what does the inside of our gas tank look like?

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
hi im just curious as to what it looks like. i have a full tank of gas that i need to siphon as much as i can so i can remove the tank. can i just shove a hose via the gas cap to achieve this? thanks.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at the tank today in preparation for plumbing an extra line into the bottom for an aux fuel cell (I'm going to weld a bung and run a line from a fuel cell into the bottom of the tank just above the fuel pump).

It looks like the fuel line coming from the tank (from the fuel pump plate) is a quick-disconnect line. I didn't look closely enough to see if it's one of the fancy 'no leak' disconnects or not. If it isn't you could unplug the line and quickly (!) attach a hose or funnel/hose rig before it drains out over the engine. If not, you will need to siphon the tank.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, does the fuel pump keep fuel from leaving the tank when it's off? (I bet it does - I've never removed a tank on a bike with FI). If so, you'll need to siphon and then invert the tank. If you need to do anything serious (e.g., welding), you'll also want to remove the fuel pump to get everything clean and emptied out.

Last edited:

GAH

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to have a dent repaired in the tank right after I bought it (yeh, my fault). I took the tank to the body shop almost empty, but they had to take the pump out to empty it completely.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a gas siphon from an auto parts store. It's basically a hose with a hand pump in the middle. Costs $5 and takes 5 minutes to siphon out the gas. When you remove all the gas you can with the siphon, you can remove the quick connects and no gas will come out.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can remove the tank full or empty....just undo the 2 bolts at the front, the one at the rear, lift up the tank before undoing rear bolt....and disconnect fuel pump....tank comes straight off...done it a million times, no trouble.

:thumbup:

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've taken my tank off full. Just have a rag or small bowl handy. It will leak a little fuel when you disconnect the line, but it's not much.