Pics of tank bags on your FZ6?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having a real heckuva time deciding on a tank bag to replace my Marsee that is falling apart on me (secondhand).

Could some of you with larger tank bags post pics of how they look closed / expanded on your FZ6? Including details about the make and model number?

I want something like a Nelson Rigg CL-1035 (17L closed, 27L expanded), but I'm concerned its' gonna be huge. I'd PREFER it be big enough for my helmet when I arrive at various destinations.

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having a real heckuva time deciding on a tank bag to replace my Marsee that is falling apart on me (secondhand).

Could some of you with larger tank bags post pics of how they look closed / expanded on your FZ6? Including details about the make and model number?

I want something like a Nelson Rigg CL-1035 (17L closed, 27L expanded), but I'm concerned its' gonna be huge. I'd PREFER it be big enough for my helmet when I arrive at various destinations.

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

I'll post a picture of my Icon bag - it's a backpack/magnetic tank bag that has a fold out pouch for a helmet (but enough space to fit a helmet inside as well, so you could carry two helmets around. It's not too big on the fazer - when it's fully stuffed on the bike it doesn't hold as well though because you'll not be 'hugging' the tank as well. Pics later

EDIT: Pics now - found a picture of my bike from last summer- that's with a pair of shoes and some spare clothes I'd assume
EDIT2: Icon Urban Tank Bag - Icon Urban Tank Bag - RevZilla

2a19n3d.jpg

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my Oxford tank bag, I don't think you'd get a helmet in it but it is expandable, has magnetic side pads to hold it on, a clear map pocket on top, shoulder straps that you can carry it like a backpack and a rain cover.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my Oxford tank bag, I don't think you'd get a helmet in it but it is expandable, has magnetic side pads to hold it on, a clear map pocket on top, shoulder straps that you can carry it like a backpack and a rain cover.

What size is that mate? I've got an 18 litre oxford tank bag on its way (it came free with this year's subscription to MCN). I'm just wondering if it'll be entirely big enough to replace my rucksack for work.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site

I'd love to see your cleaning supplies list.. that bike is spotless!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What size is that mate? I've got an 18 litre oxford tank bag on its way (it came free with this year's subscription to MCN). I'm just wondering if it'll be entirely big enough to replace my rucksack for work.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure of the size, I will dig it out and see if there is a model number on it.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
That's going to have to be a big tank bag! Don't you have or use the helmet lock on the bike?

Something collapsible while riding, but expandable to fit the helmet was what I was looking for. I just have no idea (without buying first) what a 17L vs. a 29L bag would look like on the FZ6.

As for the lock -- I'm loathe to leave an Arai Signet-Q locked to the bike all day. Seeing as that was the only helmet that I could find that fit my noggin', I'm sorta required to take the fancy helmet indoors with me. Would prefer to do it, though, in the tank bag that I'm already using for wallet / phone / etc.

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a picture of mine with the Rapid Transit Recon 19. It won't fit a helmet so it's not a suggestion for you to purchase, but it gives you another idea of what the collapsed bag might look like since it's approximately the same size.

Last edited:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Something collapsible while riding, but expandable to fit the helmet was what I was looking for. I just have no idea (without buying first) what a 17L vs. a 29L bag would look like on the FZ6.

As for the lock -- I'm loathe to leave an Arai Signet-Q locked to the bike all day. Seeing as that was the only helmet that I could find that fit my noggin', I'm sorta required to take the fancy helmet indoors with me. Would prefer to do it, though, in the tank bag that I'm already using for wallet / phone / etc.

Just curious why you would like to keep it in a bag? Just to keep everything all together? I have a helmet specific bag with a rope pull strap to close it that I carry my helmet in to prevent scratching. I also bring my tailbag with lunch/wallet/phone etc inside, so I'm carrying two items.

Cheers

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious why you would like to keep it in a bag? Just to keep everything all together? I have a helmet specific bag with a rope pull strap to close it that I carry my helmet in to prevent scratching. I also bring my tailbag with lunch/wallet/phone etc inside, so I'm carrying two items.

Cheers

Right now, I ride with the following...

Saddle bags (old Nelson Rigg that came with the bike) - for carrying gloves for weather changes, a kick stand puck, work shoes, etc.

Tank bag (falling apart secondhand Marsee) - for carrying keys, wallet, cramp buster, usb to sae plug, shirt that I change into at work, etc.

Messenger bag - for my laptop

I carry the messenger bag, tank bag and helmet into the office now.

If I could get a larger tank bag or even a tall tail bag, I would ditch the saddle bags entirely except for longer trips. I would put the helmet in the expanding bag and go from three things to two things to haul into the office.

I've considered a top case too for locking up the helmet and leaving it outside. Just not sure how I feel about how it looks.

nthdegreeburns

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Right now, I ride with the following...

Saddle bags (old Nelson Rigg that came with the bike) - for carrying gloves for weather changes, a kick stand puck, work shoes, etc.

Tank bag (falling apart secondhand Marsee) - for carrying keys, wallet, cramp buster, usb to sae plug, shirt that I change into at work, etc.

Messenger bag - for my laptop

I carry the messenger bag, tank bag and helmet into the office now.

If I could get a larger tank bag or even a tall tail bag, I would ditch the saddle bags entirely except for longer trips. I would put the helmet in the expanding bag and go from three things to two things to haul into the office.

I've considered a top case too for locking up the helmet and leaving it outside. Just not sure how I feel about how it looks.

nthdegreeburns

Sounds like a full ride!;)

About your last point there, there may be an affect on the helmet with all the heat inside the top box.. not 100% sure, just an idea..

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a Motopak 17L tankbag (among a bunch of other stuff) packed to the brim with camera stuff. Instead of the tankbag though, may I suggest a top case. It is without a doubt the single best thing I have done to my bike. The big Givi's like my E52 will fit two helmets assuming there is nothing else in there.

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
a4ujaqeq.jpg

Won't fit a helmet (maybe a very small child's helmet), but i like it allot. Its a Dowco sporttrax (i believe).

Matching tail bag is nice to. I just need better side bags.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

JeffSez59

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an icon tank bag which for what I do has been perfect. If your not travelling cross country its size isn't a problem, it's actually much larger than you would think. [emoji106] That plus my mini side bags and there's plenty of room between the three.

Of course it's filled at the moment with some fresh new jersey bagels! [emoji16] Delicious!

agyjyguq.jpg

u4u7yhed.jpg

vu4e6e5a.jpg

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a Motopak 17L tankbag (among a bunch of other stuff) packed to the brim with camera stuff. Instead of the tankbag though, may I suggest a top case. It is without a doubt the single best thing I have done to my bike. The big Givi's like my E52 will fit two helmets assuming there is nothing else in there.
Instead of the tankbag though, may I suggest a top case. It is without a doubt the single best thing I have done to my bike. The big Givi's like my E52 will fit two helmets assuming there is nothing else in there.

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

Couple of questions...

• Does the top case block soft saddle bag installation? I dunno that I'd ever do hard side cases.
  • Shad has a terrible website that doesn't show application numbers or a bike specific catalog -- are they pretty easy to order? Or is Givi my only option?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a full ride!;)

About your last point there, there may be an affect on the helmet with all the heat inside the top box.. not 100% sure, just an idea..

It shouldn't be a full ride. I'm overpacking to commute 12 miles. The weather has been an issue (very cold mornings, tolerable afternoons) in Atlanta. I want to ditch the saddlebags unless I'm going on a fun (not commute) ride.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Couple of questions...

• Does the top case block soft saddle bag installation? I dunno that I'd ever do hard side cases.
  • Shad has a terrible website that doesn't show application numbers or a bike specific catalog -- are they pretty easy to order? Or is Givi my only option?

Nope, the top case brackets actually give you something to support the soft saddlebags from. I've never used Shad, but pretty sure they have an FZ6 setup. SW-Motech makes brackets that fit most major brands of hard luggage.