Steering

Dumas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello i have an 09 FZ6. was wondering if it is normal for the bike to want to turn itself under 20 miles per hour. The bars will fall into a turn on there on.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
no that doesn't sound right.. unless you are leaning when you let go of the bars..

i would check the head bearings and see if the front wheel has a weight on it. the easiest way that i know to check the head bearings is to put the bike on the center stand, crouch down and use your shoulder to lift the front tire of the ground, then bat or slap the front wheel back and forth. it should go back and forth smoothly, if not then its probably your head bearings.. good luck!!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
no that doesn't sound right.. unless you are leaning when you let go of the bars..

i would check the head bearings and see if the front wheel has a weight on it. the easiest way that i know to check the head bearings is to put the bike on the center stand, crouch down and use your shoulder to lift the front tire of the ground, then bat or slap the front wheel back and forth. it should go back and forth smoothly, if not then its probably your head bearings.. good luck!!

Agree.. should not turn if you're straight up, BUT.. if you are leaning (and I am assuming that's what is being asked) and if you're off the throttle.. yes.. the wheel will want to turn. Throttle is what will keep the bike on intended line, after you lean it over.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Roughly speaking an 8" tall round of wood under the headers works great. With the nose in the air, push and pull on the front forks; you should not feel anything move. Turn from side to side; other than cable rub, it should be smooth and fluent without binding, crunching, or anything like that.
attachment.php

When riding, are the bars straight ahead when going straight?
Are the stanchion tubes an equal height at the triple clamp?
How does the tire wear look from side to side?
Also, are you carrying any luggage or anything? And what happens over 20 mph? It just gets better and goes unnoticed?
When is the last time the rear wheel was off and/or any maintenance done? Is this condition the result of some repairs?

Your input really helps here. Be safe.

PS - just push down on the back of the bike and use your foot to slide the block under the headers. Works great.

Dumas

Reaction score
Visit site
It goes fine in a straight line. the bars will want to fall in the direction i lean almost like it will turn it self. Now it did it last year at Deals gap i got back and put a new tire on it and problem went away. I will check the head bearings again with the mention method.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
It goes fine in a straight line. the bars will want to fall in the direction i lean almost like it will turn it self. Now it did it last year at Deals gap i got back and put a new tire on it and problem went away. I will check the head bearings again with the mention method.

I had cupping in my original front tire, plus it was old rubber. It would upset the steering over anything less than a perfect road surface at low speeds.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds normal to me. If you are leaning the bike at a low speed, yes the steering will want to turn toward the direction of lean. Remember the difference between steering and counter steering? At low speeds you have to steer the way you want to go. At normal moving speeds (15 mph and above sounds about right) you push on the right bar to lean right and left bar to lean left.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Sounds normal to me. If you are leaning the bike at a low speed, yes the steering will want to turn toward the direction of lean. Remember the difference between steering and counter steering? At low speeds you have to steer the way you want to go. At normal moving speeds (15 mph and above sounds about right) you push on the right bar to lean right and left bar to lean left.

^^ Agree - especially if the nose is lower increasing the rake angle - totally normal. The bike will want to follow the riders cue - input and turn with you!

This is very unlikely but you might confirm the seat is straight over the rear tire. If the rear sub-frame is pushed over, you could be centered on the seat but not on the bike do to damage.

Can you have someone follow you and comment on rider position and if the bike is tracking straight? If the rear wheel is out of align it could track oddly making you the rider want to lean and compensate.