RIP Paul Walker

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a rider a per say but pretty stand up guy who supported many and used his association to the motorsports world to help others. Its tragic loss and horrible way to leave this earth for him and the driver.

May they both RIP

'Fast & Furious' star Paul Walker killed in car crash - CNN.com

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling" - Paul Walker

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sad to hear, I read about it on yahoo this morning. I hope the cause of the crash isn't the usual, and that it was an accident.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Very sad. Gorgeous man. One of the few "nice" people in Hollywood.

x2

He seemed like a really sincere guy.

However, I do wonder on some cold sleepless nights how our world would be different without Fast and Furious franchise.

I can only dream of streets not being littered with old POS "ricer" Honda civics with 4 inch exhausts and multitude of "racing" stickers equalizing in about 20hp boost.

sniff... it almost brought tears in my eyes...

Anyway. RIP Mr. Walker, I sincerely enjoyed your movies.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
x2

He seemed like a really sincere guy.

However, I do wonder on some cold sleepless nights how our world would be different without Fast and Furious franchise.

I can only dream of streets not being littered with old POS "ricer" Honda civics with 4 inch exhausts and multitude of "racing" stickers equalizing in about 20hp boost.

sniff... it almost brought tears in my eyes...

Anyway. RIP Mr. Walker, I sincerely enjoyed your movies.

Kinda of an ignorant statement. Civics were being riced out before that. The movie just didn't make It up. I wish smokey and the bandit had never been made because now people run from cops. :S
Besides the black Hondas (which were tastefully done) that movie featured a lot of genuine fast cars. The gs-t eclipse (not the green NT with the hood up) rx-7, GTR, the MKIV supra. Hell even lettys 240 with the Silvia swap was niice. Those cars Stand out.

Anyways, he was riding in his Porsche GT 05 model. Those cars have killed quiet a few people. But if you think about it. Those cars are made out of Carbon fiber, but they seem to like bursting into flames.

I watched the first two movies last night. He will be missed, he left behind a daughter :(

Last edited:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never actually witnessed a car killing anyone. I've seen people run over other people and I've watch poor engineering burn a car to the ground (usually Dodge, occasionally Chevy) but I've never seen a car kill someone of its own volition.

I will say that I've watched quite a few Porche's on the SCCA track and they tend to spin out and handle much worse than similar cars in their class (could just be the drivers again).

I do know that in my part of America, we didn't have the civics with the 4" pipes, stock eclipses with the carbon fiber wings, or stoplight to stoplight street racing every night until that movie came out. He might have been a "good guy" but his acting career definitely did nothing for motor vehicle safety or for all of the primer gray Neons with sagging suspension and dented fender panels. Sure, cars were being tweaked before but not at this kind of level.

It's the same old story all the way around. Movies glorifying unsafe actions and illegal activities have no effect on people but violent video games create homicidal kids....

I don't buy any of that crap but it's also not hard to give stupid people stupid ideas - and let's be serious... Hollywood's audience isn't the intellectuals.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
There isn't a single primer grey neon in the films? People have always been stupid. The films just made you more aware. The first film really got me into cars, as fake as the movies are I still enjoy watching them.

Ps: I believe the wing on the 95 eclipse was aluminum not carbon fiber ;)

With the money you spent on your fazer, I could drop into a real 4g63 eclipse and walk it. Without exploding floor pans, breaking welds on intakes and all that other dumb stuff, just sayin lol

This is close to what mine will look like when it's done :rockon: and yes that AWD car is sporting 4 Hoosier slicks :D

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I grew up in the Seattle in the 80s/90s and the first fast and the furious wasn't released until 2001. The concept of the Japanese sleeper car was already popular in my area almost 10 years before the movie came out. If people didn't do the performance mods, the custom sound system was the next big thing with the ricer owners. IMO the whole ricer culture sprouted from the asian kids wanting to have something comparable to the 'Merikan muscle cars like Mustang GT's, Camaro RS, Trans AMs, etc that were being released around that time and as far back as the late 60s. The caucasian community wasn't exactly nice to the asian community and a lot of racial sterotypes like 'oriental' and jokes like 'if you come up on someone doing 15 mph under the speed limit on the freeway its a FOB (fresh of the boat, as in human trafficking ship)' So the younger kids that were my age, first gen, maybe second gen immigrants all got into the rice racers.

The thing is kids have been racing cars forever. My dad had a souped up Ford Fairlane that he would race people stoplight to stoplight in the 60s. His friend died in a roll over accident when he was 18. Basically race/ethnicity and time/era doesn't matter in this equation. People will always have cars, people will always find a way to make them go faster and some people will die in the process. Until our ability to drive is taken away and the Google Self-Driving Car is imposed on all of us, we will be doing what we can for a thrill behind the wheel.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I grew up in the Seattle in the 80s/90s and the first fast and the furious wasn't released until 2001. The concept of the Japanese sleeper car was already popular in my area almost 10 years before the movie came out. If people didn't do the performance mods, the custom sound system was the next big thing with the ricer owners. IMO the whole ricer culture sprouted from the asian kids wanting to have something comparable to the 'Merikan muscle cars like Mustang GT's, Camaro RS, Trans AMs, etc that were being released around that time and as far back as the late 60s. The caucasian community wasn't exactly nice to the asian community and a lot of racial sterotypes like 'oriental' and jokes like 'if you come up on someone doing 15 mph under the speed limit on the freeway its a FOB (fresh of the boat, as in human trafficking ship)' So the younger kids that were my age, first gen, maybe second gen immigrants all got into the rice racers.

The thing is kids have been racing cars forever. My dad had a souped up Ford Fairlane that he would race people stoplight to stoplight in the 60s. His friend died in a roll over accident when he was 18. Basically race/ethnicity and time/era doesn't matter in this equation. People will always have cars, people will always find a way to make them go faster and some people will die in the process. Until our ability to drive is taken away and the Google Self-Driving Car is imposed on all of us, we will be doing what we can for a thrill behind the wheel.

Please, when I said "ricer" car, I only meant an old piece of crap Honda Civic with loud exhaust and a rear spoiler the size of Boeing's 747 wing, haha.

I meant not to bring in race into this at all.

I didn't know that there was a pejorative meaning to the "ricer" term. As far as I knew it meant an old piece of crap car souped up with meaningless non performance mods for "impressive" looks only.

Anyway, I just wanted to clear it up.

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
But I haven't seen a primered civic in any f&f movies.

Import/Sport Compact Racing/Tuner Scene : Asian-Nation :: Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues

Civic started the biggest upbringing in the import scene and since it Came out long before the movies I could hardly blame that.

An old piece of crap to you is someone elses pride and joy. I have a 96 cutlass supreme 2 door. 114k miles in great condition. I'm putting a dual exhaust bumper from an older model 3.4 DOHC car on it with dual exhaust and a factory 05 Malibu spoiler. Doesn't make it rice. Some people had project cars that they work on while DDing. Be careful, one of those civics may have a k20 swap in it. You may get hustled at the track. A fully gutted civic probably weighs 1500 pounds. If you can even get it close to 250-300hp it will haul ass.

Last edited:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Feel bad for his kid and wife, he chose to put himself in a terrible situation and left behind two people who he should be taking care off that's the real tragedy

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not saying that the tuner scene / racing scene wasn't around before the series started, I'm just saying it wasn't popular where I live. Racing here was done on tracks, bumper-to-bumper cruising was virtually non-existant, and the only primered cars driving around belonged to the junkies and hippies.

Now, I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a junked out import with rust, spray-paint, duct-taped on wing, bald tires, and oversized exhaust. It reminds me of the skater plague that was going around in the 90's. It may just be my twisted perception but I'm pretty much always going to associate that guy with a part of society that I don't like and won't be sad to see go. Unfortunately, it's always going to be replaced by something similar.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a little reminder....

Fallen Riders/In Memory of Condolences and well wishes only. Any other posts will be deleted. This is NOT the place to discuss whether a rider was right or wrong!!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a little reminder....

Fallen Riders/In Memory of Condolences and well wishes only. Any other posts will be deleted. This is NOT the place to discuss whether a rider was right or wrong!!

And for the record - hot rodding was well under way long before these ever came out. Take it somewhere else!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
RIP Chris Atlee

I lost a riding mate last Friday morning on his commute to work.
In a post last week, I wrote this about him:

So when the encumberance cleared after 6 months I told a guy(Chris), that parked next to me everyday that I had the honda for sale. he had a mate (Steve) looking for a bike. They came around, Chris knows his bikes so he looked it over, asked if a test ride was an option. I said to them that if Steve was happy to buy it if Chris dropped it, a ride was an option. Chris came back told Steve to buy it or he,Chris, would.

Chris was a very experienced rider 25 years worth and had bought a track bike a few years ago so he could improve further and satisfy all his riding desires without doing it on the road. I only rode a short distance with him once, and he was a courteous and confident rider.

But most of all he was a really nice guy, he got married about 15 months ago and he had talked to me every morning about his upcoming wedding and his girl Tammy.
I will miss him, and I am sure his closer friends will find a big hole in their lives that will never fill again
RIP Chris

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So sorry Ade.

Thinking of you

Thanks Karen, Chris was one of those blokes that every girl would hope to find as a partner and the kind of bloke every man hope to be able to count as a friend. He wasnt in my super close friendship group, but I am glad I met him and talked with him about his life's aspirations.
He had a wicked sense of humour and a dedication to his friends and family.
his passing has rocked me a bit, I'm more upset the more I think about him,
its just so incredibly sad

Everyone,
be careful out there

Last edited: