On The Nervousness of New Bikers

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to be heading out for my first ride on my FZ6 tomorrow. Picking it up at 9am at the shop and heading out!

Got my license through a Motorcycle Safety course in April.

Glad to see the stats that as crazy as it sounds I am will be at less risk than riding my bike. I am an avid cyclist, racer, crazy man, and understand exactly what you are talking about.

I have gotten a lot of my friends into cycling and watch their nerves get the best of them. Of course you have to ensure that you are aware of your surroundings and be prepared for the unknown. However, being too nervous is never a good thing.

Hopefully I can carry some of the mentality of my cycling drive, and understanding of the world around me to aid in the same for the motorcycle.

Thanks Again! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guaranteed method of getting rid of nervousness:

-Performance riding instruction at a track, then practice at trackdays

Riding on the street you will be vastly more comfortable. Many tracks have slow street groups in which you can just ride your own pace and not be rushed. Here you can actually start experimenting a little bit and FINALLY learning how to ride free of the constraints of traffic/debris/etc

Lone I'm sure that trackdays may help some people, but IMO not for nervous people. I would suggest a further training course, I did one in March and it really helped confidence wise :thumbup:

Another tip is to do the exercises in the weekend workout, after all it is the weekend :thumbup:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Well... I have yet to ride my FZ, I'll be writing my license next month and doing the course in April, but I can say that I am absolutely ecstatic about riding it! I don't feel any nervousness at all, just sheer excitement(dont get me wrong, I'm not ignoring safety etc)

jeadra

Reaction score
Visit site
Lone I'm sure that trackdays may help some people, but IMO not for nervous people. I would suggest a further training course, I did one in March and it really helped confidence wise :thumbup:

Another tip is to do the exercises in the weekend workout, after all it is the weekend :thumbup:

Further training courses are never a bad thing to invest in, IMO. I started riding about 10 years ago, and my husband has been riding for over 30 years. We all get a little lax, and probably develop some bad habits over time. A little refresher never hurts....
We happened upon one of Keith Code's superbike schools when we were visiting Barber Motorcycle Museum one year (biggest collection of motorcycles I've ever seen!!), and I still find myself wishing I had known about it ahead of time, so we could have at least taken a few turns around the track....