Bike got hit while parked today-is this kickstand play normal?

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was parked on the street today and my bike got backed into. It didn't get tipped over. The right side is what got backed into, and a witness said the bike was teetering on the kickstand. Besides a damaged oil pump cover, there is horizontal play in my side stand when down. I'm looking to confirm if this is normal or did this occur from being pushed onto the side stand. A video is posted below of what it is doing.

Thanks for your help!
[youtubevid]-mrZg76hdZA[/youtubevid]

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ1 is like that (normal). Pretty sure FZ6 was like that too.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does the same -- about 1/2 inch of play measured at the bottom of the stand.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to see everyone chime in! ^^ :thumbup:

The kickstand has educated me as it squeaked and groaned upon being put down (like people?), so foolishly I applied chain lube to it.

A word of caution - dOn'T Do It!!!! It's one case in millions where lube is not the answer! Mind you it no longer speaks but the irony is I was used to it taking effort to deploy - after lube it jumps at the ground and I nearly fell over; like 4 times! :surrender:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was parked on the street today and my bike got backed into. It didn't get tipped over. The right side is what got backed into, and a witness said the bike was teetering on the kickstand. Besides a damaged oil pump cover, there is horizontal play in my side stand when down. I'm looking to confirm if this is normal or did this occur from being pushed onto the side stand. A video is posted below of what it is doing.

Thanks for your help!
[youtubevid]-mrZg76hdZA[/youtubevid]

So what happened? Everything OK?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, let's try to correct the bad habits of calling it a kickstand. The correct terminology; its called side stand.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! It's something I've never noticed and wanted to make sure it wasn't from the hit. Greatly appreciate the help.

It's funny how you don't notice little things like that until something happens to your bike. I just ran out to check mine and it does that too.
That was exactly it! Bike was still sturdy, but I had to be sure.

So what happened? Everything OK?
Yeah. Besides some scuffs on the oil pump cover there is no other damage.

Okay, let's try to correct the bad habits of calling it a kickstand. The correct terminology; its called side stand.
Lol okay okay.. Hey I used both terms in my post.

Here's a picture of the damage to the oil pump cover. Purely cosmetic. Made sure it wasn't leaking any oil at the gasket or plug screw, and there are no cracks. Everything has been running smooth for about 100 miles.

My next question is, if i replace the cover what should I put around the crank shaft position sensor to seal it? I have used silicone with success in similar applications and the manual calls for Yamaha bond no. 1215. Any suggestions?

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was parked directly in front of the police station so the woman who hit it went in and admitted fault. Got a police report filled out. Probably won't even file through insurance if she just give me money to pay for damaged parts.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You got REALLY lucky then, most people would be scumbags about it and just drive off.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You got REALLY lucky then, most people would be scumbags about it and just drive off.

Ya I did get lucky! I thought the same thing; got one of the few honest people. There were a few witnesses and it was right in front of the police station so I'm sure we would gotten her anyways.