Waxing or sealing wheels

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Does anyone here use a product that claims to stop dust from sticking to the wheels? I remember reading about it on Autopia.org a long time ago but can't find it again. I'm tired off cleaning it all and then going for a 2 minute ride only to see them COVERED in dust(just asphalt roads).

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a can of Armor All Wheel Protectant that I use on occasion. It seems to help the brake and road dust stay off the wheels for a few days longer. However I haven't used it in a while because to me those extra few days aren't worth the effort of applying it.

YMMV

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Any synthetic wax will work fine. You just want something that doesn't leave white residue when it dries.

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can be bothered like me ;)

I treat my wheels the same as my bodywork on the car. De-tar, De-iron and then clay them before adding a layer of base sealant followed by a top layer of final finish sealant. Once a year is sufficient, top up the top coat once a month (or 2). Nothing sticks to them and the oil from the chain wipes straight off.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Any synthetic wax will work fine. You just want something that doesn't leave white residue when it dries.

Doesnt any decent wax leave a "haze" when it dries? which is then wiped off to get the wax effect.. am I missing something?

If you can be bothered like me ;)

I treat my wheels the same as my bodywork on the car. De-tar, De-iron and then clay them before adding a layer of base sealant followed by a top layer of final finish sealant. Once a year is sufficient, top up the top coat once a month (or 2). Nothing sticks to them and the oil from the chain wipes straight off.

Oh I can be bothered like you.. hahahaa

Which sealants do you use?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesnt any decent wax leave a "haze" when it dries? which is then wiped off to get the wax effect.. am I missing something?

You don't want carnuba based waxes as they will leave white residue in any crack or scratch. Synthetic waxes (actually car polishes), my favorite is Zaino Z2-PRO dries to a clear haze and buffs off very cleanly leaving no residue. That kind of polish can even be used on rubber and plastic without leaving residue.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
You don't want carnuba based waxes as they will leave white residue in any crack or scratch. Synthetic waxes (actually car polishes), my favorite is Zaino Z2-PRO dries to a clear haze and buffs off very cleanly leaving no residue. That kind of polish can even be used on rubber and plastic without leaving residue.

So it's a polish/wax combo? I'm willing to spend the time on it so I'm wondering if it's worth polishing and then sealing it after. Actually, afterthought.. these wheels are powdercoated so chances are good that a polish isn't going to really do anything. maybe I should just clay and seal?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
So it's a polish/wax combo? I'm willing to spend the time on it so I'm wondering if it's worth polishing and then sealing it after. Actually, afterthought.. these wheels are powdercoated so chances are good that a polish isn't going to really do anything. maybe I should just clay and seal?

Even though they are not clear coated they will still take to a good synthetic car polish. The sealer idea sounds solid as well but I just prefer to clean and hit them with the Z2 polish after every wash.

zaino_Z2b.jpg

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Even though they are not clear coated they will still take to a good synthetic car polish. The sealer idea sounds solid as well but I just prefer to clean and hit them with the Z2 polish after every wash.

zaino_Z2b.jpg

Hm.. ok, I'll give the polish a shot with the stuff I have for the car and hope it's aggressive enough to make a difference.

I'll was thinking of using one of Chemical Guy's sealants to keep brake dust etc from sticking so much but I posted this thread in hopes of hearing some proven advice on which polish works best.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One word of caution about using silicon based waxes is that should you desire to paint in the future (color change), its hell to get off and any residue left behind will cause fish-eyes in your new paint.

Yes, they make Prep-Sol and such products just for the removal of such things but silicon being what it is, it really gets into the places. As such a good wipe down doesn't remove it from all places. Then we scuff the surface to make a good mechanical bond for the new paint and literately spread it all over.

I was in the automotive paint and repair industry for 10 years. Silicone in nearly any form is just pure evil with regards to refinish!

Keep it mind.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
One word of caution about using silicon based waxes is that should you desire to paint in the future (color change), its hell to get off and any residue left behind will cause fish-eyes in your new paint.

Yes, they make Prep-Sol and such products just for the removal of such things but silicon being what it is, it really gets into the places. As such a good wipe down doesn't remove it from all places. Then we scuff the surface to make a good mechanical bond for the new paint and literately spread it all over.

I was in the automotive paint and repair industry for 10 years. Silicone in nearly any form is just pure evil with regards to refinish!

Keep it mind.

advice taken. thanks!