Who here has to pay for MSF classes, and how much?

how much do you pay for MSF course?

• $0; FREE!

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • $1-$100

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • $100-$200

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • $200-$300

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • $300+

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Army covers it. It's a requirement to have BRC and on some posts - ARC. Since they are requirements, the Govt foots the bill. It has to be cheaper than letting all these yahoo's loose on liter bikes after being deployed for 14 months.

Supposedly, the Jason Pridmore's Star course is either free or very cheap to military groups as well. Haven't tried this one, only heard of it.
So BRC and sometimes ARC are required for you to ride a motorcycle anywhere? Or just on base? If a civilian wanted to ride on a military base would they need to show brc completion card?

I'm in IL too, and I took a private course for $350-400. From what I remember the state courses fill up very quickly, so you might miss an entire season of riding.
They fill up VERY quick. When I plan on taking a course for the year I check multiple times a day starting in the middle of February since they usually open for registration near the end of February or into March.

I took the BRC thru Abate of Colorado.....prices have gone up since 2007 though:

ABATE of Colorado

And I was the only woman in the class...not counting our instructor :)
Nice! I had a woman instructor at the last class I took!

Nzero

Reaction score
Visit site
The course I took a couple of years ago here in Lenawee county, MI cost me $75. They provided the bikes (Nighhawk 250's, and Rebel 250's). The instructor was a local sheriff that's apart of the bike patrol. He was very knowledgeable and taught us a lot of cool tips and tricks. Well worth the money! :thumbup:

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
I just took the BRC here in upstate NY. It's held at a community college by a private company but you "enroll" in the college. $275.00 plus your own helmet ($60.00) and gloves ($24.00). They run 250's that have seen some hard times. I had a blast but when you add everything, it's a tidy sum.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just took the BRC here in upstate NY. It's held at a community college by a private company but you "enroll" in the college. $275.00 plus your own helmet ($60.00) and gloves ($24.00). They run 250's that have seen some hard times. I had a blast but when you add everything, it's a tidy sum.

You pay to use your own helmet and gloves?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I paid $125 in VIRGINIA for my MSF class but that was in 2006 and they provided the bikes, all you had to bring was a helmet. That was small beans to learn to ride and not have to have your own bike to do so since most people taking the class had never even ridden a street motorcycle before. I didn't have to take it to get my license but my insurance rate was much lower with the class.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The course I took a couple of years ago here in Lenawee county, MI cost me $75. They provided the bikes (Nighhawk 250's, and Rebel 250's). The instructor was a local sheriff that's apart of the bike patrol. He was very knowledgeable and taught us a lot of cool tips and tricks. Well worth the money! :thumbup:
And now you have an in with the sheriff in case he ever pulls you over! :spank:

Ours is run through a few of the major colleges here in IL, but we don't have to "enroll".

I didn't have to take it to get my license but my insurance rate was much lower with the class.
Another perk!

garmie

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid $120 in Washington state. That's the state-subsidized price which accounted for 6 out of the 12 seats in the class. The other 6 paid like $175 or something like that. Only 6 out of the 12 students passed both tests. We had bikes provided and they had some loaner helmets, but not enough to loan to 12 people. The riding was 50% in the rain - a really miserable way to learn.

Most of the class was common sense and very, very basic, but beneficial considering it was only about $30 more than paying to only take the tests independently.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid $175 (???) for the 2.5 MSF course, I have paid $125 for two sessions of the MSF basic bike bonding course. This is in Georgia at a ride provided Honda training facility managed by MSF people.

thatguymike

Reaction score
Visit site
My girlfriend and I paid $200 a piece for the BRC. We take the course this next weekend!! Im so excited lol.

BTW I'm in CT.

We could have just went and got our permits and been done with it. But the knowledge is more than worth the $200 IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
I paid with skin and bone when young! I was grandfathered in.When Indiana started with the MC endorsement all you had to do was walk into the License Bureau and say "I ride motorcycles" and you had a M on the back of your license!I wonder what it would save me on insurance to take a course?,Never mind what I could learn!Never to old to learn.May meet a Lady or two!If I don't learn something during the day,I consider it a day wasted!Been riding over 50 years but I'm sure there's a thing or two I don't know.LOL! Learned with foot clutch and "suicide" shift on the side of the tank!Clutch and shift were both on the left!It was a 1940's Cushman Eagle.Oh the memory banks are sparking tonite!Oh,and Dad checked now and then to make sure the governor didn't "vibrate" off! Blah Ride On! :cool: Rich

Last edited:

FZSizzle

Reaction score
Visit site
If I remember correctly I paid $200-250 for my 2 day beginner course and they provided helmet (I brought my own) and bike. But the also give an experienced course for 100-150$ and you can bring your bike. No complaints I learned ALOT and great patient people giving coarse instruction. Money well spent!

Love riding my FZ6!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
NJ: $295 for BRC (it does vary slightly from school to school.. I think ~250 is the cheapest).

There used to be a free program in NJ not too long ago. The state had 2 sites. The program went bankrupt in few short years.

The states which offer BRC for free.. it's not *really* free. Everyone pays for it. It's typically rolled into car / motorcycle registration (certain % goes towards rider education).
Jesus
Damn, that's expensive! Is the BRC2 any cheaper do you know? (since I'd be able to use my own bike, I'd assume it'd be cheaper)

This is what I get for never going years ago :disapprove: , but I'll definitely look into the BRC2 instead if it's almost half that price. :(

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jesus
Damn, that's expensive! Is the BRC2 any cheaper do you know? (since I'd be able to use my own bike, I'd assume it'd be cheaper)

This is what I get for never going years ago :disapprove: , but I'll definitely look into the BRC2 instead if it's almost half that price. :(

Much cheaper. 125 last I checked.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If I remember correctly I paid $200-250 for my 2 day beginner course and they provided helmet (I brought my own) and bike. But the also give an experienced course for 100-150$ and you can bring your bike. No complaints I learned ALOT and great patient people giving coarse instruction. Money well spent!

Love riding my FZ6!

For the BRC, you want to use their bikes! They are used and abused, if you drop or crash, it's not yours. Get those drops out of the way on the training bikes, not yours. It's common when many of the riders have zero or very little riding experience.

For the experience, yes, use your own bike. At this point, we expect that the rider is proficient in the basic skills required to ride a motorcycle, therefore the likely hood of crashing or dropping your bike is minimal, but still happens from time to time.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the BRC, you want to use their bikes! They are used and abused, if you drop or crash, it's not yours. Get those drops out of the way on the training bikes, not yours. It's common when many of the riders have zero or very little riding experience.

For the experience, yes, use your own bike. At this point, we expect that the rider is proficient in the basic skills required to ride a motorcycle, therefore the likely hood of crashing or dropping your bike is minimal, but still happens from time to time.

+1 on the above. I took mine through the Harley Rider's Edge program. One other thing regarding the BRC is that people that do have a fall on the course sometimes decide that riding is not really for them. Better to figure it out early before you make the investment or have an incident on the road because your heart really isn't in it. [emoji33]

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Delaware: $50 for in-state residents, 200 for out-of-state.

It's really worth your the value of your bike at a minimum but on the high-end... your life... A bargain!

Echoing the use of the course bike. If you use your own... at best, it's unnecessary wear and tear on your (probably) bigger and more difficult to handle bike. At worst, it's... worse.

I rode mine to/from under permit, then whipped the Buell Blast on the course.