all of our vacation time for this year. However, I am up for a multi day ride in the south end of the state. We might be able to swing a 3-day ride up north but it would have to span one of the traditional summer holiday weekends.

As a possible suggestion we are thinking...

Day 1- Travel from SoCal to Sonora Map link

Day 2- Up over Sonora Pass, fuel, return to Sonora. Lunch in Arnold, then over Ebbetts Pass, along CA-88 and over Kingsbury Grade to Lake Tahoe for the night. Map link

Day 3- Heading home over Carson Pass, down towards Stockton. Those of us heading south will be making a straight shot down the 5. Map link

Comments, revisions, etc? Post them here and we will get this set.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey John,
That sounds like a plan to me. Do you have a particular holiday weekend in mind? The end of the summer/early fall is usually the best weather up here so maybe Labor Day weekend might be a good choice. I'm kind of screwed for the 4th of July weekend as my in-laws come every year from Missouri for a family reunion at our house. I'd rather get a root canal than be home for the 4th but what do you do? If you guys pick the right weekend I'd be willing to meet you guys around Fresno on your way up, spend the next couple of days riding with you guys on your planned route and then hanging with you on your last day 'till a little south of Stockton.
:rockon:

Last edited: