FZ6 Help

Rowey94

Reaction score
Visit site
This might be a really stupid question but I've never dealt with a FZ6. I am looking at buying a 2012 FZ6 that has been crashed. It has a clean title however it has been layer down on its left side and the stator cover has been cracked. Because the cover has been cracked it was impossible for me to start the bike. However the engine was able to turn over when we used a socket set on it to turn it over. However I don't know how to tell if the transmission is good or not. I have been searching around looking too see if I can just replace the transmission or if I have to replace the whole engine I have been unable to come up with an answer. Is there a way that I can test to see if the bikes transmission is good or how much does a new transmission cost? The bike also has had the chain cut as it was jammed in the sprocket which has been cut also. Any advice would be helpful. The rest of the bike looks alright and it seems to be a good price I just don't know how hard or how expensive a transmission costs. Any help would be appreciated.

Rowey94

Reaction score
Visit site
Whoops my Bad, the guy told me that it was a FZ6 but I guess not. Is there any way that you know of testing a bikes transmission? And thanks ill move the question over

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoops my Bad, the guy told me that it was a FZ6 but I guess not. Is there any way that you know of testing a bikes transmission? And thanks ill move the question over

That's a question for a competent mechanic. I'm a dangerous one :D

I'd think you'd need to either run the bike or open it up.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

Only rotate your engine in it's forward rotation. You can tell it's rotation is correct by putting the transmission in 1st and the front sprocket will turn in the direction that will turn the rear wheel forward.
Since you have no chain attached just make sure the front sprocket is visible. (cover off)
Since you don't have a way to ride the bike right now switching gears and rotating the engine will show if the front sprocket is active or not but will not give a good picture of how the drive train performs under power. You will have to invest time and labor as you probably have concluded you would have to do in the first place by purchasing the bike in the condition it is.

Good luck! :)

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe I saw that same bike on Craigslist and to me it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the bike and maybe by looking at the pictures someone with more knowledge than me on motorcycle repair can chime in.

2012 yamaha fz6 ... 7000 miles wrecked

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe I saw that same bike on Craigslist and to me it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the bike and maybe by looking at the pictures someone with more knowledge than me on motorcycle repair can chime in.

2012 yamaha fz6 ... 7000 miles wrecked

That's a good bet. Run away!

'I'm selling a 2012 Yamaha fz6. I bought it to try and fix it and realized it's a little above my ability so my loss is your gain. It still has a green Michigan title and only has 7000 miles. I've attached pics of the damage. I paid 3000 for it to be my beginner bike but I'm going to assume that was a dumb move so im hoping to get 2000 but make an offer. '