What Octane? - I'm in Canada

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The diff between the gas with ethanol and the shell 91 is a few bucks for our tank. Worth it IMO. Unless u ride all year round ethanol will take a toll on the fizzer..even then Id hate to put it through her veins.....

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Owner's manual calls for 86 or higher.

Also in the owner's manual: ethanol up to 10% is okay. It's a mandatory anti-pollution additive in many regions so it's tough to avoid. Just use a stabilizer (e.g., Sta-Bil) in the fuel if it sits for a long time, like over winter.

Opinions on what is best will vary -- but this is what Yamaha calls for.

--

Canada's octane rating system is the same as USA's: (R+M)/2

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
Owner's manual calls for 86 or higher.

Also in the owner's manual: ethanol up to 10% is okay. It's a mandatory anti-pollution additive in many regions so it's tough to avoid. Just use a stabilizer (e.g., Sta-Bil) in the fuel if it sits for a long time, like over winter.

Opinions on what is best will vary -- but this is what Yamaha calls for.

--

Canada's octane rating system is the same as USA's: (R+M)/2

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

+1...I have to say, I've often read many a horror story of gummed up innerds, and I don't ride as much as I'd like...and my bikes have sat over winter as many of ours do...no issues. I pulled the carbs of my previous bike (04 Katana), because i was paranoid of any issues. Opened them up, pulled the jets and floats and they were all shiny and like new inside.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
If I could get ethanol-free fuel here, I would certainly pay extra to use it in my bike and lawn equipment, regardless of the octane.

When it was mandated here 8 or 9 years ago, I ruined a couple lawn mower carbs before I figured out what was going on. Sta-bil now goes in everything that may get parked for while, and no problems since.

Maybe of use to someone: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used fuel stabilizer on my ninja when winterizing it but didn't for the FZ...and was fine but that might of been because of the one good day mid-end winter where I rode it

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the option of something non-ethanol at a decent price, run it, 87 octane or 110 octane! The couple dollars a tank is way worth it.... and ethanol also has a lower energy content than gasoline, costing you mileage.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Ontario and I run regular in it full time with absolutely no issues, I will fill up with premium and put some seafoam in the tank for when it sits over the winter but that's it, the worry with ethanol is that it can absorb water which can become a problem if your leaving it sitting in your tank for extended periods of time.

That's why gas at marine pumps is so expensive, its not just a mark up for having a boat, they only serve premium because the environment and storage time boats usually experience promote water absorption hense 100% ethanol free.

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Ontario and I run regular in it full time with absolutely no issues, I will fill up with premium and put some seafoam in the tank for when it sits over the winter but that's it, the worry with ethanol is that it can absorb water which can become a problem if your leaving it sitting in your tank for extended periods of time.

That's why gas at marine pumps is so expensive, its not just a mark up for having a boat, they only serve premium because the environment and storage time boats usually experience promote water absorption hense 100% ethanol free.

So basically, I should shop wasting my money on 91 and go with 87.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Ethanol is bad.....for a few bucks its a NO-BRAINER.....

http://www.goldeagle.com/UserFiles/file/Ethanol 411/Ethanol -- The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.pdf

Run it if you have no other choices or a cheeeepskate......

That whole "essay" which seems to be about selling sta-bil for the most part is about issues with machines being stored and how ethanol can gum up the works with extended sitting times unused. That is well documented but the original question is about using regular gas which can contain up to 10% ethanol for day to day use.

Your not being a cheapskate by using regular, what you are doing is not buying into the hype and idea that since its more expensive it should be better for my engine. I agree completely on using a stabilizer to help with the long term ethanol issues with regular fuel and as I mentioned before when I fill up at the end of the season to store my bike I fill with premium and mix in some seafoam. But for day to day use with fresh gas once a week or so you are paying way too much for something that's not really doing anything extra for you. This point is especially valid as regular gas in Ontario right now is about 1.38/L and expected to keep rising into the summer.