Pilot road 4 will be out in January

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 needs a back tire BAD I wonder if the wire bands will last until then!

The PR3 are awesome as it is the original pilot road was plenty good!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TBH I switched back to PR2's as my PR3's started cupping as they wore down, so I had to change them earlier than the PR2's.
I must admit though this sounds better than the PR3's:
Up to 20% longer tread life than Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires
So for me the question is whether to stay with the 2's or go with the 4's next time around.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Saw some price quotes from a tyre guy on facebook, looks like the PR4 will be almost exactly the same price as the PR3.

These are the prices he quoted (for fz6 sized tyres)

Pilot Road 3
120/70X17 = £101.00
180/55X17 = £134.00

Pilot Road 4
120/70X17 = £103.00
180/55X17 = £135.00

The 190 and 170 tyres are actually cheaper than the PR3's!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
TBH I switched back to PR2's as my PR3's started cupping as they wore down, so I had to change them earlier than the PR2's.
I must admit though this sounds better than the PR3's:

So for me the question is whether to stay with the 2's or go with the 4's next time around.

+1 ^.

I can say from experiance with my old Bridgstones (023's as I re-call) on my old FJR, the MORE ridges you have crossing the tread (especially the front), the more cupping at the edges you'll get (not good).

My front PR2 on the FZ has got about 12,000 miles on it and may, be half worn... Can't speak for the rear PR2 tire as I've picked up objects in the tire that were un-repairable. There's currently a PR3 (with lots of ridges) as that's what they had in stock.

I can't really feel the difference between the 2 and 3. I'll probably get another 2 when this front eventually wears out..:thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ^.

I can say from experiance with my old Bridgstones (023's as I re-call) on my old FJR, the MORE ridges you have crossing the tread (especially the front), the more cupping at the edges you'll get (not good).

My front PR2 on the FZ has got about 12,000 miles on it and may, be half worn... Can't speak for the rear PR2 tire as I've picked up objects in the tire that were un-repairable. There's currently a PR3 (with lots of ridges) as that's what they had in stock.

I can't really feel the difference between the 2 and 3. I'll probably get another 2 when this front eventually wears out..:thumbup:

The PR 2 & 3's are made from the exact same rubber compound, the only differences are the extra thin lines on the 3's, which as you say Scott caused cupping on the tyres.

Reading the article PR 4's have have a new rubber compound so I might be tempted, when I need new tyres (probably around spring time) :thumbup:.

Ideally I want the old PR2 shape, made with the new (improved) rubber compound, but I don't think that's going to happen :(.

crazycd1

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got PR3 and only have 300 miles on them, looks like I will be waiting. Now you have me worried about the front cupping early!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The PR 2 & 3's are made from the exact same rubber compound, the only differences are the extra thin lines on the 3's, which as you say Scott caused cupping on the tyres.

Reading the article PR 4's have have a new rubber compound so I might be tempted, when I need new tyres (probably around spring time) :thumbup:.

Ideally I want the old PR2 shape, made with the new (improved) rubber compound, but I don't think that's going to happen :(.

By the time I'm due, they'll be some postings on how well they hold up, etc...

I know I can't complain AT ALL about the front PR2 for wear and tear and NO cupping... The longest wearing tire I've ever owned... :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got PR3 and only have 300 miles on them, looks like I will be waiting. Now you have me worried about the front cupping early!

The cupping I had were with Bridgestones on a much larger (higher HP and weight)bike than the FZ. The front cupped so bad, that when backing up, standing along side the FJR, wheel turned left, it felt like I had knobbies on it.. I also started getting a de-cel wobble. That was with about 6,000 on the clock. I wasn't aware of the Michelins and put OEM Bridgestones on again (can you say duh!)..

The FZ6, being lighter, the HP much higher (your moving) in the RPM range and without the torque of the FJR, is considerably easier on tires...

My local shop guys rarely see me anymore... :(

Needless to say, love my Michelins way more than B stones... :)

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry don't mean to be scare mongering about the PR3's, they are great tyres it was just they cupped before I got the best wear out of them . As far as I'm aware I'm the only one to have encountered this problem with these tyres but they say it can be due to several factors, now I check my tyres regularly but they also say it can be due to riding style, use of brakes and the weight of the rider .

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet, my Z8's are nearly dead. If these are priced decently, will definitely get them.

Been through two sets of PR2's and one set of PR3's so far

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet, my Z8's are nearly dead. If these are priced decently, will definitely get them.

Been through two sets of PR2's and one set of PR3's so far

Of the PR2s vs the PR3s', what's you opinion on overall miles you got out of each, ie, which lasted longer BEFORE CUPPING, SQUARING OFF, NO TREAD, etc?

Most of us are aware of the better performance of the 3's in wet conditions, but overall, real mileage, would be nice to know (as it takes, at least me) so long to wear them out..

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeeesss! I got 19k out of my PR3's I'm on my second set and I love them, rode all year in Seattle and never broke traction once on pavement these puppies sipe water like no tomorrow. Sure the price will come down on the PR3's but these have so many new features why go back? 20% more tread life, better stopping power, new compound and three versions?!?!?! OH MY!!!! :rockon::thumbup::cheer::Flash::eek: