Do you use your clutch?

Do you clutch up?

• Total voters

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
How many people use their clutch to change up if their moving on good roads. I don't, I just dip the accelerator and change up. I would use the clutch if I’m in town or riding slowly and always use it for changing down regardless of speed.
I'm no racer or anything but when you get used to it you can have real smooth gear changes.:Sport:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Need a 3rd option. Sometimes I use it and sometimes I don't.. for both UP and DOWN shifting.

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't shifting without the clutch result in premature wear on the drivetrain?

Can anyone explain the pros vs. cons for doing this?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't shifting without the clutch result in premature wear on the drivetrain?

If done correctly, it should not result in premature wear.
Pros: faster than using clutch (not necessary for normal riding, obviously). Satisfying when done right.. lets you know you you're good at matching rpm to speed.
Cons: can be clunky if you don't get it right.

Completely unnecessary, but fun to play with.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site

Manual transmissions in ANY vehicle (with some exceptions) have clutches for good reason. I suppose (if you're really good) you can disengage a trans with the throttle and good timing, but you're not going to be successful 100% of the time. I would never shift gears without using the clutch - it's asking for trouble.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll echo what's already been said, and say it's not worth it.

It's easy to do, but ultimately pointless to do on the road. It's a foregone conclusion it will result in premature wear.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site

Motorbikes have a Sequential Gearboxes (i think all modern ones but don't quote me) You don't need a clutch to change if your revs are about right. Changing up is grand but if you get it wrong changing down on a powerful bike I believe the back wheel could try to slow more than the its spinning causing a lock up effect and probably sending you for a short flight.
I'm no mechanic but I read this in a mag a while back. And as we all know if its in a bike mag it must be true.:D

Have a look here
HowStuffWorks "How Sequential Gearboxes Work"

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
Clutchless up from 3rd and above, never down the box, when changing down at speed, ie, decelerating, the back wheel can still lock up, a "blip" of the throttle whilst the clutch is engaged can raise the revs to counter this. Takes a bit of practise.

There's no need to get the revs right on the up-shift, just drop the throttle and change up :thumbup: if you "load" the gear shift with a bit of "weight" from your foot just before dropping the throttle it seems to just slip into gear. Gear changes are pretty "seemless" doing this from 3rd up, it can be a bit "clunky" from 2nd to 3rd and 1st to 2nd I've found is a big no-no.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just preload the shifter, close the throttle a hair and up shift, works great. For a down shift I use the clutch to match speeds.

Get a quick shifter and it's like heaven. :thumbup: So fast to shift.

rjo3491

Reaction score
Visit site
"Get a quick shifter and it's like heaven. :thumbup: So fast to shift."

What's a, "Quick Shifter"??

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
This thread is a good reason why I don't buy used bikes. If done correctly you don't really need the clutch, but guess what, most people don't usually do it correctly which puts added wear and tear on the box. Then they sell the bike down the road to some unsuspecting schlub as 'mint condition, never been abused'. I always use the clutch as that is the way I was taught. And in 35 years of riding have never had any clutch problems. That is good enough for me.

rjo3491

Reaction score
Visit site
This thread is a good reason why I don't buy used bikes. If done correctly you don't really need the clutch, but guess what, most people don't usually do it correctly which puts added wear and tear on the box. Then they sell the bike down the road to some unsuspecting schlub as 'mint condition, never been abused'. I always use the clutch as that is the way I was taught. And in 35 years of riding have never had any clutch problems. That is good enough for me.

You're dead on, dude!

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site

+1^

Agree with you.

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll stick to using the clutch, cuz with my luck I'd try it once and dump my tranny. haha

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I look at it this way : The clutch is there for a reason. Which would you rather replace, the clutch or transmission parts? The clutch is cheaper and easier. Plus, I'd worry about messing up the transmission just from trying to learn clutch-less shifting! It doesn't take much to get the ball rolling via damage. You could damage a gear dog, and it'll ride fine for a while, then before you know it, it's clunking and on it's way out the door! If you know how to do it, more power to ya! For me, I'll stick to the clutch. Fast enough for me! :thumbup:

nissanpunkrock

Reaction score
Visit site
if you preload your tranny by lightly or heavily accelerating, then unload it by gently rolling off the throttle, as you roll off the throttle all tension in the trans gears is releved, and on a motorcycle with a sequential gear box, you can click up the gears from 2nd to 3rd etc...

do not shift out of first EVER without clutch
do not shift down without clutch EVER, you cannot unload a tranny and then put the stress of a lower gear down on it- by its very nature a lower gear adds stress- a higher gear relieves stress

some good drives can do it in a car by the same idea of loading and unloading the tranny but its not a sequential gear box so really-- you will tear it up
rally cars indy cars etc all use a seq. gear box- no street cars

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
If I don't use the clutch to shift up in gears, to me it's taking away from the experience and knowledge of my clutch. Geeze, at slow speed maneuvering it's essential you know the Clutch on the bike. It's a part of the mechanics of the bike.