Fjr1300ae

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
A 2006 FJR1300AE just went up for sale near me. Mint condition, garage stored 6,800 miles! Asking price is $6,000. I want to jump on this but have concerns with the automatic clutch. Does anyone have any experience with this? I also believe that 06 was the first year this option was offered so I am concerned about quirks and dependability.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They did have a re-call for the ignition switch (its free if not already done).

Some of the FJRs, including the automatic had issues with the clutch plates sticking from the factory. If shifting got funky, simply pull the friction plates (same set up as the FZ) clean and soak them in oil. There would be excessive dragging SITTING in first gear.

Other than that, maybe one time of a shifter solenoid acting up but overall, no issues...

I wouldn't hesitate because its an auto, just do of course a good going over as you would with any bike your looking at.

Last edited:

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I want an FJR too but have never ridden one. I plan on avoiding the automatic model because i worry that it would take some fun out of riding it. I had not been concerned with the reliability of it. After all, it is a Yamaha

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are those automatics switchable? Can you operate the clutch/tranny manually or is it a set system?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Are those automatics switchable? Can you operate the clutch/tranny manually or is it a set system?

The clutch is completely automatic w/ no lever. Shifting is manually activated and applied electronically. The bikes have a traditional left foot gear lever and a control at the left grip to initiate a shift- freedom to use either.

moto-rider.net:
Yamaha’s YCC-S (Yamaha Chip Controlled Shift) is a wonderful piece of engineering even a six year old could learn to operate. There is no clutch lever on the left handle, the rider only has to twist it, and the shifting is taken care of by a push button mechanism located on the inside of the grip.

The upshift button is where one would expect the high-beam flasher to be, the downshift button is right under the horn – I honked that a few times instead of shifting down – which is kind of weird, but riders have ways of overcoming such awkward moments ( by positioning and keeping fingers over the two buttons, which are actually the two ends of the same lever sticking out of the control housing.). As I said before, it did give me a few awkward moments till I got used to it, but I honestly believe it’s a step forward from traditional foot-shifters.

I was told – though nobody ever took the bike apart for me to see – that both the shifting and the clutch were handled by a state-of-the-art computer system that operated them in a close correlation, thus making possible the virtually unnoticeable gear transitions I experienced. The electronics also controls the clutch according to throttle and the type of terrain the bike is riding on (steep climb or downhill sweepers)
Review: Yamaha FJR 1300AE

FJR1300AE Clutchless Shifting - Roadracing World Article

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that seems like a very good price! Never ridden one of the Automatic models but I love my 05. I don't think the auto setup would be a bad thing. These bikes have so much torque that downshifting to pass etc is not needed like it is riding an FZ6.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Another thing you can;t do with an AE is bump start it. Having said that I have only ever had to bump start my FZ6 twice when the battery was going out !!

Timan

Reaction score
Visit site
I owned 2005 FJR and now have 2007 FJR AE. If that 2006 is in good shape; jump on that deal. Only thing that takes even the slightest adjustment is the transition going from low speed to the idle, as in pulling into driveway or up to gas pump, etc. I switch back and forth between bikes with clutch lever and the AE with no problem. I've owned over 60 bikes; a FJR is a keeper.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy it. Change the fluids and tires(only because of age, not miles) and be happy! With all my years on the FJR forum I can't remember hearing of a AE owner who didn't like it.

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently going against the grain on this one and contemplating a Triumph Sprint 1050 - Thje FJR's direct competitor apparently Blah

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently going against the grain on this one and contemplating a Triumph Sprint 1050 - Thje FJR's direct competitor apparently Blah

If buying new, the 2014 has some major updates with dual electronic performance settings (sport and touring), cruise control (since 2013) and now optional electronic suspension. A really hot looking red color too...

A tried and true, very refined bike over the years.

I can say, if something was screwed up, or the bike had an issue, Yamaha addressed it. IE, cruise control in the US bikes, were limited to 82MPH, Europe, I believe unlimited. For 2014, the US model now has the cruise control raised after much bitching. I guess Yamaha didn't realize, that in some places in the mid US, speed limts are that high and your back up traffic at 82...

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems that way after further reading - appears to have the true tourer label, heavy in refinement. One forum I came across where they had a huge debate, labelled the FJR an 'appliance' for those not wanting to worry about things like chain oiling, gear changes and riding's usual quandaries.

It definitely seems to have a market.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Never really noticed FJR's before, but I can definitely see the appeal. I'd probably go for a fully manual transmission, but they look great for commuting and touring, and seem to be economical too

DaveS

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 2003 Yamaha FJR in 2002 and had it for 10 years my wife and I did thousands of kilometres of touring on it and it was a fantastic bike. It's got all the power you'd ever need and you'll have no problem keeping up with the crotch rockets. The only regret I ever had with it was selling it :-(

Sent from my cell

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The first generation, 03-05 (mine was an 04) was, it threw a bunch of leg heat at ya, especially if you lived south. I believe if I lived anywhere north of Florida, I could live with it. Down here, I couldn't ride it half the year.

The newer gens, Yamaha addressed that and the heat is supposedly not an issue anymore.

Now, it doesn't have a 6 speed (it doesn't need it) is 1300cc, not 1400, again, IMO, doesn't need it. I got roughly 43, 44 MPG.

It could easily do 125 MPH on the "get on ramp" to the interstate, then you'd have to slow down for I75 traffic:rolleyes:

It was MUCH harder on tires than the FZ due to weight, HP, torque, etc than the FZ. The FZ tires, IME, last 2-3 times longer than the FJR.

Last edited: