Bike cover...

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Dowco protector, I like that it has a heat shield in the back so that I can throw it on without really having to let my pipes cool (although I usually do anyway). It covers the bike entirely (barely a strip of rubber on the rear tire shows, front tire is even fully covered) and has a nice strap that keeps it wrapped around and grommets if you had a lock. Overall, I'm pleased with it; especially since I picked it up used on Craigslist for $30! :BLAA:

I don't have a top case, so I can't speak to that. I would imagine it would cover it fine, but it wouldn't go down as far and leave the rear tire exposed (if you care). You could go up a size to cover it, but then it might be a bit loose as mine is a perfect fit. The Tourer Bike Barn would definitely fit and looks really convenient, but they are pricey at $400.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Dowco is the way to go.

I have the Weatherall Plus in size Large, and it fits over my full Givi cases. Their site recommends the Medium but that won't handle the length of the topcase or width of sidecases.

The molded plastic vent and plastic grommets at the bottom are great - I run a cable lock thru the grommets and the front wheel, so that anyone who would steal the cover has to destroy it, and anyone who would steal the bike can't roll it. Been out back for two summers, no condensation/corrosion issues and no peeping toms. :D

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you comment on the size of the cover when folded/off the bike. I've been looking to get this cover but I want to be able to take it with me on the bike. They offer an ultralite version but it looks flimsy. For example how much room would the cover take if put into one of your givi sidecases?

Dowco is the way to go.

I have the Weatherall Plus in size Large, and it fits over my full Givi cases. Their site recommends the Medium but that won't handle the length of the topcase or width of sidecases.

The molded plastic vent and plastic grommets at the bottom are great - I run a cable lock thru the grommets and the front wheel, so that anyone who would steal the cover has to destroy it, and anyone who would steal the bike can't roll it. Been out back for two summers, no condensation/corrosion issues and no peeping toms. :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on what your exactly going to use the cover for (travel, storage day after day, etc) for me makes a difference.

+1 on the Dowco cover. Excellent protection, excellent customer service, get the best cover you can afford. I think I have a large cover which I used on my FJR and shouldn't be an issue with your top box. IMO, better too large than too small.

If traveling, the Geza cover is much smaller, is 1/4 the size packed as the Dowco: GEZA GEAR | Stretch Fit Custom Motorcycle Covers

This is what I use if the bikes going to sit outside in the Florida sun for more than an hour. Its NOT cheap but is very stretchy and if you park the bike thinking about the sun angle, it does cover most of the bike(as small as the cover is)

Last edited:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I use if the bikes going to sit outside in the Florida sun for more than an hour. Its NOT cheap but is very stretchy and if you park the bike thinking about the sun angle, it does cover most of the bike(as small as the cover is)

I assume this is to protect the paint and plastics from fading? I'd also like to do that but not so sure about putting a cover on my bike every day when I go into work..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I assume this is to protect the paint and plastics from fading? I'd also like to do that but not so sure about putting a cover on my bike every day when I go into work..

Yes. The sun is terribly hard on paint down here..

Actually, on my old 1989, KLR 250, when I was still working, I used a Dowco cover on it. It was my commuter bike to work from 1990 to 2000. Put 70,000+ miles on it (two engine main crank bearing replacments in that time frame).

The cover, in the very hard, Florida sun, literally fell apart after many years and many times I re-sewed it. The bike, especially with plastic fenders, side covers, etc, was very protected with that cover.

Dowco replaced the cover for free. I don't re-call I had to ship the old one back, just some pictures via e-mail..

I stored the cover at the police station, in a 5 gallon paint bucket (snap on cover), on the back lot so I didn't have to drag it around. Doesn't take 3 minutes to slip it on and off.

BTW, when I later sold the bike, I got more than I paid for it, much older, MANY more miles, as it still ran great and still looked good (at the expense of the cover). Well worth the investment in my opinion if your bike is outside constantly (un-less covered in a car port, etc)...

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also use have used a Dowco cover for a few years on my CB750, and now on the FZ6. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022ZN6WU"]This one[/ame] will fit my faired bike, which does not have cases. I fold the mirrors back to make the fit just that much easier. I have not traveled with it, but it does not fold up to be super small. That said, it could probably fit in my backpack (taking up most/all of it). Anyway, I've been pretty happy with it.

If traveling, the Geza cover is much smaller, is 1/4 the size packed as the Dowco: GEZA GEAR | Stretch Fit Custom Motorcycle Covers
I've have to check out the Geza Gear cover. Thanks for that. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also use have used a Dowco cover for a few years on my CB750, and now on the FZ6. This one will fit my faired bike, which does not have cases. I fold the mirrors back to make the fit just that much easier. I have not traveled with it, but it does not fold up to be super small. That said, it could probably fit in my backpack (taking up most/all of it). Anyway, I've been pretty happy with it.

I've have to check out the Geza Gear cover. Thanks for that. :thumbup:

My current cover is getting very thin and needs replaced. I used the link provided and it gave me a warning saying it does not fit. Will the large fit with her ears folder in? Does it cover the drive chain and sprocket/front rotor?? << Important to know!

"This does not fit your: 2008 Yamaha FZS600 FZ6"

Model was: Dowco 50003-02 Guardian WeatherAll Plus Black Large Motorcycle Cover; is yours perhaps a X-large?

Tks

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My current cover is getting very thin and needs replaced. I used the link provided and it gave me a warning saying it does not fit.

"This does not fit your: 2008 Yamaha FZS600 FZ6"

Model was: Dowco 50003-02 Guardian WeatherAll Plus Black Large Motorcycle Cover; is yours perhaps a X-large?

Tks

Yes sir, that's the one. I double checked my order history. It fit the CB and does the job on the FZ. Maybe an XL would fit even better. I'd definitely order an XL if the bike has any cases, though.

EDIT: [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] - If you'd like, I can take a photo of it on the bike, later.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes sir, that's the one. I double checked my order history. It fit the CB and does the job on the FZ. Maybe an XL would fit even better. I'd definitely order an XL if the bike has any cases, though.

EDIT: [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] - If you'd like, I can take a photo of it on the bike, later.

If yours DOES NOT have top cases, please do I would appreciate that very much! :thumbup:

Thanks in advance! Also - can you leave the mirrors out?

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If yours DOES NOT have top cases, please do I would appreciate that very much! :thumbup:

Thanks in advance! Also - can you leave the mirrors out?

Will do. No cases; I just strap things to the pillion or wear a backpack. It may not be until tomorrow, though.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Will do. No cases; I just strap things to the pillion or wear a backpack. It may not be until tomorrow, though.

As promised...

Without:
9emy6yhu.jpg

With:
5a8yqy2y.jpg

As you can see, it is a little snug around the mirrors, but not horrible, in my opinion. Plenty of room with the mirrors pushed back. This works for me, but some may want an XL. With the bike outside 24/7....and I wish that I had a shed, or a garage, but at least it's better than street parking...the cover will last at least 2-3 years before disintegrating anywhere. I have a new one for whenever I feel this one has run its course. Maybe I should've paid better attention to the warranty that [MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION] mentioned. :D

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As promised...

Without:
9emy6yhu.jpg

With:
5a8yqy2y.jpg

As you can see, it is a little snug around the mirrors, but not horrible, in my opinion. Plenty of room with the mirrors pushed back. This works for me, but some may want an XL. With the bike outside 24/7....and I wish that I had a shed, or a garage, but at least it's better than street parking...the cover will last at least 2-3 years before disintegrating anywhere. I have a new one for whenever I feel this one has run its course. Maybe I should've paid better attention to the warranty that [MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION] mentioned. :D

That looks exactly as the same cover as mine, but mine may be the next size larger.

If its the "Guardian"model, it has a lifetime warranty. (and they do honor it!!)

I checked the tags on mine and the size was gone. I used it on my FJR as well. On the FZ, it covers all the way down to the bottom of the tires, NO sun hits the bike..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As promised...

As you can see, it is a little snug around the mirrors, but not horrible, in my opinion. Plenty of room with the mirrors pushed back. This works for me, but some may want an XL. With the bike outside 24/7....and I wish that I had a shed, or a garage, but at least it's better than street parking...the cover will last at least 2-3 years before disintegrating anywhere. I have a new one for whenever I feel this one has run its course. Maybe I should've paid better attention to the warranty that

Tks!
Also - that little comment about how long it lasts, very helpful!
- I paid half this for a cheaper cover and the sun beat them down. They had a 3 year warranty. One had a seam stitch unravel (seam held) so i sent them (fleebay - Central Cover) a pic and they sent me a replacement no questions asked. Link: New Yamaha FZ6 Motorcycle Cover w Unique Features | eBay That said it fits a Faired FZ perfect. But the sun made it very thin and it tore in 2 years.

Perhaps a UV/H2O spray sealer could extend their life?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That Gaurdian will will last quite a bit longer than 3 years.

There's nothing much harder on surfaces/covers than south Florida sun..

My original cover lasted at least 5 years, 5 days a week, 9 hours outside, sun and hard summer rain..

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had one cover that was cheap, was said to fit my FZ, and I needed one. It was cheap.....very cheap....what a shoddy cover, if you ask me. :Flip: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Streetstar-Motorcycle-Cover-Cable/dp/B00172W4WW"]Champion Streetstar Motorcycle Cover[/ame]

The Dowco is far better, and it doesn't billow out threateningly whenever there's a nasty thunderstorm imminent. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally getting back to this.
Anyone ever find condensation inside the Dowco covers? Do they breath OK? I never cover the bike when warm.

PS - I did find this along the way: http://www.revzilla.com/assets/0000/1228/dowco_weatherall_plus_motorcycle_covers.pdf which leads to this:

Weatherall Motorcycle Covers
50124-00 SP - Sport bikes
50002-02 M - Small Cruisers w/o windshield / Standard / Retro
50003-02 L - Small cruisers w/windshield / Sport Touring
50004-02 XL - Large Cruisers/Touring
50005-02 XXL - Touring
50006-02 XXXL - Large Touring
50084-00 T - Trikes up to 107” L x 62” W
51223-00 CR - Angled front. Small/medium cruisers w/windshield, sissy bar & saddlebags
51614-00 AT - Adventure Touring /Sport Touring

More Sizing stuff:
Sizing descriptions: Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Motorcycle Cover - RevZilla

Be sure to get a cover that Fits over your sissy bar! Blah

[MENTION=21083]rumblestrip[/MENTION] Tks again for taking pictures and providing PN's

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone???

Anyone ever find condensation inside the Dowco covers? Do they breath OK? I never cover the bike when warm.

The covers I've had breath and looking at this product (Dowco), it never says anything about breathable.

So the question is: if the temperature changes quickly, is the bike damp under the cover? FWIW: Mine never is.... and there is no rust to be seen.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you comment on the size of the cover when folded/off the bike. I've been looking to get this cover but I want to be able to take it with me on the bike. They offer an ultralite version but it looks flimsy. For example how much room would the cover take if put into one of your givi sidecases?

We took both of our covers with us on a trip recently. They both fit in my Givi side case (smaller one) easy with room to spare. They fold up and compact down pretty small. We use the covers when we park at hotels for extra safety. We also have the caliper locks on the front tire. It was extremely windy one night we parked and the convenient strip held the cover in place beautifully