CountryBoy Travels.

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Gentlemen, Ladies,

I have some time on my hands this morning, so I thought I would post some of my past travels.

Some of these I have lifted directly from my posts on the R125 forum where I shared my journeys with my previous bike. But I was told they were well written, and I thought they might give some background information as to what kind of riding I get up to.

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
(Bear in mind this post is almost two years old).

A bit about me:
I'm English/French and I've lived in Britain, Italy, Germany, France and The Netherlands. I'm 22.

About Foxy Roxy:
She's a 58 Reg White/Red. I got her last July, she came with a Scorpion Carbon as well as some other small toys, and about 500 miles on the clock.

Here she is the day I got her:
Nottingham-20110817-00062.jpg

We spent last summer cruising through Nottinghamshire and on a few cruises up to the peaks. She stayed in the garage as I went back to uni, but in the New Year I had a new determination to ride her as much as possible (Though not worth getting leathered up for the commute into Uni).

I was going for my DAS with Beechdale in Nottingham (sound bunch of guys, cannot recommend enough! Though make sure you can stomach their (sometimes crude) humour! :D )

The day I had my Mod 1 booked, February 28th, I was on my way to Beechdale when I got cut up by a cab driver who left the scene. This is the outcome:
IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

Total Bill of Materials to restore to mint condition according to CMC Nottingham......£2800!

Thankfully, I managed to track the cab driver down, but because he claims he did not cause the accident and is a mere witness, the process is still ongoing through insurance. I have a witness, but it seems that until now he has not yet filled in his statement. He backs up my story, but without it, what can I do?

Regardless, on the 19th of April I passed my Mod 2 and have a fully unrestricted A license!
Before:
IMG_0713.jpg

And after:
IMG_0714.jpg

Spot the Difference?

This is around the time I got wind of an impending move to France on my parents behalf. With my degree coming to a close, I didn't know what to go for next. I was tempted to upgrade bikes. Due to the fact I like long rides, I was tempted by a Fazer 6 S2. More recently I have contemplated a Hornet as well, though the faired Fazer might be more for me. (This chapter is to be continued).

As the year went on, I went on more trips.
Here she is at Rutland Water on our way to Peterborough to pick up some Kriega Luggage. (Which i simply cannot recommend enough. It's expensive, but well worth it):

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

Finally. The plans for the move to France had been finalised. And my degree is over. I'm hoping for a 2:1. The contract of my house in Nottingham is almost finised so I needed to move back to Holland until I went to France.

Instead of sitting in the car for a day, I decided that I would take Roxy with me and we would do the trip our own way over 4 days.

Here I'm trying out different combinations for luggage:
IMG_0765.jpg

Or possibly:
IMG_0775.jpg

(Bad idea, it rubs).

I am now in Holland and the departure date is next Friday. I have decided on a route.

ScreenShot2012-06-13at175411.png

Now all I need is good weather. I've also kitted her out with an Ultimate addons iPhone mount, wired into the battery. That way I can use the Navigon app (which is also excellent). And if you look under the bubble, you'll notice my Robin Hood bear riding shotgun (The bike is from Nottingham after all).

afdb53cf.jpg

I'l try to keep you guys updated if you're interested whilst I'm on the go, if I can't I'l upload when I arrive in France!

Now it just depends on how much you guys respond to this thread.

CB

Last edited:

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Few days before the big trip I was bored one afternoon so I rode to Germany (just to say I had).

Here's the proof:
251ccb67.jpg

And I also came across these at the border. Turbine blades, waiting for night to fall so they can be trucked with minimal disturbance.
b6032d49.jpg

Route now completely finalised including stops and detours:
ScreenShot2012-06-15at124514.png

Who should pull up next to me at a petrol station in the middle of German countryside that day but a van full of guys from Newcastle buying beer. :D One look at me, they asked what I was doing and naturally assumed I was bonkers.

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all!

I'm back, (well, not back, I'm still in France. But you know what I mean). Right, so, this trip.

Day one: Utrecht (NL) --> Lille (FR). Not very eventful, other than the wind was atrocious. The night before I left, a storm knocked out power to 73000 homes in the Utrecht area. So the roads were pretty soggy. Also, and I cannot say this enough, trust your brain over the bloody satnav! The satnav is like the girlfriend with the maps instructions that you heed to appease her, but eventually, it'll leave you seething. Overtaking trucks on (very) windy dutch motorways is also tricky. You speed up in the lee they leave in their wake, but as you pass them you hit the wall of air their pushing out of the way and the bike slows right down. After a bit of weaving about, you eventually wriggle free and it's on to the next one.

Other than motorway riding on day 1, not a lot to report. Interesting bits in Belgium were the Antwerp ring-road, which is congested 24/7. No problem on a bike though, you just lane-split at 90kmh. Just be wary of tourists who are clueless, and if theres a faster bike behind you, let them through. The one thing that cracks me up is people with big bikes who are afraid to use them. There was a guy on an 1198 in Antwerp. Sitting at the lights showing off, revving the engine, but as soon as the lights went green he shot off, only for me to overtake him moments later (with all my bags and luggage) and lane splitting past him as he thought he might just sit behind a caravan in traffic like a pansy.....

Eventually got to France and my initial reaction to the traffic was "I am going to die", but after a bit, I got used to it, and it was all good. Spent the afternoon with the guy who got me into bikes a few years back. He took me to an open track day (a weekly thing organised by the local bike-cops at their own training track), and I got into bikes in a big way. I was going through a bit of a downer at that time, and I really focussed on bikes. Got through it and a year later, I got what I was working towards, Foxy Roxy.

Spent the afternoon with this guy (he's retired) but he's nutty about bikes, and we went round all the dealerships, and I got to see why all my French friends say their Mod 1 is so difficult. It's basically like ours, but the figure of 8, U-turn and obstacle avoidance are an "all-in-one" thing and its timed. 22 seconds to do the lot. Minor fault if you're .5 sec over and Serious fault if you're 1 sec over (Fail).

Day two: Lille (FR) --> Vernon (FR). Set off round 10ish for a ride down the A1 (Nutter-highway as I like to call it, because all the foreigners go about 160kph), eventually turned off because I noticed my bags were loose. My biker mate also gave me a waterproof overall that was too big for him, turned out to be a godsend on day 4. After a quick coffee me and Leandre parted ways, he went back to Lille and I opted for the N50 towards Amiens rather than the A1 to Bapaume. It was all national roads and the speed limit is 90 (which I took as an instruction to do V-max) fully loaded with a full tank of fuel and me (80kg) on board, the bike sits comfortably at 110. This is where I got my first proper experience of biking in France. Turns out that despite their reputation, French drivers behave exceptionally well towards motorcyclists. When you come up behind them, they mostly pull over a long way to the right (there's usually a hard shoulder about 1-2m on the N roads), and let you pass. Even on white lines, oncoming vehicles also pull out of your way. A quick flick of your right foot is common courtesy as a "thank you". Also, there is no "biker nod" in continental europe, you simply hold your right hand out. Also, cars and bikes (and the odd truck) have the tendency to flash you if you're coming up to cameras or police with speed-binoculars. Solidarity amongst motorists is strong in France (until they notice that you're a foreigner, as I have experienced driving my Dad's dutch-reg'd car).

After getting to Amiens (which I skipped) I took a short blast on the A16 (50km or so), to get some quick mileage out of the way. I stopped in Beauvais for some lunch and then left the motorway for some pleasant riding on small roads through sleepy villages. The satnav lady was PMS'ing at me again, so took me her own little way, which was still pleasant, but I did think a few times there must be a more efficient way of getting through here. After a fuel stop, Roxy turned over her 5000th km.

Couple more hours riding got me to Vernon, and you could tell it was saturday afternoon, as there were bikes everywhere. Arrived at my destination, (another friend from when I lived in Paris), and we hung out for a bit. She had just passed her test and gotten her hands on a mint GSF650 Bandit and she was rearing to have a ride, so off we went. Unfortunately she dropped it on the way out of the garage, though in her defence, she has very short legs and her garage exit is a really steep, corrugated concrete slip-way. I almost dropped Roxy as well. After mending bruised ego's we went to Suzuki and she had the bike checked. Just a scratched engine casing and a snapped clutch lever. Nothing serious. We then went off for a ride round some little roads to see where her bf lived (also a bike nut, has a Kawa 750 and an R1 (not limited to the legally required 106bhp of course)), where she worked and a few others. Back to Vernon for a chat and a (soft)drink at a cafe. We then got pic-nic materials for dinner and went back to the Sailing club where we met, for some dinner and nostalgia's sake. Dawned on me that we've been friends 8 years, which is not to be sniffed at.
409bc692.jpg

It was the "St-Jean" also known as the "fete de la musique" but the parties didnt look very lively, so instead, some late night riding was in order. At 11:30 we got back and decided it was time to sleep.

Day three: Vernon (FR) --> La Motte Ternant (FR). Woke up on the floor in my friend's flat. Made some coffee and she picked up croissants whilst I had a shower. Unfortunately a grey and wet day, but not pouring, so I rejected the rain suit. she rode with me to the motorway, where we split. I went in towards Versailles so I could ride past my old house in Jouy. It was Sunday and I missed a turn in Versailles, so I roared into town centre and it was market day. Joy-of joys, it took me about 20 minutes to go 300 meters. Got through and rode out past my old house. Wasn't nostalgic though, the three years we lived there were not the happiest. Got out of there and set my sight on central france. Drove through Paris suburbs until I got on the A6 the so-called "Autoroute du Soleil" or Sunshine Motorway, which I quickly renamed the "motorway of ************ty british weather I thought I left behind". At least the surface got better as I left the capital behind, until it was snooker-table smooth. Easily lapped up about 250kms over 2.5 hours. For the first time that day, I rode with some music feeding in off the iPod, and I have to conceded that whilst its not a great idea in town. If you ever have to do motorways, or any sort of longer routes, its quite nice. Unfortunately, my iPhone had only downloaded 3 albums off of the iCloud. So I'm now pretty familiar with The Killers and Kanye West. The most exciting thing that day was almost running out of fuel, I'm not entirely sure how far these bikes can go on fuel reserves, but I thought 50k might be stretching it, so I peeled off the motorway and got some fuel. I then thought I might look for some food but it was about 14:00 on a Sunday, and everything was closed. So I got back on the mway for another 50km and ate at the AutoGrill.

Finally got to the Morvan and left the motorway for good, could tell the temperature was much hotter round these parts. Good roads round there. I recommend it as an overnight stop if you guys should ever attempt a folly like this one.
5f3feb37.jpg

58118292.jpg

5f2c8079.jpg

Set up camp and had a sit down and a read, the noticed I had no food, no water, I didnt even have a torch (such a prepared camper). So I rode back into Saulieu to get sweets, drinks and crisps at the petrol station (miraculously open), and asked if there were decent places to eat. (This couldnt be a French roadtrip, if there weren't some good food thrown in). I was advised that the creperie was good. And indeed it was. delicious brittany style "galettes" with ham, goats cheese and tomato sauce, and a salted caramel crepe for desert. Absolutely divine. Went to bed a very happy man.

Day four: La Motte Ternant (FR) --> Trévignin (FR). Last day. Woke up very cold, with a banging headache and a really sore throat (like I'd been gargling sand). Turns out my dad's trusty 30 year old tent wasnt really waterproof anymore, and it was gushing down. I packed the tent as soon as I was up (after a steaming hot shower, I honestly cannot fault the campsite "Le Village" in La Motte, €10 for the night, great facilities, and free bog roll). This time I donned the rain-suit and decided to leave. It was 7:15.......Admittedly the places I was now driving through were gorgeous, back on a smooth Nationale road I ate up miles, the only downside was following a lorry loaded with sand, and he hadn't covered his load, both Roxy and I were now covered in crap.
78360e89.jpg

Stopped for coffee and croissant at about 8:45. I needed to be at my Aunt and Uncles for 11:30, where I'd invited myself for lunch. I have 60 klicks left to ride.......No matter, I took the rain suit off and kept going. I sat in their garden for a couple hours just relaxing and reading my book. The respite from the rain was welcome and I was warming up. For the foodies amongst you: My uncle dished up pan-fried veal liver in butter and herbs and some cheesy pasta. Delicious.
f774893f.jpg

After lunch, we had a few coffees, had some chit chat, and then my cousin came home from work, he had his lunch and made some more coffee "Bien tassé" (nice and strong), and I had about 5 cups of that. Needless to say I was buzzing a bit when I left. It was about 3 oclock and I had 180 km's to go till I arrived. Satnav was predicting a 6:20 arrival, to which I said "F that, I can get there before 6 oclock). I rode Roxy hard, very, very hard. I got there at 5:55, and this incudes a 5 minutes stop for fuel and a piss, and endless traffic in Bourg-en-Bresse. I don't need to emphasize that I was quite hyper.

After leaving Bourg-en-Bresse I rode across the plains and then, out of the mist, the mountains rose. (Honestly, just like in the movies). The road started to climb, and eventually some twists and turns started to show up, until the road just became a rider's wet dream. I was tired, felt ill, my pags kept pushing into my back every time i touched the brake, but those last 80km's through the mountains were so worth it. There were long dark tunnels where the (very hot) Scorpion was spitting and crackling and scaring the bajeezus out of cyclists. :D

I was getting hot and tired, it was about 32 degrees and I had my full gear on, but I just wanted to arrive, couldn't be bothered to stop.

I'm here now, I've moved in, and I'm flying back to Britain thursday, Roxy is having a holiday down here and I'l pick her up in August. Taking her for spin this afternoon (because, there's windy roads on my doorstep.....literally) and she is having her 6000km (3500m) service tomorrow.

All is well in my little corner in the world.

This little trip proves that you can tour on anything. It's great fun, and I recommend you all send your little 125's off in style with a long trip if and when you upgrade. High mileage is doable, and these little bikes are so reliable that you dont really need the toolkit (though obviously, don't come crying if you leave without it). In fact, the only weak link in the equation is the rider. If I didnt have to stop for food, sleep and toilet breaks, Roxy would have done the whole trip in a single sitting, I'm sure of it.

CB

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you need a bigger license plate! :spank: :D

Thanks for that, you're not the first to notice!
It was the legal size and fitted from the garage. It wasn't to be my "forever" bike so I never bothered to change it.

I fitted my new Dutch plate yesterday on my fazer. Thankfully it's about half the size. Story and pictures to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
After this long saga, I was back and forwards between England in France over the summer looking for work. (By plane). Until august where I took the bike back to the UK via Calais and Dover. It wasn't the most dramatic ride. I set off very early one misty morning and rode back the way I came, though I by-passed Paris.

I stayed the night in Saint-Omer, which was a fairly nice small town, but there's nothing much to report from there, nor are there any pictures.

The bike had it's first time on the ferry the next day and 300 uneventful kilometres later, we were back in Birmingham.

After that, I found employment. At Triumph Motorcycles in Hinckley. But my commute was 120km round trip and I didn't use the bike at all. So for a few months it just sat in the garage. I was still harbouring hope that the insurance claim was going to come through and that the witness might still respond to my insurer. But I actually took it off the road until Christmas, where on the 27th of December (before flying to France for the New Year) I decided I MUST get back on the road. So I reinsured, re-taxed and got back out there. Had a lovely day riding, but still didn't use it to ride to work. In February, my friend announced he wanted to get into biking, and as he knew I was considering a bigger bike, we quickly arranged a sale. I went to Scorpion Exhausts to get a replacement for the smashed up one. (Half price replacement service, courtesy of Martin Lomas). I got to see the facility where they make all the systems. It was much smaller than I expected and I was very surprised to find a brand new Daytona 675R in the shop. They were trying to figure something out and he tried to get me to share info. I'd like to say I had to keep the top-secret information to myself, but honestly it was nothing I could have helped with anyway, as I'm no engineer!

So off Roxy went to make another man happy. (Or not, he's crashed her three times and sold her off).

And I started looking for a replacement bike. The Fazer had stuck in my mind as the best all-rounder. Because even though I'm in my early 20's, I think like an old man, and I need it comfortable! The other option was a 2003 CBR-F, but I never got round to seeing that one. I saw a few Fazers under my budget but they had obviously used for couriering in London and were in a sorry state. I then decided to look for an S2 (I preferred the new clocks and cast swing arm). Which on my budget was difficult. Thankfully Hughenden M40 had one in stock which I went to see. I gave it a test run and was completely overwhelmed by the power!! Thankfully for me, Hughenden M40 is actually a Triumph dealer, so I pulled a bit of a dirty trick on the salesman. I negotiated like a normal customer, then asked what discount he would give to "one of his boys", the guys who worked there, and whisked out my Triumph business card and told him what I actually wanted to pay. He tried to haggle, but I stuck to my guns. I got what I wanted. :cheer:

And here she is on day 1:
IMG_1305.jpg

More later!

CB

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After this long saga, I was back and forwards between England in France over the summer looking for work. (By plane). Until august where I took the bike back to the UK via Calais and Dover. It wasn't the most dramatic ride. I set off very early one misty morning and rode back the way I came, though I by-passed Paris.

I stayed the night in Saint-Omer, which was a fairly nice small town, but there's nothing much to report from there, nor are there any pictures.

The bike had it's first time on the ferry the next day and 300 uneventful kilometres later, we were back in Birmingham.

After that, I found employment. At Triumph Motorcycles in Hinckley. But my commute was 120km round trip and I didn't use the bike at all. So for a few months it just sat in the garage. I was still harbouring hope that the insurance claim was going to come through and that the witness might still respond to my insurer. But I actually took it off the road until Christmas, where on the 27th of December (before flying to France for the New Year) I decided I MUST get back on the road. So I reinsured, re-taxed and got back out there. Had a lovely day riding, but still didn't use it to ride to work. In February, my friend announced he wanted to get into biking, and as he knew I was considering a bigger bike, we quickly arranged a sale. I went to Scorpion Exhausts to get a replacement for the smashed up one. (Half price replacement service, courtesy of Martin Lomas). I got to see the facility where they make all the systems. It was much smaller than I expected and I was very surprised to find a brand new Daytona 675R in the shop. They were trying to figure something out and he tried to get me to share info. I'd like to say I had to keep the top-secret information to myself, but honestly it was nothing I could have helped with anyway, as I'm no engineer!

So off Roxy went to make another man happy. (Or not, he's crashed her three times and sold her off).

And I started looking for a replacement bike. The Fazer had stuck in my mind as the best all-rounder. Because even though I'm in my early 20's, I think like an old man, and I need it comfortable! The other option was a 2003 CBR-F, but I never got round to seeing that one. I saw a few Fazers under my budget but they had obviously used for couriering in London and were in a sorry state. I then decided to look for an S2 (I preferred the new clocks and cast swing arm). Which on my budget was difficult. Thankfully Hughenden M40 had one in stock which I went to see. I gave it a test run and was completely overwhelmed by the power!! Thankfully for me, Hughenden M40 is actually a Triumph dealer, so I pulled a bit of a dirty trick on the salesman. I negotiated like a normal customer, then asked what discount he would give to "one of his boys", the guys who worked there, and whisked out my Triumph business card and told him what I actually wanted to pay. He tried to haggle, but I stuck to my guns. I got what I wanted. :cheer:

And here she is on day 1:
IMG_1305.jpg

More later!

CB
A lovely story, fair play for haggling like a "Boss" im crap at it. Enjoy the new bike and I look forward to your adventures.
What the hell is that other bike / tractor in the picture with your Fizzer?

Nelly

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
A lovely story, fair play for haggling like a "Boss" im crap at it. Enjoy the new bike and I look forward to your adventures.
What the hell is that other bike / tractor in the picture with your Fizzer?

Nelly

Thanks. I wouldn't say "like a boss" but this time I came out on top. I didn't want to repeat my experience when I bought my R125. I got a bit ripped off then.

Those weird things are can-am spiders. Give them a google. They kind of look like fun but I don't understand them. They don't have the advantages of a bike, nor the advantages of a car. But they have the drawbacks of a car AND the drawbacks of a bike. I wouldn't mind trying one out for fun.

There were a couple in amsterdam a few weeks ago with akrapovic exhausts and by god they are loud!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
So following on from buying the Fazer "Jess". I used her to ride to work for a few weeks, as one does. I didn't give me a large advantage in the morning, but on the way home I could save up to 25 minutes! Which made me very happy.

Through work I managed to get some excellent adventure touring bike gear which I could just slip over my office clothes. Warm, snug, and very very waterproof. The only downside is that instead of a weekly visit to the petrol station, I needed to go every 2 days. :(

The time came for a weekend away with the girlfriend. I had been to the New Forest in southern england the summer before and thought it would be a nice distance for a "Maiden Voyage" and a nice place to spend a sunny weekend.

I haven't got any pictures of the bike, but here's a picture of a wild horse
IMG_0001.jpg

(They populate the new forest and have the right to roam)
We also went for a spin to the Isle of Wight and got to see the fort at the Needles:
IMG_0002.jpg

We then went for a ride around the island. To St. Catherine's point, and into Cowes for some dinner. Had a lovely dinner in a very small cute restaurant who's name I cannot remember.
After desert I pulled the ferry timetble out of my pocket and to my horror noticed we only had 30 minutes until the last ferry sailed! So Jess got the first caning of many to get us to the ferry port on time.... there was o boat, no-one around. Now what?
IMG_0009.jpg

Well it turns out yours truly can't actually read a timetable properly at all. Because the 9:15 ferry doesn't exist on a Saturday. Though it does exist on a Sunday. But of course, being Saturday the last ferry was at 10:00. So my girlfriend got her romantic evening rounded off with loitering around an empty carpark for half an hour. (I honestly sometimes wonder whether I might be running out of lives) ;)
The next day we cruised around, visited the beach before riding back up north. We decided to avoid the motorways because "They're boring" according to my gf. I'm inclined to agree, but as we went past Blenheim palace (without stopping) I was fuming that the journey seemed not to be progressing because I "wasn't allowed to take the motorway".

In all this Jess coped beautifully. As per usual, the bike is never at fault, it's always the nut between the throttle and the steering which is the problem. :rolleyes: