Pilot road 4 will be out in January

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Of the PR2s vs the PR3s', what's you opinion on overall miles you got out of each, ie, which lasted longer BEFORE CUPPING, SQUARING OFF, NO TREAD, etc?

Most of us are aware of the better performance of the 3's in wet conditions, but overall, real mileage, would be nice to know (as it takes, at least me) so long to wear them out..

The PR2's lasted about 22-23k km before reaching the wear bars on the back tires, the PR3's lasted 18k km before the centre zig zag disappeared on the rear. That mileage difference seems to be consistent with what some others are getting. No cupping issues on the 3's, but I don't ride as hard as some. Did notice some feathering on the tread of the front tire if you ran your hand over it but wasn't noticeable when riding.

The Z8's have about 18k km on them and should be good for about 4-5k km more bringing them in line with the PR2's for wear.

laddy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered the new Pilot Road 4's from revzilla. I will update when then get here and when I get a few miles on them.

laddy

Reaction score
Visit site
20140126_141156.jpg

20140126_141142.jpg

Here they are mounted. Have yet to put any miles on them however with it being so cold here recently. (Excuse the mess, just got the bike and am currently going through everything and fixing all the hack-jobs the PO did.)

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I got PR4 GTs installed on my bike, just before I decided to upgrade to an FJR !! The 200 miles I did on them were good !!

BatmanFZ6

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I do not like the Pilots.... I have them on my bike now and can feel them slip in curves. I am getting ready to swap them out for the Battlax T30.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I do not like the Pilots.... I have them on my bike now and can feel them slip in curves. I am getting ready to swap them out for the Battlax T30.

Which Pilots? They have Pilot Powers, Pilot Power 2CT's, Pilot Pures, Pilot Road2/3/4. I have the Power 2CT's now and they have been one of the best feeling tires on the curves, almost as good as the BT-016's I had before but the Michelins have lasted longer already.

BatmanFZ6

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I have right now. I have heard nothing but good things about the T30 so I figure for $250 for a set brand new I will see if I like them better. I even had a guy ride my bike last night and also commented on how the tires slip.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I have right now. I have heard nothing but good things about the T30 so I figure for $250 for a set brand new I will see if I like them better. I even had a guy ride my bike last night and also commented on how the tires slip.

How long have those been on the bike? The pic could be deceiving, but the tire looks dried up.. the best and stickiest of tires would lose grip if it were past its prime.

BatmanFZ6

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure.... They were on it when I got it about 2 months ago. They still have plenty of miles to go but I do ride in all conditions.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure.... They were on it when I got it about 2 months ago. They still have plenty of miles to go but I do ride in all conditions.

There's definitely plenty of tread left, but it's not an indicator of tire's life. If it's dried up, it will slip. Yours are the sport versions, so they technically should be stickier than Pilot Road (sport touring).

Take a look in the grooves.. do you see tiny, hairline cracks?

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I can make out Pilot Power in that pic. Tire age howto:

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

While tire age is good to know, it's also not a true indicator of how much life is left in a tire. It has been tested and proven that a properly stored tire can sit unmounted for up to 5 years (some manufacturers say 3.. others 5) and perform as a brand new one once mounted.

What really matters is how long it's been on the bike .. how many heat cycles it's seen. That, apparently, is what dries the tires up.

BatmanFZ6

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Visit site
There's definitely plenty of tread left, but it's not an indicator of tire's life. If it's dried up, it will slip. Yours are the sport versions, so they technically should be stickier than Pilot Road (sport touring).

Take a look in the grooves.. do you see tiny, hairline cracks?

On the tire its self there are what looks like small cuts, they look to smooth to be cracks. I am about to head out now on her so I will see if I can get a good picture of what I am talking about. These are the ones I am looking at thought

(Chack out his bike as well lol) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxI2CazdgWs"]Valentino Rossi rides the Bridgestone Battlax T30 (LONG VERSION) - YouTube[/ame]

BatmanFZ6

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot Power 2CT is what they are and my phone is not letting me upload the pictures of the lines so that will have to wait until geget to my computer.

MitsuFootDr

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had PR4's on mine since early March. So far they've been great. Really solid wet handling. Just did a 100 mile round trip today from Indianapolis to Kokomo and back, very comfortable tire.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Eric said ".. how many heat cycles it's seen. That, apparently, is what dries the tires up." How right you are. In the old days of Flat
-Track racing some riders would put new tires on top of a flat black roof to cook oils out of the tire to get it the way they wanted.Then they carved them with knives and razor-blades! :rockon:Then they went racing! Rich

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have updates on the PR4?

I got mine fitted a couple of months ago and love them. I know that new tyres always feel soooo much better than old so I left it a while to get a better idea. IMO the biggest improvement is it the tracking (riding in a straight line), I assume this is due to the redesigned tread pattern. I've also ridden through a thunderstorm with a lot of side wind, the grip in the wet was great :thumbup:
The tyres haven't put a foot wrong, no slipping or anything like that.
As for the life of the tyre I'll just have to wait and see (there is no visable signs of any wearing as yet).

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if PR5s will be out by the time I finally change my tires :rolleyes:

Glad they sound like a fine tire, like their predecessors apparently have been!