Height 5'8": FZ1 or FZ6R handle bar, that is the question!

If I were 5'8", I would:

• Total voters

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Like many of you, my wrists hurt from the stock handlebar, so I need to change it. Reading through 20+ threads here, I came to the conclusion that the FZ1 handlebar is pretty popular, and some people recommend FZ6R handlebar for shorter people.

I like the looks of the FZ1 bars, but I'm only 5'8". Should I play safe with the FZ6R, or FZ1 are going to be just ok. If you were to compare the FZ1 bars upgrade and how a supersport bike feels, would you say the FZ1 bars installed on the FZ6 would make it as uncomfortable as the supersport, given my height?

I don't mind a little bit more aggressive position, but not as much as a supersport (that's why I've got the FZ6 and not the R6, duh)

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
would you say the FZ1 bars installed on the FZ6 would make it as uncomfortable as the supersport, given my height?

I don't mind a little bit more aggressive position, but not as much as a supersport (that's why I've got the FZ6 and not the R6, duh)

Not even close to supersport position. It'll still be much more relaxed. You need to decide for yourself what you want to end up with. Same rise but straighter bar (FZ6R) or straighter bar and about a 1" drop (FZ1).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'-7" but I drag my knuckles on the ground :eek: :D

When I had my FZ6 I put the FZ1 bars on and it was really comfortable for me.

We are all so different. How our muscle work and different dynamics in our bodies with respect to positioning.
I voted FZ1 bars because they worked for me. Then again I'm now on the SV1000s which is a more aggressive riding position. I put in 13 hours in one day in that position a few months ago. I was fine but someone else or even a less aggressive position may not work well for them or me.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Wish you still had your bike cliff. I would like to sit on an fz6 with fz1 bars and get a feel for the difference.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
5'6" here ... I have the straight bar on my bike I won't go back. The stock bar is a little more comfy on slow rides though town but on highway or twisties the straight bar is the way to go for me. Can't see how height would matter on the bars, when I am stopped I can reach both types just fine. Guess if you were short backed instead of short legged maybe. I am a evenly proportioned short guy and have no troubles. :D

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im 5' 9" and switched to the FZ1 bars, love them! I could never get comfortable on the stock bars and they hurt my back and wrists. :thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for FZ1 bars. The FZ1 bars don't have as much rise as the stocker or the FZ6r bars. Very happy since switching them out. your wrists will thank you

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I switched to FZ1 bars and like you, was a little unsure if it was the right bar for my body shape. I am 5'8 1/2" 180lbs (ding ding ding) and 50 years old. The FZ1 bar is perfect for me. I can ride as many miles as I want to in a day and not feel any wrist, back or shoulder pain. It may also help to have a TS seat and a nice Breakaway throttle lock.

Anyway, bars are cheap and if it is not right for you, buy another style till you get the right fit.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
5' 10" and have put a lot of miles on the stock bars and the FZ1 bars. The FZ1 bars are much better for longer rides. Only advantage of the stock bars is you can sit more upright when just cruisin around. When riding more aggressively the FZ1 bars are much better. On the interstate the buffeting is better with enough push to prop me up. Try sitting on the bike with your wrists on top of the bar - that will give an idea of what the FZ1 bars will feel like. I bought mine from a local dealership for $30 to $40. Another dealership quoted me over $100. Probably was not looking at the right part number or was an assembly instead of just the bars.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for fz6r bars. Only because I havent tried the fz1 bars and im loving my fz6r bars right now. Very comfortable bars for me. But who knows fz1 bars are cheap. I might try them just because.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't sell the FZ6R bars short....They address the flaw in the standard FZ6 bars which was too much pull back. If you're 5'8" tall or less, you might find the FZ1 bars stretch you out too much.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As Cliff said, there are other factors -

We could all be 5'10" but its the split that matters. Some get their height in the legs and others in the torso. Me I have short legs with a 32" inseam. Its easy to flat foot the bike but I'd prefer straighter bars that came up just a little because if you straighten the bars, its going to pull you forward slightly....

I'd suggest getting info from others with about the same inseam as you. just my 2 cents

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Do a search on the FZ6R forum. Some of the boys went with the Renthal. I have the Renthal 787. It's quite upright, but I like it. It relax for long ride. I like the fact that they're black and blend better with the bike. I was getting a lot of vibration from the stock 6R bars...

Here's one (Sporty one...)How To: Replace Stock Handlebars with Renthal Bars - Page 3 - Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Here 2 pics of the bars on my bike. My wife is sitting on it, she's 5'5". I'm 5'9", I lean forward a bit more. The other one... it's a little dark, but it's all i have on this computer.

Hope it help in your decision...

Last edited:

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this the one for the FZ6R?

Edit: *Whoops, link didnt work*

It listed for about 50 bucks on a yami parts website. The 2009 one should work correct?

Last edited:

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, I'm the OP, now that I had a chance for a couple of long trips with the FZ1 bars, I can say that I love it. I'm 5'8", don't think I've got long or short hands, just average, though I haven't measured. I find the bars extremely comfortable. In fact, I feel like I could handle even more stretch without noticing, so I highly recommend the switch!

Best,

Corsara

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a set of Renthal 611 and they are a bit too short for me. I have the CNC bar end mirrors and some handguard. If you are not using any of those two and like the profile they are for sale. I rode with them 2 x 15 minutes only (work-home-work). Paid $65.00, I want $50.00

Kind of suck because I like them better than my Rental 787... less swept back, ah well.

NOTE: I drill & tap them to use the stock bar end. (professionally done... I'm a machinist!)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'8", 54 years old and prefer the more up right position.

Just the lean forward with the stock FZ bars was too much for me.

1" risers helped but not enough. I ended up with Gen Mar, 1" up, 1" & 3/8" back, stock bar.

Nice and comfy now, no fatigue what so ever.

Note: I did paint the risers to match the center, GPS support.

Last edited: