Death of US Bike racing

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
Death of US Bike racing :eek:

Discuss..
I guess we could talk about collapse of the # of US riders in the premier class, just 2 decades back US was dominating the racing world.
We may also throw in our bits about the changes seen over the past few decades in the way riding is perceived. I am sure there are many factors at play and the image of riding may be one which discourages people from sending their fledglings out racing.

There is something strange and disconcerting about the changes seen in the attitude toward riding a motorcycle.With the exception of a few states most discourage motorcycles, car lobby to blame? Insurance companies seem almost hostile toward riders, in some states they offer no Personal Injury protection (MA doesn't). I can't even convince the office management to have designated 2 wheeler parking spots.

I think the reasons go beyond mismanaging AMA.

I would like to get your take on why isn't the US churning out riders like the Spaniards are?

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle racing was never that popular in the US, as compared to Europe.

Edit: That article seems more like a criticism of the current management of racing in the US, not a statement about the actual popularity of motorcycle racing, so the title seems misleading.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's an interesting article, but as the author of the thread I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions and how they correlate to the article?
Are we discussing the management of the series or the demise of racing?
I grew up with the excellent Transatlantic series all I can say is bring that back and the fans will follow as will the cash.

Nelly

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
AMA has really gone down the tubes. It's sad. No sponsors, mismanagement is putting it into the grave.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that motorcycle racing is dead because the mass media doesn't cover it. There aren't enough races occurring around the country to get people interested thus no money. Nascar has all the money tied up in this country. I was shocked they built a new track in Austin (COTA). I guess enough money in Formula 1 racing to get that done.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I think media would cover it if advertisers would pay for it. I think advertisers would pay for it if people would watch it.