rear tail light lens kit installation

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my smoked tail light lens in. Ordered it from ebay. I searched and could not find any how-to or instructions for installing the new lens. The only threads i've seen were the complaints of how long it actually takes to do such a small mod.

Will I have to take out my exhaust? :(:confused:

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
No. Is it just a lens?
Then remove the seat and you have access to it.

Is it a whole light:
-remove seat
-remove plastic cover left and right
then you can remove the scresw from the rear plastic:
2 screws down
2 screws side
2 screws top
and you can remove it.

BR
Robert

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
That's right, I just did this two days ago.
One more thing... The rear plastic (the part with the rear handles) has the wiring to the rear light attached. You will want to remove the plug from the left (I think) side pod area to completely remove the rear piece. That will make it way easier to get the light out. Of course you can leave it attached, but it will then be attached to the bike and make it harder to move around.
And removing the whole light is a PIA. It takes some wiggling and patience. Unplug the bulb, get it light out, replace it, plug in the bulb, reattach to chassis, plug the wire back in.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
had the lens kit sitting around in my garage for weeks now and finally had the courage to put it on...

at first you would think it's rather easy right. very few bolts, pop out the old, and put in the new. NOT THE CASE! lol. it got to the point when there were tools spread on the ground all around me. basically, if your able to easily take out your FE kit then it should be alright. otherwise, if you cant (two bros. kit) since the turn signals are all wired up nicely and you dont really feel like taking everything all apart again. so it's certainly a difficult task working around it. and unfortunately, i even chipped a lil of the corner or the rear fender trying to pry out the old lens with a screwdriver. not a good idea. i had to use a lil touch up to paint the small chipped dot. anyway, i finally managed to get it in after slighlty loosening the plastic piece underneath.

nonetheless, the bike looks so much better for me now. im lovin it and glad that it's finally on. however doing the mod itself is not for the impatient.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I feel for ya. I remember just trying to move the rear lens enough to stick in my oversized LED brake light bulb. The LED head was too big to fit through the regular bulb hole at the back, so I had to go in from the opposite way and slide it in from the lens side. All I remember thinking was "it shouldn't be this hard should it???, I mean it's just a lens for christ sakes!" I think it would have been easier removing the engine than getting that lens out!

Got any pics of the new lens??

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
it's one of those parts never meant to come out. lol.

but here it is!

IMG_8559.jpg

Gooch

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I've just bought the same part but Im having trouble installing the led plate to the inside of the tail light housing. I've removed the light with no issues but cant see how to secure the led's to the housing without putting holes in it. Am I missing any parts? Do I need to just bite the bullet & screw it directly into the housing?

Thanks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I've just bought the same part but Im having trouble installing the led plate to the inside of the tail light housing. I've removed the light with no issues but cant see how to secure the led's to the housing without putting holes in it. Am I missing any parts? Do I need to just bite the bullet & screw it directly into the housing?

Thanks.
Be careful putting any screws through the unit as there may be circuit lands you might cut which would knock out some or all of the LED's. Maybe use a good double-back tape and the a a very fine bead of silicon sealer at the edges for insurance.

Gooch

Reaction score
Visit site
The kit came from ebay, but in my research for install instructions I also found the same one at Amazon.com for slightly cheaper.

I wouldn't screw through the led plate itself, it attaches to the round silver frame (in the picture), but then in order for me to secure it, I would have to screw it into the inside of the tail light housing, which would compromise it being waterproof. Plus the frame is about 2mm too short to reach the back of the housing.

I think I will just have to do it & then seal it up with silicone, unless anyone has already dealt with it & can offer a better solution.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The kit came from ebay, but in my research for install instructions I also found the same one at Amazon.com for slightly cheaper.

I wouldn't screw through the led plate itself, it attaches to the round silver frame (in the picture), but then in order for me to secure it, I would have to screw it into the inside of the tail light housing, which would compromise it being waterproof. Plus the frame is about 2mm too short to reach the back of the housing.

I think I will just have to do it & then seal it up with silicone, unless anyone has already dealt with it & can offer a better solution.

Good call. The silicon/ Black RTV compound should be fine...
Thanks for the info on where to get it.