WTB: OEM FZ1N headlight

haraiianpunch

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for an oem fz1n style headlight (not VS01/02). Anyone have one to sell or know where to find one?
I know part shark has a kit but $600+ is a bit expensive.
Are the ebay ones junk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the ebay one and put a bi-xenon HID in it. The quality is decent, got the job done. So no real complaints yet from having it installed for a few weeks. But it was kind of a PITA to install/modify everything for it to mount correctly on the FZ6..

I'm heading off to work now, but I can try to post some pics of it and answer any questions you have.

haraiianpunch

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thanks for the input. I would love To hear any advice on what I need to buy and or fabricate to install an ebay fz1 light? Pics always appreciated :)

Instructions are kind of scattered through the forums.
I'd appreciate any help you can offer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I got your PM for the headlight and how-to. Information is indeed scattered everywhere so here are a few pointers to get you started, assuming you don't mind the eBay kit.

First, you should know that the Fz6n kit (pictured) is easier to do than the Fz1n headlight (pictured) as the fz6n speedo bracket will fit the Fz6 perfectly. If you want to fit the Fz1n bracket to the Fz6, you will have to modify the bracket. See picture that shows where it needs to be modified. Got that pic from another forum when I was doing my research at the time.

As for my setup, I did not have any bracket at all and didn't want to pay $100+ for a bracket which I would have to modify. So I used some turn signal clamps to mount the fairings & headlight directly to the cylinders. Attached is a picture of the clamps and you can find those on eBay. The disadvantage is that you can see the clamps on the cylinders and you will still need a bracket to hold the speedo, but the advantage is that it does free up some space behind the headlight and it feels very sturdy. As for the speedo mount, I had to fabricate my own. I used a model that someone else did (can't find reference) and worked it from there. I transferred the model on photoshop so that printing will provide you with an exact size. The final shape came out differently from the starting model but I don't have a digital model unfortunately. You can see the end result for my setup in this thread - http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/50668-yet-another-fz1n-headlight-conversion.html

You will also have to rework and reroute the cables. I found that the best is to reroute some of the cables inside the frame and hide the excess cables behind the battery. You can also route the part of the cables so that they come out on the right side rather than the left side of the frame. This will mean that you have to remove the battery and holder, which makes it a bit more tedious to do. If you do this part correctly you should have very little clutter behind your headlight and you should be able to even hide ballast etc if you are also doing an HID conversion. You can get away without tucking the cables inside the frame but it will be a total mess behind the headlight.

The conversion will require a few bolts and nuts, which you will get from removing the Fz6's original fairing. You will probably need a few other small items.

Hope this gets you started. Once you start, you can post specific questions on this forum. There are a bunch of very helpful members here.