Think I need a new battery

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up my bike from my buddies garage where it was all winter. Before putting it in I had some issues with it not starting when cold. I asked him to charge it before I got it but the alarm kept going off meaning it had gone completely dead. I had him pull the alarm and charge it up and he said it was holding 12v. I picked it up and rode 40 minutes on the highway before getting 6 blocks from where I was going and it died at a light and wouldn't restart. I pushed it a few blocks until it was slightly downhill and bump started it.

I have been reading the thread below and need to trouble shoot to make sure its just the battery but that being said I probably need a new one. Question is what is the best or most reliable battery I can replace it with. I now live in the city and so often do short rides with lots of stop and go traffic and want to use my alarm often if possible.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated so I can get this ordered asap.

Thanks in advance.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a yuasa as the stock one lated me 8 years. I couldn't find another gt12b-bs so I got a yt12b-bs. I like that it's a sealed battery. Couldn't tell you how it is in the long run though; i just got it, but others have rated it highly and if the stock yusa got me 8 years I have faith that this one will be good and reliable also.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up my bike from my buddies garage where it was all winter. Before putting it in I had some issues with it not starting when cold. I asked him to charge it before I got it but the alarm kept going off meaning it had gone completely dead. I had him pull the alarm and charge it up and he said it was holding 12v. I picked it up and rode 40 minutes on the highway before getting 6 blocks from where I was going and it died at a light and wouldn't restart. I pushed it a few blocks until it was slightly downhill and bump started it.

I have been reading the thread below and need to trouble shoot to make sure its just the battery but that being said I probably need a new one. Question is what is the best or most reliable battery I can replace it with. I now live in the city and so often do short rides with lots of stop and go traffic and want to use my alarm often if possible.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated so I can get this ordered asap.

Thanks in advance.

Charge the battery fully and simply have it LOAD TESTED. It does sound as if its toast. (Auto zone, Walmart, any auto parts place will check it for free).

The alarm (if hooked to the bikes battery without a charger) would have drawn it down slowly and long, the best way to ruin a battery permanently..

IMO, I'd stick with the Yuasa OEM.

They come partially charged and to get the longest life out of it, it needs to be put on a trickle charger until FULLY CHARGED. That takes sometimes up to 8 hours. Charge it BEFORE ANY LOAD (that means cranking the bike up even for a second).

Once thats in, especially for city riding, keep your idle up at 1,300 RPMs, all extra accessories off, if you have a dual headlight mod, disconnect it for another 60 watts.

Please post your results and good luck :thumbup:

billygatso

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, it could be that your bike is not charging the battery which would probably be caused by a faulty rectifier. Try running the bike and checking the voltage across the battery terminals, it should be over 13 volts. Best to check before you buy a battery.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I do plan to test the battery once its in to make sure it is charging. Something else occurred to me. Once I tried to start it back up the dash lights went dim/off indicating it was out of juice but then it chirped twice and the hazards flashed twice which come to think of it probably means he hooked my alarm back up I am guessing. I have to try to take a closer look tomorrow. Is my best bet to order the battery online or will I find it locally at a decent price?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do plan to test the battery once its in to make sure it is charging. Something else occurred to me. Once I tried to start it back up the dash lights went dim/off indicating it was out of juice but then it chirped twice and the hazards flashed twice which come to think of it probably means he hooked my alarm back up I am guessing. I have to try to take a closer look tomorrow. Is my best bet to order the battery online or will I find it locally at a decent price?

I think most auto parts stores have motorcycle batteries.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once I tried to start it back up the dash lights went dim/off indicating it was out of juice but then it chirped twice and the hazards flashed twice which come to think of it probably means he hooked my alarm back up I am guessing.

Dimming/flickering dash lights while cranking or loosing the current time on the clock are the first signs of a failing (or battery needing a charge) battery.

As soon as my dash lights flicker, I order a new battery. I've never had to push start the bike (and won't). My luck, I'd drop the bike and cause $1,000 damage for a $70.00 battery..

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Im thinking of getting the trugel from oemcycles - any feedback on battery/vendor? Probabky get voltmeter too.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
The OEM Yuasa in my bike lasted eight years, 115k km and is still going. Didn't charge it over the winters, just bumped it in the spring and rode it to let the bike recharge it. That's really more than I can ask of any battery.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
If you haven't checked that thread that [MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION] mentioned, you can find the OEM battery for $75 shipped (assuming free shipping of some type) directly from Amazon. It's considered a hazardous material item, so if UPS or another carrier busts up the box, you may have issues with a return.

Also -- I thought my box was opened and I was missing the instructions, but they are in the electrolyte / acid packaging separate from the battery.

nthdegreeburns

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Yuasa on the way. Can anyone do me a big favor and tell me what tools I need to take off fairings, lift tank and swap battery?

I recently moved and tools are mia and bike is stranded 30 mins from my house.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yuasa on the way. Can anyone do me a big favor and tell me what tools I need to take off fairings, lift tank and swap battery?

Good choice.

a 10mm socket, extension and rachet for the ft tank bolts and rear hinge bolt.
A set of metric allan keys to remove the inner, black fairing (so the tank clears the plastic when lifting the tank).
A stick about 16" long to support the tank up while working. (some like bungees but I prefer the stick so I don't
pull out the fuel pump wires)

Your 10mm socket will fit the battery retainer and the battery bolts.

Not necessary but a help, small piece of heat shrink, less than 1/4". Its cut down very short (aboiut .25") and a small
piece is stuck UNDER the battery connector nuts. Makes catching the positive and negative nuts when putting the cables back on MUCH EASIER as their now held upwards.

Last edited:

hoot

Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced my 4 years old battery. It was having a hard time starting in the cold. Once you warm it up it starts fine, but since I ride almost all year long, I needed a new battery (I was stranded last winter).

I got the Battery Tender Lithium Iron battery (240 CCA) for ~$110. Started right up, and it's so, so light! Recommended. It's supposed to last a long time too.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good choice.

Not necessary but a help, small piece of heat shrink, less than 1/4". Its cut down very short (about 1/4") and a small
piece is stuck UNDER the battery connector nuts. Makes catching the positive and negative nuts when putting the cables back on MUCH EASIER as their now held upwards.

I also found you can use those squishy foam ear plugs to hold those little terminal nuts up. The foam keeps em nice and snug so the won't fall out and the foam will not hinder any thing. one ear plug cut in half is good for both nuts. :)

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site

If this is your first time, and if your tank is relatively full -- do not tip the tank back too far. I dumped a half gallon of gas, it seemed, fmthe overflow hoses doing this. Only as high as you need it to remove the air filter cover and the battery.

Lessons learned...

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site

By the way -- check your tool case for the bike. I used everything from that case except the 10mm socket. The 10mm wrench from the bike tool case is too big to get around some of the tight spaces on the battery.