Nail in tire!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It appears that my front Michelin PP2CT has picked up some tiny nail or scrap of metal. I can see it in the tread but it is imbedded too deep to remove with pliers.

What would you do?

Can I push it through and plug the tire? these tires have about another 1,000 miles left before I am going to replace them but I don't have the new tires yet and I would really like to get a few more miles out of this set.

If the tires were newer I would take the tire off the rim and patch it on the inside but I don't think that's worth it this close to the next tire change.

Thoughts? Would you plug a front tire?

EDIT: Oh it just started slow leaking. I lose 5psi per day so it's definitely all the way through.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it's not all the way through? There must be a way to remove it. Tweezers?

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a plugged front at the moment (as well as the back) View attachment 52796 it was a tiny hole that I could only find with soapy water.
I use the Stop and Go mushroom plugs and they work fine.

Sent from my HTC One on Vodafone 4G using Tapatalk 2

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd use sealant:

1. Remove the valve core, deflating the tire, add the sealant, replace valve, pump it back up.

2. Ride to warm up the tire and spread the sealant on the inside.

3. Remove the metal/nail where you'll see if it penetrated and it should seal.

Sealant won't work if the damage is too far off to the side or if the hole is too large- check instructions. I successfully sealed a rear tire on my last bike (nail.)

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As Cliff said.. maybe it's not all the way through?. May need to deflate the tire to be able to get a grip on whatever is stuck in there. If it's a small hole I'd plug it and keep an eye on it.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
When I worked in a tire shop we used thin pieces of steel to push back the rubber on each side so we could access it with a pair of pliers.. sometimes you need a tool that you can get a good amount of leverage on!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I forget to mention that I do have a slow leak (5psi per day).

I'm not to keen on sealant because it tends to make the wheel unbalanced. The nail is about 2" off center of the front tire. I'll try to get a picture.

I'm thinking plugging it and just keeping speeds below 65mph and easy on the twisties till I change these tires. Is it safe to plug it using an automotive tire plug kit like they sell at parts stores? Like this:
2010101509100641556_lrg.jpg

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I forget to mention that I do have a slow leak (5psi per day).

I'm not to keen on sealant because it tends to make the wheel unbalanced. The nail is about 2" off center of the front tire. I'll try to get a picture.

This is what worked for me. It claims to balance the tire in addition to sealing. There's actually a local motorcycle shop here that no longer performs traditional wheel balancing, just adds this stuff.

Motorcycle Tire Sealant | Scooters Tire Sealant | Motorcycle Formula (MOT) - Ride-On

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't use automotive plug kit. I've had good luck with pocket tire plugger. The plug has a mushroom head so it can't pop out. Works very well on small even holes.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So far - two plugs in two different tires. All I can add is that in both cases, the rasp to open the hole large enough for plug insertion was far more caustic than the nail & screw removed. As such, it was painful to ream it to fit as it made a sound no tire should make! :eek:

If the plug route is used on small leaks, it must go in with cement as it acts as a lube. W/out - its near impossible to get the plug in. However, in a pinch (as I was alongside the road) - a hefty spitball will do! :scared:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
That actually looks pretty good to me, just can't justify the expense on a tire I plan to swap out in a month or 2.

It's about $14 shipped for a front tire. A fat rear would need a lot more.

Perhaps it's best to shake your fist into the sky and replace the tire a little early.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A great deal on Michelin PR4's can be had at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC! About $20 cheaper than anywhere else I can find, including Revzilla and MC Superstore.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A good deal on a great tire might make changing it early worthwhile and give you peace of mind as well.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks fellas! I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order the new tires. I am going to attempt to plug this one though for practice and because I'd hate to not be able to ride the FZ at all this weekend! I'm just going to keep it slow on the plug and check pressure every time I stop. :thumbup:

A great deal on Michelin PR4's can be had at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC! About $20 cheaper than anywhere else I can find, including Revzilla and MC Superstore.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A good deal on a great tire might make changing it early worthwhile and give you peace of mind as well.

Good find, buddy! I am looking at the PR3/4 and that is a great deal!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the Road 4 definitely better than the Road 3 or Road 2?
That site has the tire pairs for these prices:

Road 2: $257
Road 3: $279
Road 4: $285

Cost difference is a non-issue but is the Road 4 really the best one?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I plugged a front with that slime reamer/plug combo. Like it was said before, they hold just fine, even at speed (though a top speed run may put a bit more force on it than you'd want to try.) If you can get the sliver out it'll be fine IMO. Though everyone seems more cautious about tires than I am.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the Road 4 definitely better than the Road 3 or Road 2?
That site has the tire pairs for these prices:

Road 2: $257
Road 3: $279
Road 4: $285

Cost difference is a non-issue but is the Road 4 really the best one?

My only experience is with PR2, but my question is "how much better does a tire need to be?"

I got 12k out of mine on FZ1. Always great grip and they were good enough for a track day at 12k. I would get another set in a heart beat.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My only experience is with PR2, but my question is "how much better does a tire need to be?"

I got 12k out of mine on FZ1. Always great grip and they were good enough for a track day at 12k. I would get another set in a heart beat.

I would be ecstatic to get 10K out of a set of tires. The best I've got to date is the factory BT021's at 6K and my current Pilot Power 2CT's are at 5,500 and could see another 1-2K if I wanted to push them.

I'm a bit worried abou the tread design of the PR4 front vs. the PR2 front.

In my experience front tires with tread grooves that are less than 45 degrees off the radial lines of the tire will cup over time.

Look at the difference.

PR2:
Michelin_pilot_road_2_front_tire_600.jpg

PR4:
michelin_pilot_road4_gt_tires_zoom.jpg

The PR4 is just asking to cup on the sides with those tread grooves being at that narrow of an angle.

I can understand why the PR4 would be better in the rain with that pattern but that's about the only thing it will be better for.

Last edited: