LED Light Bar Conversion

tdcampbe

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried searching but came up with nothing. Has anyone done the naked conversion with a 6" LED Light bar? I think this is the route I want to go but I wanted to see some pics first if anyone else has done it?

Thanks for the help!
e-series-led-light-bar-rig-10611-mc_4857.jpg

tdcampbe

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes that is what I mean and I believe it would work fine. What are your doubts? brightness or glare? Brightness should be more than efficient. Glare could be the only possible concern??

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of the new cars and I believe motorcycles (maybe a BMW bike?) have LED only headlights...I could see this working out.

Haven't actually seen a naked with the LED bar though, this would be interesting.

tdcampbe

Reaction score
Visit site
I was actually thinking of the flood/spot combo. This bar has the outside LEDs as flood beam and the inside as spot. This would give the best of both worlds as the spot would illuminate the road ahead and the flood would illuminate the side road of any potential hazards. This is the light I have on my truck (42 inch) and it is unbelievably bright.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think this could be a cool alternative if there is enough light output and the the width of the light pattern is not too wide. If the light output is good and you have to deal with the hi and lo beam function, you could build an additional shutter for the hi beam cutoff, much the way they do the cutoff in the HID projectors.

Kind of a squarish design for the FZ6 but I think it's a cool idea. :)

Last edited:

tdcampbe

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree on the squarish design comment, but that's kinda what I like the most about it. I really like the "garage built" look. I don't want a factory looking conversion. clean yes, factory no.

tdcampbe

Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered the parts I needed for this conversion. Everything should be here by Wednesday. I am going riding up on the Blue Ridge Parkway this Saturday so I'm not going to start till after that. I'll keep yall updated.

tdcampbe

Reaction score
Visit site
So I got my light bar today and decided I couldn't wait so I ripped the old off and threw her on there. Keep in mind that this only took me about 15 minutes total so I still have a lot of cleaning up to do. I did this just as a start. I plan on making a bracket that goes over the top of the light bar to mount the speedo and turn signals to. Will also be adding some bar end mirrors. All that being said... I love it. And the more I stare at it, the more I love it. I think it looks completely bad ass.

I have not tested light output on the bike at night yet as it is not wired up yet. I will probably wire it up sometime later this week and I find some time. I have hooked it to a battery thought and it seems like it should work perfectly fine.

20140421_180008_zps09e83a47.jpg

20140421_180013_zps994a03ed.jpg

20140421_180028_zpse6f8274c.jpg

20140421_180021_zpsafedb4c2.jpg

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Now all you need to do is fabricate some weird industrial steampunk windshield above (no curves, just straight lines and bends) to make it look crazy :)

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks pretty cool, I was thinking about doing similar with a pair of Hella fog lights from an early 90's porsche - two rectangles - would have looked similar. I'm imagining being blinded by you going down the road.

Sidenote:

Your forks look like you dropped the triple trees down about an inch on the stanchions - is your rear lowered to match?

tdcampbe

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you will definitely be able to see me coming. I have dropped the forks about an inch but nothing is done to the back.

I'm trying now to figure out what I want to do with the stock wiring harness. If I want to get rid of the bulky stock connectors or not. I am planning on making my bracket for the speedo and turn signals Monday of next week so once that is on, I will have a better idea of what I want to do with the wiring.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you will definitely be able to see me coming. I have dropped the forks about an inch but nothing is done to the back.

I'm trying now to figure out what I want to do with the stock wiring harness. If I want to get rid of the bulky stock connectors or not. I am planning on making my bracket for the speedo and turn signals Monday of next week so once that is on, I will have a better idea of what I want to do with the wiring.

Pull them back into the frame. It takes a little bit of wrestling but you can get them back under the tank/on top of the battery and you'll have plenty of space.

What preload do you use on the rear shock? How stable does the bike feel at speed/coming out of a corner hard? The reason I'm asking is because I think that mine (also dropped roughly an inch up front) is a bit less stable at speed but I like the snap that I get dropping into the corners.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

tdcampbe

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have suggestions for a windshield/flyscreen that will match up with the led bar? i have been looking but cant really find one i like. The closest i have found is the buell but i dont really want to pay 100 bucks for a piece of plastic.

Light output is decent. It really iluminates EVERYTHING in front of the bike excellent. The problem is it is rather easy to out run the light with my visor down. I have a Shoei qwest with a blacked out visor. It was difficult to see with the stock headlight at night with the visor down so I am rather used to this. With my visor up, I have no problems at night what so ever.

offroad505

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks cool!

Ive been looking for brighter options aswell. The combo led is what I was thinking. Now that you've had it a couple weeks how do you like it? Did you just splice it into the headlight wiring? Resistors or anything like that, hi/low beam?

Thanks