Few pics of the CUP bike - Wakefield Park Track Day

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the cup bike out on track last Saturday. Spent most of the day tuning the ohlins rear shock. Luckily I had a few mates their helping me with that. After a lot of slipping and sliding around we finally got the rear dialled in to a point that I'm comfortable with. Cant wait to get back out on track. Here are some pics from the day.

juLWjK2.jpg

Z8J3Raw.jpg

eNlAS0Z.jpg

0cHFznH.png

En4GHO7.png

HHRFrr8.jpg

Last edited:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
You're having way too much fun there! ;)

Nice looking bike man, I recall when you were getting those wheels done - interesting bottom fairing, who is that from?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Question -
I could be way off base here but I have to ask just how stable she is at speed?

In another thread with the gear indicator there was this picture with the stanchion tube maybe 10 to 12 mm out of the clamp. http://i.imgur.com/mkUkJPN.jpg?2

In the pictures above (this thread), you're pretty much running out of lean angle do to nose rake and it appears the stanchion is 28 to 30 mm out of the clamp.

From this, it **appears** you could get into trouble by either bottoming out the bike itself or the fork into the lower triple. As asked above, how stable is she at 1XX speeds? It just looks like it has allot of rake in the nose which in my playing tends to make the FZ pretty squirrelly.

I believe you said the front has emulators in it; do you recall the spring rate?
Lastly - from dirt bikes to street bikes, I've found that setting the shocks/forks compression setting to minimal (just make it safe so it has some comp damping) and then work at dialing in the rebound damping allows you to really focus on the effects of rebound.

You might take a look at this; its long but thorough and may offer some insight in getting the suspension set for your style! Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

Thanks for for sharing and Good Luck! Bike and rider look Great!

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
You're having way too much fun there! ;)

Nice looking bike man, I recall when you were getting those wheels done - interesting bottom fairing, who is that from?

The bottom fairing is from a BMW S1000RR, I had some left over fairings from my old street bike. Everybody replaces these lower panels with carbon fibre belly pans so they arn't worth much to sell second hand. Turns out they make for a great looking fz6 belly pan.

Question -
I could be way off base here but I have to ask just how stable she is at speed?

Very Stable

In another thread with the gear indicator there was this picture with the stanchion tube maybe 10 to 12 mm out of the clamp. http://i.imgur.com/mkUkJPN.jpg?2

Correct - The stanchion tube still sits at this height.

In the pictures above (this thread), you're pretty much running out of lean angle do to nose rake and it appears the stanchion is 28 to 30 mm out of the clamp.

I think the photo is playing tricks - the stanchion tube still sits at 10 - 12 mm as you noted above. I should also note that the corner the photo is taken on is a very fast sweeper. With the correct line you are using high revs 10-12k rpm in 4th gear and you need to be cranked right over. Also note for this track I use 14 / 46 sprockets

I believe you said the front has emulators in it; do you recall the spring rate?

I''m not sure what the spring rate is on the front end. I haven't had it apart to check. We did measure the sag on the front and it appears they are on the heavier side for my weight. Also I still have about 15mm of travel left after checking with a cable tie on the fork tube (note there is a few points of very hard braking on this track). I have lined up a set of standard forks from an 03 R6 so I will be stripping those down and rebuilding them with gold valves & springs before they get swapped over.

You might take a look at this; its long but thorough and may offer some insight in getting the suspension set for your style! Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

Thanks for for sharing and Good Luck! Bike and rider look Great!

^^^Thank you for the link. The guys I had helping me at the track are pretty switched on so I'm very glad I had them their. I'm a car mechanic by trade and have gone on to study mechanical engineering, I now work for a local engineering consulting company. I've always had dirt bikes as I grew up but I only got into road bikes about 3 years ago & road racing about 1.5 years ago, so I'm still learning about suspension set ups on bikes. Also with racing on the track, their is so much more to it than meets the eye. A big learning curve.